Do Olympic Athletes get paid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madman, Aug 16, 2004.

madman Junior Member

How could these guys and gals train everyday and eat/sleep right with a job?

Just curious how do they make money or how much money do they make doing this.

milesfan Junior Member

My ex girlfriends brother ran the Mens 5000 in sydney. He is a teacher part time, and ran at local marathons for money when he could. He was sponsored by reebok, so they paid him a yearly amount. It was definatley nothing to retire on. Im pretty sure the big names with commercial endorsement rake in the royalties.

Quasimoto Junior Member

Yeh they get paid by sponsors, they just dont win prize money in there events. How do you think Marion Jones could pay for all that THG ?

MYRICK1 Junior Member

They Dont Get Paid To Compete But They Have A Choice Of Remaining Amateures Or Being Pro. If They Stay Amateur They Cant Have Sponsors But For The Ones That Are Young And Plan On College They Can Still Compete When They Go To School If They Go Pro They Cant Compete In College. Saw This On E! The Other Day By The Way They Had Something On About Gymnasts

Quasimoto Junior Member

Dont NBA players get paid ? explain that with your premise ?

thick Junior Member

i think he means if u accept sponsorship than u forfeit your amatuer status and therefore cannot continue participating in collegiate sports.

Quasimoto Junior Member

I guess i can see a diffence between sponsorship money and endorsements. This guy phelps, if starts winning again is gonna be jacked...Anyone remember americas sweetheart Mary Lou-Retton ? She was all over the TV after the 84 Olympics hawking everyones products.

thick Junior Member

yeah olympic success can get some sweet paydays with endorsements. The rules kinda suck. There was a Colorado( not positive on school or sport) football player that had to choose b/n college football and professional skiing or some shit. I dont see the problem with him making money at keeping his amateur status for football. I believe it made him choose b/n the olympics and college football. Someone please straighten out the iffy parts. It was awhile ago when i read this

Quasimoto Junior Member

You are talking about Jeremy Bloom. hes not a pro skier, just world class and wants to be in the Olympics, but he is endorsed by a bunch of ski equipment manufactures. He just left the team again, and went to Chile for a ski camp and wil miss the first bunch of practices with his team..but it isnt gonna matter CU is going to get beat by everyone. I get the drift of the argument though.

MaxRep Member

I'm friends of the family of "kaitlin" who has so far, won a silver and bronze in swimming. If the athlete is really good, like Kaitlin, they have a full scholarship during college. After that, it can be tough.

However, several months ago, she landed a contract with Nike. Nike now pays 100% of her living expenses and acts as her manager so she doesn't have to think about anything but training. A Nike employee has been assigned to her as her personal assistant. This person contacts her every single day to take care of anything she needs. All shopping and personal expenses and all travel arrangements/expenses, everything, are coordinated and taken care of every day. They recently sent her and her family on a $10,000 shopping spree to a local mall. They also do things like send box after box of Nike shoes & clothes in sizes for her and her family. They also paid for and arranged all travel for her parents to go to Athens.

The bottom line is, if you're among the world's elite, you'll be taken care of by one or more companies and finances won't be a concern. Depending on how an athlete performs at the Olympics, future endorsements can range from minor to setting a person up for life. And also, the speaking fees for a medal winner, especially a gold medal winner can be substantial for several years.

thick Junior Member

thinks for the insight MAX. Even the "average" athletes that dont medal are still getting to live life in a wonderful way. They are playing sports that they love and are at least breaking even to do so. I am sure even the ones who come out of the olympics with nothing but the experience to show for it wouldnt change a thing

AnimalMass Junior Member

Yeah, Max Rep is correct. I have some pretty close ties with Shane and Oscar and the guys who train at the Oympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. If you are on "first squad" - meaning the best the US has in a particular sport, then you get a very healthy stipend, all living expenses paid, a place to live, etc., and 24/7 access to food massage therapists, chiropractors, etc.

If you are on the next tier down, it's a little less for the stipend, but if you have been invited to live at the Training Center, then you're getting taken care of regardless.

Now that in and of itself doesn't really mean money to retire on or anything. Basically it just makes you a full time professional athlete who can concentrate soley on competing.

Beyond that, like Max said, the money roles in when the sponsorship comes, speaking engagements, etc. Plus there are alot of perks. - Free stuff everywhere.

Slick Arrado

Slick Arrado Junior Member

SoCal Shane and Oscar? Anyway, MadMan, yes the athletes get paid. I know the amateur boxers get paid by USA Boxing. They get paid more the better they do, obviously. I'm not even talking about endorsements, either.

Grizzly Member

How do amateur boxers get paid? That's the difference between amatuer and professional: money.
    Slick Arrado

Slick Arrado Junior Member

They are paid by USA Boxing, the committee that oversees all U.S. amateur boxing. It's the NCAA for amateur boxers. They don't pay much, but if you win some national tournaments or finish ranked high enough(yes, there are rankings)then you get a monetary prize. If an amateur fighter wins a gold medal, he'll get around $5000. That's not much, but an Olympic gold medal guarantees professional riches. Sorry if I got too far off-topic.

r00tzy Junior Member

Here in Canada, Olympic athletes do get paid. They are called 'carded' athletes. Theres various levels, and you don't have to be at the level of the olympics to get carded. A level1 carded athlete which I believe is the highest and would be someone training for the olympics gets something like 1200$ a month if I remember correctly.
    Meat Train

Meat Train Junior Member

And yet we see Pro Bodybuidlers trying to scrap up what deals they can to make decent money (at least Titus does this). Although Weider has taken care of "some" people in the past.

The whoe system is like actor's equity--- Once you go pro (equity), you can no longer do hometown plays and such-- part of the union, then you go by union rules! Funny thing is, you can be poor and make no money at it, and still, because you have that card/contract, you can't do shit!

AnimalMass Junior Member

Don't even begin that bullshit with bodybuilders. There are quite a few of those guys who have more money than they know what to do with. And if all else fails, they can dee throat Big Daddy Joe or some other skank homo and do just fine.

I'm in a sport that doesn't require men to dress in banana hammocks. I'm a professional powerlifter, which means if I'm lucky once or twice per year I'll get one of my meets paid for (hotel, registration fee, etc.) and occasionally get a free bench shirt or protein powder here or there. There isn't more than 5 powerlifters in the world whose endorsements are enough to live on. As a matter of fact 99% of our endorsements are in the way of free gear (the lifting kind, not the syrince kind) rather than money. Most of the strongest, most hard-working men who have ever lived have to work blue collar jobs just to make a living.

Pretty Sad. And we don't tan, shave, or suck each other off.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.