Doc put me on Lisinopril and metoprolol

I was diagnosed with an enlarged left ventricle about 4 years ago. My ejection fraction was down to about 45% (should be 55-70ish) so in came a cardiologist. I had no idea. I felt fine and was actually training for the NPC Masters Nationals and running everything one would expect for that.

My cardiologist put me on 10mg of Lisinopril and 50 mgs of Metoprolol for a while but the Lisinopril was screwing with my EGFR results skewing to make it seem I was in stage 3 kidney failure. Cardiologist took me off Lisinopril (EGFR went to normal immediately) and upped my Metoprolol to 100mgs.

Except for the first 6 weeks after diagnosis while I was being tested quite thoroughly (no training) I still trained (no ultra heavy leg and back days per Dr's orders), still used legit trt (200mgs per week) and so on. Wasn't at my all time best but literally no one even noticed. So it can be done.

I'm 100% recovered and in the normal range now thanks to me doing what was needed to put my health first.

I've been on 100mgs of Metoprolol for a year now. The only negative I've seen from it is it definitely makes losing body fat more difficult for a few different reasons. I'll let you do the research on it and make your own determination. I'll be speaking to my cardiologist about alternatives since I don't think it does the best job of controlling BP all day long and it seem I'll have to keep taking higher doses over time.

Don't misunderstand, if you're running GH, tren or T3 ect... it will be a non- issue BUT if you're really doing trt and that's it, it can complicate fat loss somewhat. But if you're running all that gear you're probably going to want to have limited expectations on anything keeping you on the good side of heart health anyway.

She only prescribed me 25 mg. Currently on 10 mg Lisinopril as well and she upped that to 20 mg so started that. When I'm up and moving through the day I can feel my heart beating fast but right now just sitting down I checked my heart rate and it was around 60s so not sure what to do
You're on a really low dose. When I started on both I was at 10 (lisn) and 50 (Meto) and my resting hr would drop to 45-48 BPM. You will adjust to both over about 4-6 weeks.

Yea you think even on a low dose of the metoprolol of 25 mgs it will make fat loss difficult ?
I don't think it's related directly to dosing specifically. Seems it has an effect on energy levels and also on how your body processes fats and some influence on insulin's process at the cellular level. So some initial weight gain could be seen but the changes in fat processing and the insulin effects appear to be there as long as you are using it. Hence the potential difficulty in losing body fat long term.

Here's some basic info on it: Do Beta-Blockers like Metoprolol Cause Weight Gain? - K Health

A small portion from the link I posted:

Metoprolol can cause weight gain as a side effect. Studies have shown that people taking metoprolol gain a median of 2.64 pounds compared to people who aren’t.

Weight gain caused by metoprolol typically occurs within the first few months of taking it. After that, any gains tend to level off as your body adjusts.

Curious how metoprolol causes people to gain weight? While experts are unsure why, there are a few possible factors.

It may be caused by changes to your metabolism that affect how your body processes fats and how insulin affects the cells that store and release sugar.

Another reason experts think metoprolol may cause weight gain is fatigue.

When you take beta-blockers, it can make you less energetic and less likely to move around, which can lead to putting on weight.

Metoprolol is thought to cause you to gain more abdominal fat, which is related to problems with high cholesterol.

Medical doctor here. Couple things that I want to clarify for you.

If your resting heart rate is in the 60s I would suggest that taking half of the 25 mg tablet of metoprolol would be beneficial. Unlikely to contribute to symptomatic bradycardia but will decrease sympathetic effects on heart rate and stroke volume. Has a small effect on blood pressure. May have mild sides of fatigue simply from blunting the sympathetic nervous systems respond. It is however, as opposed to nebivolol, more cardiac specific (beta 1/2)

The benefit for you is that it is going to deter your heart from entering svt

Lisinopril is anticipated to decrease GFR by 15% based on its mechanism of action. Still has benefits of renal and cardiac protection/remodeling.

Chronic kidney disease stage 3 a is mild. Nephrologists are weird. We effectively all have ckd stage 2 to begin with so a 15% reduction rate in gfr may translate to ckd3 but context is important and I would not suggest stopping lisinopril for this reason alone.

Telmesartan is an arb not commonly prescribed. Same with nebivolol.

Ultimately your long term performance relies heavily on your cardiac function. These two meds, if indicated, work to keep bp normal, minimize stress and prevent remodeling in response to stress.

Stress being acute kidney injury, hypertensive urgency, nstemi etc…

Patients with chf who take these and observe improved bp etc will likely see improved ejection fraction and perhaps even return to normal over a year or two. Scared tissue cannot be remodeled however.

It certainly will not present difficulty with weight loss.

Welcome nok :)

I don't think it's related directly to dosing specifically. Seems it has an effect on energy levels and also on how your body processes fats and some influence on insulin's process at the cellular level. So some initial weight gain could be seen but the changes in fat processing and the insulin effects appear to be there as long as you are using it. Hence the potential difficulty in losing body fat long term.

Here's some basic info on it: Do Beta-Blockers like Metoprolol Cause Weight Gain? - K Health

A small portion from the link I posted:

Metoprolol can cause weight gain as a side effect. Studies have shown that people taking metoprolol gain a median of 2.64 pounds compared to people who aren’t.

Weight gain caused by metoprolol typically occurs within the first few months of taking it. After that, any gains tend to level off as your body adjusts.

Curious how metoprolol causes people to gain weight? While experts are unsure why, there are a few possible factors.

It may be caused by changes to your metabolism that affect how your body processes fats and how insulin affects the cells that store and release sugar.

Another reason experts think metoprolol may cause weight gain is fatigue.

When you take beta-blockers, it can make you less energetic and less likely to move around, which can lead to putting on weight.

Metoprolol is thought to cause you to gain more abdominal fat, which is related to problems with high cholesterol.
These are conjectures. Simply look at its mechanism of action regarding any effects it may have on body weight.

Back