debit cards/gas stations

Discussion in 'Men's Economics' started by Spooby, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Spooby

Spooby Member

learned something new today after figuratively ripping a customer service rep's head off inside an Ez-go office. They place a hold on gas purchases at the pump if you Swipe a debit/credit card. Some places charge $50-75 others $100-150!!

Read this article

I'm fucking pissed! GIVE ME MY MONEY!!!!

Help! The Gas Station Froze $100 For $12 Of Gas And My Rent Check Bounced!

2. tweek

tweek Member

That is fucked up, don't get how they can get away with this

3. Gramps

Gramps Member

It's how they can verify you have the means to pay before driving off with their gas. Not cool but it has to be done. The system can't tell how much money you're good for so they choose a random amount such as $50 and if that clears they let you pump up to that amount without further "testing".

4. johntt44

johntt44 Member

If I enter my pin # it doesn't do that. Only takes deposit when you don't enter pin. At least around here where I live.

5. flenser

flenser Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Depends on the bank, not the merchant. The merchant is only following the bank's instructions. Don't know why anyone would us a debit card, anyway. They short circuit many of the protections provided by credit cards. It IS cheaper - for the merchant, but not usually for the customer.

grey and tenpoundsleft like this.
  6. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

By me, debit cards usually get cash price while credit cards are a higher price per gallon. The difference has been as much as $0.25/gal

ickyrica and Spooby like this.
  7. flenser

I guess it's been a while since I looked. I had one several year ago that didn't get me the cash price. I got rid of it after a CC had been used to buy plane tickets to Egypt and the CC company removed the charges. They even apologized for not detecting it when it happened. I asked my bank manager about bank policy if that had happened to the debit card, and she tried to change the subject.

8. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

My cousin's debit card number was stolen by one of those card readers at an ATM. The thief racked up over $4000 worth of debit card purchases. The bank basically told my cousin, "you're shit out of luck".

MindlessWork, Spooby and flenser like this.
  9. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

It's because debit cards do not have the same protections like true credit cards. So if some thief skims your debit card info, you are pretty much out of luck in that case as banks are not required to provide fraud protection for debit cards. That may change soon however.

Best thing to do is go inside to have the clerk ring up the gas sale.

10. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I've noticed that sometimes on my mobile banking app tied to my debit card. It doesn't always show up though. It'll show that extra money taken out and then put back.

11. johnnydoe

johnnydoe Member

My bank debit card is visa. Does that still mean that I wouldn't have the same protection while using it as a debit card as aposed to using it as credit card? I can use it either way and it takes the money out of my account only I usually have to sign something if I use as credit.

12. flenser

I have a couple of CCs with cash back on anything I buy. It doesn't balance out at the gas station, but with all the crap I buy online these days, it more than balances out over all. I also get cash back on stuff I buy for work, which reimburses me the full price. I suppose I should pay for gas with a debit or cash, but I never do.

13. atomictime

atomictime Junior Member

I always use my credit cards for everything because they give you more protection.

14. Deisel26

Deisel26 Member

Atomic time u went back in time on this one

15. JohnLong

JohnLong Member

my info was stolen after filling up at a shady gas station. once i noticed the charges. i called in and my bank sent me an affidavit. card cancelled. money lost now back in checking. new card sent in mail. problem solved.

16. Evom1

Evom1 Member

It's always amazed me people use debit cards instead of credit cards and pay them off weekly.

Fraudulent charges on a debit card... If you're lucky you'll get your money back in 10 days. Credit card they'll fix it right away. Kind of a no brainer. Plus if you use a cash back card and pay it off constantly you make a lot of money off it.

Also gas stations I go to only ever put a $1 pre auth

17. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    grey likes this.