Desperate for help in cutting

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Greek_beast95, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

What’s up guys before I start here’s my stats - 5’8 22 years old current weight 190 lbs starting weight 225 lbs

So I’ve been working out and dieting for about 4 months and have dropped down to 190, and for the last 3-4 weeks I have not been able to shed a single pound . My workout is basically all dumb bell based and do heavy sets at 3 sets of 6 reps and I don’t eat past 1500-1600 calories a day and I work construction all day long so I do break a good sweat everyday . I’m curious if maybe it’s time I move on from dumbbell only workouts and move over to squats , deadlifts , bench press and larger compound moves to help burn more fat
    Thanks

2. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Member

Switch to a clean bulk for a while with compound movements in the 10-12 rep range. That will refire your metabolism and make it easier to cut again in a few months.

Or if you really want to keep cutting I suggest carb cycling to keep the metabolism up. At 190 though I would bulk up to 205 or so then cut to 190 again. Rinse and repeat.

NorthMich likes this.
  3. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

I appreciate that advice brotha my only issue is it’s so hard for me to mentally accept bulking , I’ve got a decent size gut on me still and it’s driving me crazy

4. brutus79

brutus79 Member

Stop concentrating on the scale
    Unless you are competing throw it away
    Go by looks
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are doing well training and dieting your weight will be static or even go up as muscle/fat balance switches
    Throw away your scale.

5. flenser

flenser Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

1500-1600 calories per day? Your TDEE is around 2800. You should literally be starving. Something doesn't add up.

Eman likes this.
  6. brutus79

brutus79 Member

I just saw the dumbbell only workouts? What the fuck is that? Yes- do actual compound movements. Stat

Logan44551 likes this.
  7. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

It’s hard for me to go by looks because I never seem to notice difference in myself even now I dont

8. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

I’ve been doing that many calories for 4 months now , it sucked at first but I got use to it

9. flenser

flenser Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I could be wrong, but I suspect you are eating more than you think, and almost certainly more than you were eating than when you first started the diet. You won't flat-line for several weeks eating the same number of calories. In fact, weight loss should be close to linear week to week.

10. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

Consider cheat meal/refeed day?
    What’s your cardio like?
    How many days per week are you training?

You hit a plateau. Now you’d typically have to manipulate macros and or add more activity

11. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

My cardio would mostly be my job , I’m an apprentice electrician and they have me running up and down a 17 floor building all day and it’s 110 degrees In here . I lift weights 4 days a week and I do tend to have one day a week where I cheat.

12. JackSmooth

JackSmooth Member

That's where pics come in

Xlgx likes this.
  13. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

I remember when I first started working out. I dieted really hard and lifted. I thought I would magically get jacked and tan. Ended up just cutting all the way down to skin and bone and was pale as a ghost. My reccomendation. Just eat in a slight surplus and train like an animal. After you've built a really good foundation of muscle. Then I would cut.

flenser and Rockclimber like this.
  14. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Member

Yep, 190 is too small. Clean bulk to 205 and then look at cutting.

15. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

I’m listening to everyone’s input but I just don’t know if even a clean bulk is ideal for me right now . I’ve got a very slow carb sensitive metabolism if I bulk even clean I will add fat , which I know happens to everyone but fats the last thing I need . I’ve got a good size gut haha

16. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

I feel ya..... I cut for so long to get as much fat gone as I could and my shbg went up and available test dropped. I too carry my fat in the belly and chest no where else. It is a bit of a mind fuck but if you take it from someone in a similar situation you need to bulk first. I've been bulking 10 weeks now up from 186 to 198 now and planning to continue for the next 15 weeks. Then will work on my cut

Rockclimber likes this.
  17. Eman

Eman Member

You're basing that on your insulin resistant 225lb self I think... Things have probably changed.

Your metabolism is either fucked from the starvation you're putting yourself through or you aren't keeping accurate calories.

You need a massive refeed day, followed by two weeks or so at your new maintenance calories. Put yourself into a 500cal deficit and continue.

Get a gym membership and lift a barbell.

18. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Member

Solid advice all around.
    May I be the devils advocate for a minute and suggest trying tren at 100mg EOD? That will help you burn that fat off Hahahah :p:D:rolleyes:

19. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

Haha I’ve been considering man!! I’m runnting test p right now 600 mg a week .

20. Greek_beast95

Greek_beast95 Member

Now on a refeed day do you eat clean or just a full out day of cheat meals