Critique my training?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by 350lift, Nov 5, 2019.

1. 350lift

350lift Member

I try to do intensity and destroy myself every set but wonder if I should be adding more volume.

chest triceps
    Flat bench 3x8
    Incline 3x8
    Flys 3x12

weighted dips 3x12-15

Close grip 3x8
    Skullcrushers 3x10
    Tricep pushdown 3x12 one arm, immediately after each arm I do both arms and higher weight for same reps

legs
    4x6 squat
    3x8 Romanian deadlift
    Leg extension 4x15
    Leg curl 4x15
    Calf raise 4x 15 bent knees x 15 toes inwards

shoulders
    Barbell ohp 4x8
    Side raise 3x 12-15 then I run the rack on 4th set down to 5 lbs
    reverse flys dumbells 4x15 also run the rack on last set
    Barbell shrugs 3x8-12

back biceps
    Deadlift 4x6
    Lat pulldown two sets underhand two sets overhand
    Barbell rows 4x8
    Dumbell row 2x10
    Reverse fly 3x12-15

dumbell curl 3x10
    Barbell curl 3x8-10
    Hammer curl across chest 3x8

sometimes add 3 sets preacher curl

3 minute rest time between compounds and 2-3 minutes between everything else

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. 350lift

350lift Member

And for abs I do after shoulders 3-4 sets hanging leg raises toes to bar my abs grow like a wild fire to the point they almost look protruded when I’m bloated so I think that’s good enough

3. johntt44

johntt44 Member

My handicapped older sister does the same workout but with more intensity You better step it up bitch!!! :)

350lift likes this.
  4. 350lift

350lift Member

Damn

johntt44 likes this.
  5. Switcher

Switcher Member

I rarely comment on routines... everything is specific to the individual. That was one of Dr. Squat's principles, frankly. Since I see so many threads popping up on this, I will offer the following...

Think of bodybuilding workouts as a circle.

At different points on the circle there are competing variables.

Among those variables are:
    1. Workout (bodypart) frequency
    2. Volume
    a. Exercises
    b. Sets per exercise
    c. Combining of body parts in workouts and the effect on volume for minor parts (i.e. biceps with back, et...)
    3. Sustained intensity
    (There are probably more to consider but its early)

If you change one variable, it will undoubtedly result in the reconsideration of others.

Consider how long a day lasts to a 5 year old. Everything is new, hours take forever. Each day is an absolute adventure full of new promise and growth.

Consider how long a day lasts to a 30 year old. Everything is routine and there is rarely time to squeeze everything in. If nothing in the day changes, there is little to no need to growth to accommodate anything new.

The older you get into this sport or past time, the more you need change to keep things fresh and avoid the tried and true routine that just allows you to get through without needed growth and development.

A bodybuilder necessarily needs to continue to revisit workouts and the exercises being used. Always looking to change up the workout keeps the body in need of responding.

Consider those old, old Weider shocking principles. That was all about breaking up the monotony and encouraging growth. What happens when there is little to no monotony?

For me, I have no routine. I have parameters. I have a threshold on the number of sets per bodypart for a given frequency. I have certain areas for emphasis on each bodypart but always have multiple exercises for targeting those areas. I don't even do the same number of repetitions per set from workout to workout because we have both fast and slow twitch fibers that need attention.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    theOH and 350lift like this.
  6. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

Honestly, this looks more like a to-do list—limiting and, sorry dude, but very generic. How long have you been lifting? Your emphasis on the inconsequential things may end up becoming a limiting factor in growth.

If you’re doing that many movements per session and feel your volume isn’t high enough, then you definitely aren’t working with the right intensity.

Silentlemon1011 likes this.
  7. DonaldPump123

DonaldPump123 Member

Set routines are ghey, just go fucking kill it and have fun doing it. Keep it interesting by mixing it up and always train to failure regardless of weight on the bar. What would build more muscle, 3x8 on a flat bench press with a set amount of weight, or going about it like this:
    135 to failure (maybe you get 35 reps)
    185 to failure (maybe you get 20 reps)
    225 to failure (maybe you get 12 reps)
    275 to failure (maybe you get 6 reps)
    Just leave the ego at the door and say fuck the amount of weight on the bar, just gonna pump my chest till it fucking explodes out of my skin and keep the bar moving until I can't budge it an inch.

My two cents but everyone gonna have their own preference. Point is don't over think it

Sworder likes this.
  8. such a great way if viewing it!
    I like to think the same way, I feel like going to TOWN on a workout.. fuck yeah 7 sets! (ausually close grip BP lol)

I bodybuild as a hobby, I want to enjoy it!

