First time making a bulking meal plan. Critique

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by Arcânn, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

Even though I've been lifting for a while, I'm fairly new to PROPER dieting (I'm lucky my metabolism/carb sensitivity is what it is). I've learned a ton about it with your help in a very short time. I was making a TON of mistakes. There's no way I should even look the way I do. I should be much less lean. I just made my first meal plan for a day. Obviously there will be more.

I would like your critique on this. I've got the macros about right, but who knows what I might be missing or just not thinking of.

My TDEE is 3091 so I was shooting for 3591 cal to bulk. I ended up with 3535 which is close enough I feel.
    I was going for 30% protein (269g) - 35% fat (140g) - 35% carbs (314g). I actually ended up with 269/135/311. Here's the breakdown:

Before workout: Shake made of:

1.5 servings Skim Milk
    2 servings Peanut Butter
    2 servings Special K Protein Cereal
    1 serving Strawberries
    1 serving Banana

Post workout: Same shake as before workout

Throughout the rest of the day:
    4 servings Chuck Roast
    3.5 servings Lentils

Last meal:
    2 servings Peanut Butter
    1 slice Whole Grain Bread
    1 Egg
    1 Slice American Cheese

I tried to get the majority of my carbs in around my workout. Pre and Post-Workout combined was 213g of carbs. The rest are spread out throughout the day.

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. BigNattyDaddy

BigNattyDaddy Member

Is the pre workout shake what you drink for breakfast?

3. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

It would basically be the first thing I consume that day, yes

4. Eman

Eman Member

How much do you weigh? How lean are you?

The categories you fit your foods into is kind of hard to follow, is the shake for breakfast?

5. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

Currently 195 lbs and ~12-13% BF

The shake is what I would have basically as breakfast. It's the first thing I would have when I wake up in the afternoon (I work 12 hour nights). I would have the first shake 1-2 hours before a workout. Then another one after my workout. The rest of the food is the total of what I would eat throughout the day.

My work days are somewhat unpredictable in terms of when I'll have downtime to eat so it's hard for me to put all of it in terms of how much I'll eat in one sitting and how often I eat, so everything after the shakes is just the total for the rest of the day.

6. BigNattyDaddy

BigNattyDaddy Member

Try egg whites and/or oatmeal instead of the breakfast shake. I think you'll get tired of drinking two of those everyday.

7. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

I will definitely be making other meal plans. You're right about the shakes. Eating the same thing every day would make me quit eating forever haha. I'm more or less just trying to make sure that I haven't made any horrible missteps that I should avoid in general. I may or may not post more meal plans in the future

8. BigNattyDaddy

BigNattyDaddy Member

You can eat burgers, pizza, and ice cream. Don't torture yourself. But don't eat them every day lol. Moderation is key. :)

9. BigNattyDaddy

BigNattyDaddy Member

NorthMich likes this.
  10. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Member

Are you positive your TDEE is 3091 because you weigh less than 200 lb and that sounds a little high to be honest. Are you extremely active during the day or something?

Your diet sounds pretty good, it's going to be a lot of trial-and-error to see what your body likes or dislikes. My body personally prefers higher carb lower fat so on your diet that would be too much fat for me.

11. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

I've always been known for being a heavy eater for my size. Most people who know me specifically know me for that. When I was 212 pounds (before getting injured) I was counting calories, but not necessarily macros, and was averaging about 3700 a day. But one of my friends was 238 pounds and working out all the time and couldn't lose weight to save his life at 2500 calories

12. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

Oh and thanks for the tip on the meal prep sites!

13. brutus79

brutus79 Member

I don't know bro... I would bulk with a lot more carbs and fat. Bulking is the time to really build muscle, and carbs and fat are essential in fueling that training to take you above anywhere you have been before you cut. Your meal plan looks like a cut to me, not a bulk.

NorthMich, Logan44551 and Eman like this.
  14. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

Any suggestions as far as macros go?

15. Eman

Eman Member

I would only do one meal with lentils... I would sub in white rice for other meals. The lentils are too much fiber to eat all day, they'll slow you down and be too filling.

I would add some cooked vegetables like peppers and spinach to your beef and rice meal.

I would add kombucha to help with digestion, it'll help keep you feeling less bloated if it feels like a lot of food to you.

Add some grass fed butter, like kerrygold, into your diet. Some other sources of protein throughout the week like salmon or ground bison. Chicken thighs, eggs and some dairy like cheese or yogurt would be good to try to work in. Your diet is very repetitive, I don't know anyone that can bulk on repetitive meals successfully... You have to keep it interesting and add variety, but eat intentionally.

Either he has a thyroid disorder or he was not eating 2500cal a day. My vote would be the latter.

FourOneDeuxFitt likes this.
  16. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

Well this was basically just a sample meal plan for one day. There's no way I would eat that everyday. That would be torture haha.

Thanks for the suggestions

17. brutus79

brutus79 Member

400/500/300 would be a bulk for me... I'm 6'2" 275, but when I was 240 I would eat at least 6k a day with at least 350 grams protein... tons of fruit, veggies, rice, peanut butter in jars. Beef, chicken, fish. Just eat man. Whole milk. Quarts of egg whites with chocolate syrup. Bulk.

18. BigNattyDaddy

BigNattyDaddy Member

Egg whites with chocolate syrup :eek:

NorthMich and TheH0517 like this.
  19. brutus79

brutus79 Member

Bro- a quart of egg whites is pasteurized... mix it with chocolate syrup and do not shake hard.... very gentle... like yoohoo. 90 grams protein. You are welcome.

20. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You people are something else!

BigNattyDaddy likes this.