Feeling great during a cut??

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by luex, Apr 7, 2018.

1. luex

luex Member

Ok so I've never done a real cut until more recently..I was a skinny fat kid when I started- age 13- had no idea what I was doing up until 19 and even today theres plenty of things I still don't know...I gained weight up to 205lbs ( off cycle- during I was around 220) but I felt so lethargic and shitty...and my body fat % was probably 15%? So more recently I cut all the way down to 183lbs not sure what my bf% was/is but I'd definitely say around 9%..and man I tell you I felt amazing...super productive and just all around more happy..I didn't mind doing the cardio at all..Now I've been bulking back up again- 187lbs currently and I'm starting to feel lethargic again...Why is this? Is it normal to feel like that? Sorry-my inexperience with cutting has left me kind of confused...I've had bloods done due to the accutane I was recently on and everything looks fine to me/in range.

My calories are 2,700 bulking currently..I wanted to slowly ramp them up over the weeks adding 300cals each week...my cutting calories were around 2000calories.
    I have my calories laid out on my calendar for each week I'm going to add more....I planned this all around my next cycle because I really wanna get the most out of it...it being a
    tren, Anadrol, test cycle.

2. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

I know you plan on ramping up but Im not sure how your “bulking” on 2700 calories?
    I’m about the same weight right now and that’s below my maintenance cals.

MR10X and Rockclimber like this.
  3. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Two points
    One is you're bulking on a little more than half of what I cut on lol

Two alot of the lethargy has to do with digestion related aspects

Rockclimber likes this.
  4. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Member

I'm the opposite, lethargic when cutting weight, feel more energy when bulking. Right now I'm cutting on 1870 calories and barely have energy to lift. Bulking on 3500-4000 calories I feel great!

luex likes this.
  5. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

First off, I just want to say if you're effectively gaining weight on 2700 calories. That's all you need. After a long cut of dropping 20+ pounds your metabolism will be a lot slower than someone who has been permabulking the last year. So like I said, IF you are gaining weight on 2700 calories, don't bump it up to 4,000 because some idiot says you need that many. All you need is whatever gives you the necessary surplus to gain weight.

Second, there are a lot of factors that can effect how well you feel. First, if you're training more frequently and/or heavier with more volume than before when you were cutting, you could simply just be getting burnt out from lack of recovery. Also, obviously sleep could be a big factor, but if imagine you already have taken care of that aspect. The next thing I would watch is your diet. A lot of people when they bulk eat a really wide variety of food that can lead to digestive issues which in return will make you feel more bloated and lethargic. So if you every get gassy, like literally at all, you probably should pay attention to what foods trigger that.

luex likes this.
  6. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

Lol, I was 13 once :confused:

7. luex

luex Member

Yeah idk I’ve been effectively gaining weight with the 2700 cals..I mean it’s nowhere near crazy fast gains which is good but my point in ramping up my calories is because I’ll be closer and closer to the beginning of my cycle and my job is pretty physical..only 3 days a week plus school so I have to eat more calories on those days but on my days off from work the most activity is usually the gym due to shitty weather here right now. As for the digestive issues I’ve thought about that too...usually when I’m bulking I’m pretty bloated so I should probably grab some enzymes...I’m not eating shitty food either..maybe a higher sodium intake is also causing bloat? I’m not really concerned about how many calories I take I guess more so as long as I’m gaining weight effectively but I don’t think it’d be wise of me to stay at 2700 cals on a cycle bulking. Before my cut I was eating 3.5k cals all the time of that gives you more perspective on things. This time around eating is so much easier too..I honestly feel like I could down 5k cals no problem lol..I’m just constantly hungry now opposed to last time bulking which is awesome

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  8. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

If you're about to increase your activity level significantly, then yes, I definitely agree you would want to bump them up a good amount. My point in my prior post is some wannabe macho people on the internet will make it sound like you NEED 4,000 calories to bulk. That's just not true. Lol. You need whatever you need. My last bulk I was eating upwards to 6,000 calories a day just to gain 1lb a week. One of my buddies at that time was complaining about getting fat off half the amount of carbs I was eating and he's bigger than I am. It's just all relative. The fact is, is once someone bumps their calories up significantly right away, you might gain a few pounds, but then your body adapts and you stall out. Now you need to eat more. Well if you're already eating 4,500-5,000 calories a day, that isn't too easy to do, whereas if you were only eating 3,000 it would be really easy to eat 3,300. Lol.

As far as digestion. The worst mine has ever been is when I was eating as clean as I thought I could. I ended up finding out a lot of the vegetables and fruits were what was actually causing my gas and bloating. Now when I bulk I would say 90% of my calories come from steak and rice. It's actually made bulking a lot more enjoyable because without the gas and bloating you can actually comfortably eat a lot more. Especially for me I train right before my last meal. So by then I was usually bloated and feeling a bit gassy. Isn't anything funny about deadlift 500 for reps while you're not sure if the next one is a fart or a turd. Haha

luex likes this.
  9. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Really? Dude I never would have guessed! I thought most people went straight from 12 to 14?

Morefyah likes this.
  10. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

Nah man I obviously was just playing! I thought it was funny how his weight/size story started at 13yo. His post is confusing and kinda all over the place. I agree you shouldn’t add cals to fast unless your looking for size real fast and don’t mind sacrificing a little fat gain. It’s kinda hard to give advice on weight gain and loss without knowing actual weirght. What I mean by that is not before or after a cut, and not before or after a bulk, Not on gear or during pct. Where they sit naturally after months of just being in a regular homeostasis enviremont.

I’m sure we’re jus TDI sits but going by size there no way 2700 cals is a bulk. But if your coming off a cut of only 2000 cals, then yeah 2700 would be bulking.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  11. luex

luex Member

@Morefyah yeah I took some preworkout before that post and was a little jittery :confused: @Brandaddy you up your calories during a cycle too right?

12. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

I do. But only to the point where I gain roughly 2lbs a week. Any more than that and it's almost guaranteed fat anyways. I've just seen better results doing it that way compared to trying to force feed right off the bat. You put on less fat, gain more weight, and give your stomach time to adjust to large quantities of food which will help you actually be able to eat more.