Do chinup straps really help grip?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by master.on, Apr 6, 2020.

1. master.on

master.on Member

I just bought a steel tube to do chinups at home as gyms are closed because of the coronavirus.
    Steel tube diameter and wall thickness to do chinups?

Do straps really help gripping the bar?
    Not for chinups, it's actually to do ab crunches hanging from the bar.

Some say straps actually strain your wrists more, does it?

2. Eman

Eman Member

You're asking if essentially tying your hands to a pull up bar is going to help you hold on vs gripping with your bare hands?

Uh, yeah... It helps.

With that said, do yourself a favor and skip it. I'm an advocate for doing hanging leg raises, and any other grip oriented lift, with no gear unless you absolutely need it. Go without them until you're failing your goal reps, then add them in for subsequent sets... Eventually you shouldn't need them at all.

Mayne, master.on, Brandaddy and 4 others like this.
  3. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

Of course they help. But they're self-defeating if you use them excessively.

Do your work without them and only strap up if you absolutely can't grip hard enough to finish your movements. If it's between using straps or missing sets/reps, obviously strapping up wins.

If you use them all the time, your grip will get weaker.

master.on and Silentlemon1011 like this.
  4. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

Only exception I began to make with straps is using them for heavier deadlifts with a double overhand grip. After seeing guys tearing biceps (highly experienced guy too) I just had to say fuck the over and under grip once I get to 3 plates per side and up. Other than that , yep I try to lose them at times and focus on natural grip strength

5. Silentlemon1011

Silentlemon1011 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

My chinup bar is just 3/4 ridgid conduit.
    Works well.

You should work towards doing chins without straps.
    If you overuse straps for things like bodyweight exercises, you will never develop your grip strength and forearms.
    With this principle in mind,
    even on a double overhand DL, my back will give out before my grip.

Logan44551 and EazyE like this.
  6. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Yeah the bicep tears worry me some too. I use hook grip for deadlifts and last time I tried to rep with it I believe I got 425x6. Hook grip takes time to develop though, deadening the nerves in the thumbs and toughening up the skin on the thumbs. That all said, if my thumb skin is torn, or I am failing reps I will strap.

EazyE likes this.
  7. EazyE

EazyE Member

I agree with you. The mixed grip seems very unnatural and doesn’t feel right to me. Overhand all the way.

Cownan and Silentlemon1011 like this.
  8. Logan44551

Logan44551 Member

These help with grip strength IMG_20200408_213416.jpg

Cownan, Silentlemon1011 and EazyE like this.
  9. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

IMG_20200409_161129.jpg
    I feel the same way lol.

Um, if I'm crushing volume in the cage (wide grip pulldown, etc) and forearms are shot I'll use em. I've had more than my fair share of workouts with back muscles that'll pull for days and arms that are dead.

10. Cownan

Cownan Member

100%. I find you get more with this grip anyways. Ive torn a bicep before. Not from deads but playing college ball. It's not fun

For grip strength check out "rolling thunder" or "captains of crush". The thunder is sick. Tried it at my old oly lifting gym.

If you have room you can also fill a garbage pail full of rice and do "dirty rice" grip workouts. Cheap and effective!

EazyE and Btcowboy like this.
  11. ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

Straps will most likely hurt your vagina.
    Grip the bar, because otherwise...

12. SUGARBEAR

SUGARBEAR Member

Use straps for lats. Keep a vertical forearm; really helps use engage them. Let your elbows arc forward to work biceps .