Core? Or not to core?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by jJjburton, Sep 21, 2020.

1. jJjburton

jJjburton Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Who does core?

do other exercises like squats or deadlifts or bench work core enough?

Looking for preventing injury to areas like lower back or hernias, etc.

Silentlemon1011 likes this.
  2. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I'm really on the fence about it for myself. I've went through periods of doing a lot of core work and periods with zero core work and I'm not sure how much it helps. For me anyway, my core doesn't seem to be a limiting factor. Same with grip on deadlift.

3. jJjburton

jJjburton Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

One of the reason i wanted to maybe start hitting core is the anterior pelvic tilt i believe i have. Its a little to much for my liking. So bring core strength up and that arched back more neutral should avoid slipping a disc as time progresses.

one of the main reason for slipping a disc is anterior pelvic tilt

i have done bouts of core work myself.

So i am thinking planning core around heavy days to prevent injury.

or maybe only doing core during a hypertrophy block, not a strength block.

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  4. Villain

Villain Member

I always do core at least 2-3 days a week just because. While squats and dead’s hit it, I like to have one dedicated day of core which is same day as chest and then the next two days will hit core through dead’s and squats. My routine always builds on the last but hits all the major parts.

jJjburton likes this.
  5. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

It really depends on how you train. If you do lots of squatting (front squatting especially) and deadlifts, chances are that your core isn't your weak point.

If you find yourself losing tightness on squats or deadlifts, chances are that you need to do some extra core work or you're going to get hurt.

I'll throw in some ab roller sets here and there, but I don't have any days specifically dedicated to core work. I'm one of those weirdos who love front squats, so core has never been a problem area for me.

6. Barny

Barny Member

Since herniating my L2 and L5 I've sworn by planks, leg raises and variations of deadbugs (basically anything that doesn't involve masses of flexion in your spine) they aren't glamorous but they have helped my back immensely and also build decent core strength.

jJjburton and Oldschool like this.
  7. I’ve had two low back disc herniations and surgeries. For me, core work is important. I bought a GHD last Christmas and I’ve been using it for sit-ups pretty much every training session since then. It’s been awesome for building strength and mass all throughout my whole core.

jJjburton likes this.
  8. I throw it in depending g how I’m feeling. I think if you over do it on core you leave yourself at risk to injury.

I mean my core is wild, I can feel some fat wash board abs under my layer of belly fat. I can do abs every day and nothing will change unless I quit being fat... (14-15%) lol. But that being said if I wanted to specifically strengthen my core then definitely should throw it in 1-3 times a week but be sure to be recovered when you hit those Heavy squats and dead’s.