Fight or Flight stuck

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by rob_07, Sep 10, 2010.

rob_07

rob_07 Junior Member

Hey, my name is Rob, I just turned 24 2 weeks ago, and my body has been stuck in fight or flight mode for about a year. I will give the shortest summary of my history that I can. I know that what caused this whole thing was online poker while doing college. I made about $250,000 in 3 years of college doing it, but it was very stressful and I would stay up late at night and go sleepless nights routinely, and then use energy drinks to get me going. I also had a gf for 2 years that would cheat on me and I would get very stressed out about her. All this is horrible due to the fact that my whole life growing up if I got less than 8 hours of sleep I would feel extremely tired the next day, but now I was literally beating my body up day in and day out for about 2 years with some decent breaks over the summer to prolong the time before my body inevitably crashed. Oh yeah, I also used to eat the worse high sugar diet ever, eating like 2 whole things of ice cream to myself per week, tons of candy, fast food, etc. I am sure that contributed to this mess.

Winter 2008 - started getting palpitations during high stress periods, and even working out (which used to relax me). Took an ssri after not being able to fall asleep for 2 days straight due to heart beating too fast. Took the ssri for 4 months, and felt 90% of myself for the next 3 months off the ssri.

September 2009 - started getting palpitations again, insomnia, zero libido again. This all got progressively worse until I started an ssri again January 1, 2010.

February 1, 2010 - got off ssri, didn't like the side effects and was feeling a bit better, so I decided to start intense working out, great diet, fish oil supplementation, and meditation. This is when I knew that there was more to my condition than just a "mental anxiety problem". At first I made huge strides and lost lots of fat and started to get in better shape. However, eventually I started to get extreme fatigue, and feel run down, and actually digress in areas such as cardio. I was only working out about 6 hours a week so I wasn't overdoing it. Eventually, my heart would start to palpitate when I was working out, so I would push harder, frustrated that I had an "anxiety problem" .... working out harder was the best solution for anxiety right?

April 1, 2010 - started using magnesium and taurine in high doses every day. It made it easier to work out and I felt tired, but the palpitations went away. I kept working out very hard, but progressively felt worse and worse.

June 21, 2010 - I feel like a zombie, I can't workout, I feel an impending sense of doom. My body shakes at the slightest stressor. I have the worst brain fog ever. I search the internet and find adrenal fatigue ... it all makes sense. I hook myself up with Dr. Lam because in any forum on the internet he is the only person I see having success healing people. I am extremely sensitive to the vitamin C doses he gives and I can only take .5 grams a day or else I get jittery. An epiphany mentally to me at this point is that working out crashes my body into horrible anxiety symptoms. Another thing that is a huge factor is that sugar sends my heart into intense palpitations and insomnia. Wow, simply a chocolate bar makes my heat skip beats.

September 10, 2010 - Present day. I have built up to like 15 grams a day of vitamin c, I have made huge progress in healing. Now, a chocolate bar won't make my heart skip beats, but I do feel slight agitation and restlessness from eating sugar. My body is still stuck in fight or flight mode, and I do feel pretty tired all the time. I have not yet started working out. I walk about an hour a day and feel very tired after it. I can do intense exercise and do OK, but for about a week afterwards I would have palpitations and insomnia and "anxiety". It is my understanding that vitamin C is actually just shunting adrenal function, turning off the fight or flight signaling so that my body can finally relax and rest.

Libido - If I don't ejaculate for a month I feel my libido very strong. However, after ejaculation it goes back down to 0% for about 14 days, then days 14-30 it slowly builds back to normal. I never get morning erections or anything unless I go 30 days without ejaculation.

What I want to know: It seems ssri's are good for someone like me, I am young and my body is in fight or flight mode begging to be shut off so I can finally relax and rest and heal. When I took 20mg celexa in january it caused instant increased agitation and suicidal thoughts, which was very different from when I took it a year before. I am thinking this is due to my body being in worse condition and having lower serotonin and dopamine than when I took the ssri before. I am thinking I should take 5 mg or so of celexa for around 6 months. If I don't feel enough of an impact I guess I will slowly build up to a 10mg dosage, but ssri's are a lot more powerful than people think. Plus, I know every single little stressor in my life so I think a smaller dose will work good because I won't be putting my body through stress anymore.

Would it be foolish to stick with Lam now? They want me to take 25mg of dhea every other day and a herbal blend of licorice root, ashwaganda, and maca every other day (after my body gets out of fight or flight more using high vitamin c). Would combining vitamin c, dhea, and herbs be bad while taking celexa?

Once I were to get off the ssri, I would definitely not feel 100%. Last time I felt 90% of myself. My libido wasn't as high, and I felt fatigued quickly from working out. How do I get back to 100%. My hypothesis is that since I am only 24, what I need to do is simply get my body out of fight or flight mode and keep it there for a long time through great dieting, light workouts, good sleep schedule, and zero stress lifestyle. Id think I am young enough where my body will heal itself when it is finally able to rest. I assume my neurotransmitter output looks like low dopamine and serotonin, super high norepinephrine.