DonaldPump123 likes this.
  9. theOH

theOH Junior Member

[QUOTE="What happens when there is little to no monotony?

For me, I have no routine. I have parameters. I have a threshold on the number of sets per bodypart for a given frequency. I have certain areas for emphasis on each bodypart but always have multiple exercises for targeting those areas. I don't even do the same number of repetitions per set from workout to workout because we have both fast and slow twitch fibers that need attention.[/QUOTE]

I was going to post something similar to a guy on another forum, then decided he was just a pu$$y and let it go.

I don’t follow a schedule of lifts. That turns the workout into work. Like you HAVE to do it vs want to do it. I know which body parts I want to hit each session. I have my favorite exercises and make sure I enjoy the workout. I never dread doing anything. The mirror tells me if I’m doing well. I don’t need to keep any type of progressive overload schedule.

Basically, you should be enjoying your workout.

Switcher and DonaldPump123 like this.
  10. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

I agree and disagree with this. For BB this works. For getting your numbers up it’s horrible. Depends what you’re going for, I guess.

I was going to post something similar to a guy on another forum, then decided he was just a pu$$y and let it go.

I don’t follow a schedule of lifts. That turns the workout into work. Like you HAVE to do it vs want to do it. I know which body parts I want to hit each session. I have my favorite exercises and make sure I enjoy the workout. I never dread doing anything. The mirror tells me if I’m doing well. I don’t need to keep any type of progressive overload schedule.

Basically, you should be enjoying your workout.[/QUOTE]

11. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

I don't see where your goals are. What are you trying to achieve?

NovaFlex likes this.
  12. 350lift

350lift Member

Basically, you should be enjoying your workout.[/QUOTE]
    Then how can you focus on progressive overload if you don’t have a routine because that’s the main driver of growth?

I always kept certain days but never tracked my lifts or sets.

now that I am it’s a big difference.
    And on the workout being plain and generic I agree but it doesn’t take complex exercises, it takes progressive overload intensity mind muscle connection?
    Again sharing my opinion seeing what ur take is on this?

13. 350lift

350lift Member

I do feel I should up the sets to 5

14. 350lift

350lift Member

Well bodybuilding so the goal is to get bigger. I grow off of this I just don’t know if it’s efficient
    I’ve cut some stuff out and added some stuff

15. 350lift

350lift Member

Oh I misread this I mean I felt volume wasn’t high enough as in 3 sets not being a ton

but I cut out lat pulldowns and was actually more sore the next day. It’s easier for me to keep less exercises and do more intensity or things just get overwhelming

NovaFlex likes this.
  16. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

When I said generic, I mean cookie-cutter, thrown together. I don’t mean you need bands and cables and crazy stuff. I just mean that it’s very novice and doesn’t seem to have any real goal in mind, or attack any sort of weaknesses—which is why I asked how long you’ve been lifting. Perhaps you don’t know your weaknesses yet and something like this is good to build a base.

17. theOH

theOH Junior Member

I know how much weight i usually lift. I lift until I fail. There are so many variables. Did you do incline before flat. Did you already do dips and now you are doing decline, or did you start with decline? Just lift until you fail. If it requires more reps, do more reps. If the weight doesn’t feel heavy enough, increase it. Also, if you are dieting, then your strength will decrease. If your goal is to always increase the weight, you will be at a lose because you can’t even lift what you were previously. You need to be enjoying this. Or you will get frustrated and fade away.

Switcher and DonaldPump123 like this.
  18. theOH

theOH Junior Member

[/QUOTE]

I’m referring to BB. I don’t like PL. I am pretty strong, but my focus is on looking good. I can’t stand the “I’m fat but strong as shit” look. If getting your lifts up is your goal, then you need to be disciplined enough to follow the same routine in the same order each week.

Switcher likes this.
  19. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

I’m referring to BB. I don’t like PL. I am pretty strong, but my focus is on looking good. I can’t stand the “I’m fat but strong as shit” look. If getting your lifts up is your goal, then you need to be disciplined enough to follow the same routine in the same order each week.[/QUOTE]
    The era of sloppy 350 lb deca-bloated messes really gave PL a bad image, lol. But I agree. No matter what, though, to see progress either aesthetically or in numbers, discipline is still a defining factor. Half assing a routine or doing random things with no goal in mind is gonna inevitably lead to failure.

theOH likes this.
  20. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

Have you posted any pictures? Seeing where you are at now will help.

Also when you say bodybuilding are you meaning trying to compete, or are you just trying to "Look good"? What is your ideal physique. Post that too.