Egg whites cooked vs raw

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by jabo, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jabo

jabo Member

I read that if you eat egg whites raw then your body will only obsorb 50% of the protein vs eating it cooked. Are they talking about the egg whites out of the literal shelled eggs or the pasteurized whites you get out of the carton?

Some argue the pasteurized whites are just as good uncooked. I want a good substitute for when I just can't eat anymore and need to get my protein in. Figured mixing egg whites in a protein shake would be a good substitute.

2. D-max

D-max Member

It's the raw ones if you separate them yourself. If you buy the whites in a container you get everything from them. Some guys pasteurize and separate them themselves to save some money too.

3. PrinceLambo

PrinceLambo Member

Either way, I can’t stomach them raw. I buy Great Value egg whites and cook them in literally a minute.

4. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member

I hate eggs now. Can’t stomach them.

Meal 1 is now has a carton of egg whites. I’m a firm disbeliever in any rule of “your body can only absorb Xg/X%” of anything. Absorption is about gut health. I’m sure there are limits, but I haven’t seen it yet.

If you’ve got any study on this please post it. IIRC uncooked proteins are far better if you could stomach it.

5. D-max

D-max Member

Google it. Tons of info and actual studies. It's not bro-science with eggs and protein absorption.

6. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member

Just raw vs pasteurized?

7. D-max

D-max Member

Yes. Just look up raw egg protein absorption etc. Theres a bunch of stuff. I read alot about it a couple years ago when a few guys mentioned it.