Oh yeah, and in like march 2010 I used maca for a month and felt a great boost in energy and sex drive. However, because I kept working out etc my condition deteriorated and I stopped the maca. I took 3 grams of NOW maca a day. I plan to use Maca again once my body feels healthy and back to normal. It is said to be an endocrine balancer.

Any comments are appreciated. Any questions I will answer immediately.

musulman

musulman Banned

I have done it all in my time, so i have expereinced a lot, btw you sound like another jayho.

My advice-

Just freakin rest, eat natural, sleep deep and take a holiday. Give it 6 montths and then see. You have cracked, broken down and need to restabilise. The key is to stop everything before you crack.

musulman

musulman Banned

Also quit working out. You are piling more stress on an already overstressed system.

Libido - If I don't ejaculate for a month I feel my libido very strong. However, after ejaculation it goes back down to 0% for about 14 days, then days 14-30 it slowly builds back to normal. I never get morning erections or anything unless I go 30 days without ejaculation.

This is a good sign. Your body is floundering but still functioning. You can come back from this. Do not over musturbate, only masturbate when you have a very very strong urge and then leave it. Monitor your sex drive as when it improves your overall health will improve.

I know a good herbalist who can sort you right out.

Do not go on an antidepressant, nor TRT or anything. You can recover quite easily. Dont worry, be glad you have not gone on TRT.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Active Member

How much are you paying for this Dr. Lam stuff?

rob_07

rob_07 Junior Member

For Dr. Lam I am paying $70 every 2 weeks for an appointment. The vitamin C is liponano so it is pretty expensive. I have had such good results and have taken my body from being a zombie to being where I am now. I am still quick to get exhausted, still get stressed out easily, but I am nowhere near as unstable as I was.

To Musulman: I pretty much agree with you. I think I just need to rest rest rest. However, I have read a lot of Dr. marianco posts and it seems as though a low dose antidepressant for a couple month period could help me greatly. Right now my biggest problem is my body is still in an unstable slightly anxious state. I feel slightly wired, and slightly tired all the time. If I were to workout, both would go through the roof for a week period. I don't plan on working out for months.

As for herbs, I think they can be very helpful, however my body is way too unstable for using herbs. Once I feel close to normal I plan on conservative use of herbs.

As for ejaculation: Would it be harmful to go something like 2 months without ejaculation? I do feel my body is able to rest much better the longer I go without ejaculating (benefits of higher testosterone?)

musulman

musulman Banned

No problmes at all, jusat let that manly desire build up to the point you feel like you are going mad, then release. Excessive stress can be in the form of excess sex, especially if you dont want it too much.

Chris.N

Chris.N Active Member

I cant believe I am going to say this but I completely agree with Musulman. Stop everything you are doing and chill out. Take a long vacation and let your body naturally rebalance itself. Avoid caffeine and stimulants. If you need energy eat good carbs. Take a multi-vitamin and drink a bunch of water. Exercise but focus on cardio and yoga more then lifting. It seems like you had a caffeine addiction and you never allowed yourself to come down so you sought medical attention and they started prescribing all sorts of stuff. There was no break in between.

If you still feel crappy in 3-4 months then at least you can approach this problem with a clean slate. You have so much crap running through your body right now that it is probably causing more stress.

Just my ten cents.

rob_07

rob_07 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice Chris. I will be the first person to admit I had huge problems in my life from diet, to caffeine use, to stressful relationships and stressful school procrastination on homework and tests etc. I have accepted these problems and addressed them, now its time to recover, and it is going slooooow. The problem is that my lifestyle right now is zero exercise with some walking. I have eaten a clean diet high in fat and high in protein for around 3 months now. I meditate every day at least 30 minutes, and have been for 7 months Once every two weeks I eat something sugary or have something like 1 beer to see where I am at. In the last 3 months I have made huge improvements, one beer doesn't cause my body to start tweaking out. However, I don't drink alcohol or unnatural sugar (I eat an apple or banana a day) at all except for when I am curious to how my body will react.

The reason I came hear to this forum is I have been living the most "relaxed" lifestyle for 3 months and have made a decent improvement. However, I have read Dr. Marianco's posts on antidepressants and those posts, combined with my own experience of them, make me think that a small dose would help me to relax even more. I can't help but be frustrated a bit at the fact that I am probably recovering at 1/3 the pace I would be if I did have some help. I have read all about adrenal fatigue being an hpa axis dysfunction, combined with the fact that ssri's help downregulate the hpa axis problem of excessive norepinephrine signaling that I have going on.

Also, just wanted to dig into this forum because I have read posts on this forum and it seems the only place on the whole damn internet where people have any clue what they are talking about.... moreso than any doctor I have seen.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Chris.N

Chris.N Active Member

I honestly think a lot of people in world treat one symptom they are having with medication or treatment and then any sides they have from the medication they treat with another medication and so on. When all they had to do in the first place is diagnose the main issue but this is hard to do if you have several symptoms that you may have brought on yourself. That's why it is best to take a vacation from treatment, self evaluate, and focus on the main issues. Once you have a clear understanding of what those are, then you can start treatment.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.