Favorite rear felt exercises

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Forum' started by Dregib, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Dregib

Dregib Member

So I’m trying to avoid rounded shoulder inconsistencies, and was wondering what y’all like to do to work rear delts so I might incorporate a new lift or two into my shoulder days.

I’ve been doing face pulls, bent over rear delt raises, rear delt fly machine thingy.

2. Gbro

Gbro Member

Those are the three I do.

3. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I do those also...and how many sets you do?

Another one to add is T-Bar rows..those are great!

4. Dregib

Dregib Member

3-4 sets per exercise depending on which, 8-12 reps. I hate shoulders its my least favorite day of the split. I think it’s because maybe my shoulders don’t get pump as hard as other muscles. Idk.

5. Dregib

Dregib Member

I haven’t gotten the rounded shoulders yet, I just noticed a couple months ago my front delts were getting a lot more attention through chest day and whatnot and it’s been on my mind.

6. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

More complicated exercise, but might be my favorite for rear delt.

Drop the cables to the low-pulley and lay down on a bench on your stomach and cross the cables into a rear delt fly position. Hope that makes sense. You can really hit time-under-tension and get a good range of motion.

DrankSlangin and Wunderpus like this.
  7. Ironlord

Ironlord Member

Been doing the face pulls/meadows flyes superset for around 8 months now... Rear delts have gone from barely there to the biggest part of my shoulders lol.

Dregib and Oldschool like this.
  8. Dregib

Dregib Member

Now when you say meadows flyes are you talking about from the John meadows articles where you’re laying stomach down on an inclined bench swinging back with your rear delts?

9. GianT_SlayeR

GianT_SlayeR Member

Bend over flys superset with grabbing a strong band a pulling it apart in a rear set fly motion, good finisher. I’ve always done a lot of drop sets with shoulders to give them a good pump.

On back day you can work rear delts a lot doing rows towards your upper body rather than midsection

10. MCFC

MCFC Member

I've recently incorporated doing a similar band excercise at te very end of my rear delt movements and it's a GREAT finished. Damn good pump it's almost painful.

11. Dregib

Dregib Member

Right on. I saw the band thing on a video recently and it does look killer!

12. Hawkins

Hawkins Member

Dude, shoulders are my most painful muscle. They're a tough muscle group and will just keep contracting if you can stand the pain.

Increase those reps per set or try giant sets, drop sets, etc...

For a rear felt "finisher" grab a micro band, hold at arms length, parallel to the floor, and just pulse the band a few inches with each arm. Shoot for like 30-50 reps. The pump is unreal...

tenpoundsleft likes this.
  13. VasodiL8

VasodiL8 Member

A great exercise iv found for my rear delts is a sort of rear delt row. Similar to a barbell row but just the top half portion of the movement is performed. You would typically use a lighter weight than with a barbell row and you would raise the bar to your chest when you are bent over as opposed to your mid section with a bb row. Lower the weight enough to stretch rear delts but not lose tension, row to chest and squeeze rear delts. I usually include this as a superset, drop or finisher.

tenpoundsleft likes this.
  14. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

My go too’s are wide grip pendalay rows and wide grip snatch grab rack pulls.

15. Wunderpus

Wunderpus Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I do this every other week, as it's a burner.... I have a lot of people ask about what I do for rear delts, as I'd say mine are fairly developed... This is it:

16. C-Dale

C-Dale Member

snatch grip behind the neck overhead press seems to activate my rear upper delts. I also like seated cable rows similar to face pulls but i like to squeeze the shoulder blades together at the end of the pull.

17. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

Bbr - best by far

18. rutman

rutman Member

Do 4 sets of 30 reps. On the last set, do a 30sec iso hold mid rep range to finish it off. You’re not pushing enough blood with 8-12 reps.

Dregib and tenpoundsleft like this.
  19. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

Facepulls. Very strict reps with medium weight.

20. Rear delt flyes on the pec dec machine. Got from one of John meadows programs where in it he implicated hitting them for very high rep sets with minimal rest and very controlled form. Set of 30 catch your breath, set of 25 catch your breath, and so on down to 15 I think. It’s a nice change of pace and really sets mine on fire.

rutman likes this.