Deadlift #'s and your methods

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by CAswole, Jun 20, 2016.

1. CAswole

CAswole Member

Always have loved this lift and have always hit it hard. Pulled 500 today for the first time. How much are you monsters pulling and what tricks of the trade do you use to get your numbers up?

Do3Gs and RodgerThat like this.
  2. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

5/3/1

JackMcnasty and CAswole like this.
  3. CAswole

CAswole Member

I love 5/3/1 and ran it religiously for 2 years straight

4. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I've pulled 600 sumo at a meet and 585 conventional in the gym this year.

As far as methods I've always kept it simple. Deadlift twice a week for sets across to get in volume. Utilize AMRAP sets occasionally as the last volume set. Only max a few times a year.

I've just started using some variations when I ran Sheiko a couple months ago and now that I'm working with a coach. Paused deadlifts and block pulls and such. I've been stuck around 585-600 all year, so hopefully I'll blow past that at my next meet in September. I'd really love to see 625+ by then.

Spooby, Seven, CAswole and 2 others like this.
  5. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

500, congrats dude.

Me, 180kgs, 400 plus pounds. Bulgarian has been adding the most poundage to my lifts so far. 5/3/1 gets me plateaued quite quick. Can I mention aaS or is that sort of not a topic in this thread as to getting the numbers up? If I can't, mcdonalds and pizza, gets those PRs out in no time. o_O

6. DedLift

DedLift Member

Lower back is fucked. I have trouble putting my shoes on right now so my total would be 0. No more deadlifts for the foreseeable future. Much envy to those without back issues. Gonna have to change my Avi name. Desimus is my go to elsewhere.

7. CAswole

CAswole Member

Idc what you mention buddy. I know me running tren ace right now certainly didn't hurt with getting that weight up lol, but as far as methods i was referring to training methodology and insights

8. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

In that case my friend, it's Bulgarian each day every day twice per day. Takes a bit of reading to wrap your head around it, but extremely effective. This method put Bulgaria on the PL radar screen globally in the 60s. DQ

CAswole likes this.
  9. Masters Power

Masters Power Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I run a modified Bulgarian method benching into meets and love it but I would be very leary of trying to do it deadlifting.

I've pulled 575ish at 195 in competition but I am far from a good deadlifter and I consider it a constant work in progress where as benching comes very naturally to me and the tweaks are minor.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  10. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

Pulled 545 at 187lb in the gym and 500 at 182 during a meet I'm currently 198 and feel very confident in pulling 565+ right now. I pull conventional biggest thing to help for me was my flexibility getting more flexibly made me able to engage my hamstrings better and also get into a more machanically advantageous position. I also work heavy 1x a week and do speed work 1x a week as well.

CAswole and Perrin Aybara like this.
  11. RandallNowan

RandallNowan Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I'm stuck on 484lb. Can't seem to get past that amount... I've gotten about 70% of the way through like 4 different programs and I keep either getting injured or getting ill. Fed up of that, I can tell you.

12. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Less weight and more volume is what you need. Stay away from the max for awhile and build your rep maxes.

13. RandallNowan

Thank you, Perrin. I agree.
    What % of my 1RM should I be working to? Increase weight when doing sets of 5? 7?

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  14. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

Work to about 80% of your 1rm and when doing your working sets let's say you do 5 sets make sure the amount of reps you do for set 1 you'd have around 3 reps left in the tank and on your final set you leave 1 rep in the tank at least. For me
    This would be a 5x5 with around 455 id be able to get 8 no problem first set but after the accumulative fatigue probably 6 or 7 final set. If your 1rm is 484 maybe start out with 365 for this to judge how you do with volume deadlifting and go from there

CAswole and RandallNowan like this.
  15. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I think using Prilepin's Chart is the way to go. I'd get a majority in around 80% with some 70-80% and some 80-90%.

[​IMG]

This kind of thing is going to be individual and you'll need to figure out what your sweet spots are, but for me I've had great success pulling twice a week for volume sets across, once in slightly higher rep ranges and once lower and utilizing an AMRAP as the last set of the lower day. Not everyone is able to handle regular deadlift AMRAPs in terms of recovery though. So be warned if you decide to try that out. Just doing the standard sets is totally fine without the AMRAP.

What @RodgerThat said is a good place to start. You don't want your volume sets to be max effort, it's way too taxing. Every set you should feel like you could've done 1-3 more reps in my opinion. This'll allow you to get in proper volume. The AMRAP would obviously be max effort, but if you decide to implement those do no more than one AMRAP a week or every other week and have it be the last set of the day.

RandallNowan and RodgerThat like this.
  16. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

That's what many people say, to stay away from Bulgarian on deadlifts, but to me, it's the strongest lift now, all thanks to daily max counting

RandallNowan likes this.
  17. CAswole

CAswole Member

I agree. I believe i just pulled 500 cuz i backed off going really heavy for a while and stayed about 70-80% 1rm

RandallNowan and Perrin Aybara like this.
  18. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Up until mid 400's I could just hit max triples every week and make progress. It's gotten so much more complicated since then.

devildog93 and RandallNowan like this.
  19. devildog93

devildog93 Member

I hear that Perrin and second it. I make great gains, then i take 2 steps back. I have been feeling like a gimp on dl for a straight month after pulling a double at 525 one Friday and leaving some in the tank. I had considered pulling 545 for 3 after it but shut it down instead . A month later and i had to switch to wendler's and back off just to get shit going again. The lower back is a picky,picky bitch.

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  20. RandallNowan

Ugh, my back is so fucking tight. I'm going to have to start foam rolling, stretching and using the lacrosse ball on my glutes... I really can't be bothered and more or less don't have the time, either.