Cyproheptadine (periactin): Hardgainers dream: HGH-REM SLEEP-APPETITE

Discussion in 'Steroid Forum' started by jester10305, Jul 31, 2013.

1. jester10305

jester10305 Member

After years of benefiting from the knowledge and experience of many, I wanted to contribute to the bb community and create my first topic to share my personal greatest discovery as a Hardgainer.
    When I started bb, I was 5' 9" and ~155lb. After years of trial and error, I got my training down to a science only to discover that it was only a small percentage of the big picture. I still could not grow. I got stronger, more defined, and slightly bigger, but I certainly did not impress anyone. All the gear, workouts, and supps in the world are useless without the fuel to support your goal. FOOD IS CRITICAL!!
    Solid food is king! Shakes come second. If your a true Hardgainer or think you are a true Hardgainer, there is an answer to getting the necessary amount of food in to force growth.
    Im an endomorph and at 155 I needed 3800 clean calories just to maintain & 4300 to make lean gains. Now I'm 192 and need 6000+ to make gains. Most guys would join the ranks of obesity at these caloric levels, but not endomorphs. It was impossible for me to get those levels of clean calories in each day.

In my 2nd year of med school, I studied the pharmacology and pharma kinetics of various antihistamines. One of which was Cyproheptadine. A mild antihistamine now only used in the treatment of anorexia nervosa.

Here is a basic overview, followed by less commonly known benefits.

-------------------------------------------------------
    PROFILE:
    A serotonin antagonist and a histamine H1 blocker used as antipruritic, appetite stimulant, antiallergic, and for the post-gastrectomy dumping syndrome, etc. (PubChem)

Pharmacology:
    Cyproheptadine is a piperidine antihistamine. Unlike other antihistamines, this drug also antagonizes serotonin receptors. This action makes Cyproheptadine useful in conditions such as vascular headache and anorexia. Cyproheptadine does not prevent the release of histamine but rather competes with free histamine for binding at HA-receptor sites. Cyproheptadine competitively antagonizes the effects of histamine on HA-receptors in the GI tract, uterus, large blood vessels, and bronchial smooth muscle. Most antihistamines possess significant anticholinergic properties, but Cyproheptadine exerts only weak anticholinergic actions. Blockade of central muscarinic receptors appears to account for Cyproheptadine's antiemetic effects, although the exact mechanism is unknown. Cyproheptadine also competes with serotonin at receptor sites in smooth muscle in the intestines and other locations. Antagonism of serotonin on the appetite center of the hypothalamus may account for Cyproheptadine's ability to stimulate appetite. Cyproheptadine also has been used to counter vascular headaches, which many believe are caused by changes in serotonin activity, however it is unclear how Cyproheptadine exerts a beneficial effect on this condition.

Mechanism of action: Cyproheptadine competes with free histamine for binding at HA-receptor sites. This antagonizes the effects of histamine on HA-receptors, leading to a reduction of the negative symptoms brought on by histamine HA-receptor binding.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Many BBs are familiar with this drug as an appetite stimulant, but it does soooo much more.

A common side effect is drowsiness resulting in a very deep sleep. This drug, when taken before bed will dramatically increase the REM stage of sleep. For those of you that know the importance of sleep for growth and repair, can see where this is going. Combined with the rich availability macronutrients resulting from the drugs appetite stimulating properties, this now fueled period of sleep will allow for faster recovery, growth, and glycogen replenishment. More importantly, Cyproheptadine, as a result of the increased REM stages, causes the significant increases in the release of HGH! This is a fact and has been verified in several studies.

I struggled to get to 170 from 155. It was just too difficult to eat the amount I needed to. It took me 2 years. When I discovered Cyproheptadine, I went from 170 to 185 in 35 days taking only 1mg per day. That's 1/4 of a 4mg tablet. Any more and fat gains became to evident due to the insatiable appetite this drug can cause. You can take up to 16mg per day but at doses of 4-8mg or more, eating becomes a constant NEED. At 1/2 tablet TID (3xday) I have eaten until I threw up, only to realize I was still hungry. When I would slip into the induced deep sleep associated with Cyproheptadine, I would wake up in the night, struggling to make an unusually difficult decision between returning to a heavy sleep or eating to relieve the hunger. Point is, keep the doses low to avoid getting fat. You will still get all the benefits even at 1mg per day. You'll eat without having to think about it. You'll sleep so well and wake up feeling powerful pumps. Combine this with gear and you will experience the most amazing MORNING pumps as the previous days gorging is used in REM to saturated your muscles with glycogen. The potential growth of a mass cycle is maximized when combined with the buffet smashing effects of Cyproheptadine.

Lastly, my 2 favorite qualities of the drug:

1. When you stop taking it to start a cutting phase, you do not lose your gains as your body has adapted to being able to consume more. I.e. stomach capacity increases. This will subside though.

2. You can get this at any drug store that has a minor care clinic. It is a C-IV drug meaning minimal DEA control. This means PAs and MDs are very comfortable prescribing it. It is prescribed in 4mg tabs, typically TID. That's 90 tablets of which you only need 1/4 of per day. That's a year supply, and it is so cheap. About $28 for 90.

I'm curious to see anyone else's experience with this whether prior or as a result of this post. Enjoy and share this gold with your fellow endomorphs.

Stretch likes this.
  2. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Member

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was big boned up through puberty, but I never understood while people have a problem with eating.

Eat when you're hungry, eat when you're not hungry, eat when you're already full. Just shovel the shit in until you can't anymore. Add obscene amounts of peanut butter to your diet if you still have trouble.

3. Juced

Juced Member

Thank you for the post! Interesting.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked?
    6000cal just to gain a bit points at a thyroid issue in my eyes.
    but its nice you found something that works. I find simple ginger root pills help boost hunger when bulking too.

4. Juced

Juced Member

dont forget tons of fresh olive oil! :) I can tell that helped my gains. i i add it evenwhen cutting now, just not as much

5. Jimmyinkedup

Jimmyinkedup Member

The sleep benefit is of interest to me for sure. Thanks for sharing this.

6. jester10305

jester10305 Member

Yea, thyroid is normal. Just super fast metabolism. Many comment on my eating with envy, but in reality, it's a curse.

7. jester10305

jester10305 Member

You sir have got the idea. Anyone can force feed themselves. Hell, I've thrown food in a blender. I don't eat for taste. It's purely to meet a daily goal. The major benefits are a result of the increased REM sleep and subsequent GH release. Combined with a full stomach, you have a recipe for maximum utilization of gear (or without--more fat gain though) for people who are hardgainers.

8. jester10305

jester10305 Member

As a side note, it has been reported by many that prolonged use without breaks causes the gut to grow in the same way that HGH does. As you all know, the intestines have receptors for GH and will grow over time. I call them fABS. You've seen it... Looks like a gut under a shirt but sure enough it's abs on top of enlarged abdominal organs. This is just what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong.