Floor presses??

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Johndoe, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Johndoe

Johndoe Member

Looking to mix up my chest workouts do shock the muscle does many of you do floor presses? You no laying on your back doing a chest press on the Floor? What does it do different to doing it on the bench?

2. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

To me the floor acts as the bench, and if you merely lay your legs out straight you won't have leg drive vs some leg drive if you draw your legs up and place feet on floor. Also your whole body is stable on the floor.

3. showstoppa

showstoppa Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Floor pressed work your chest less than regular bench. They are used to help work a weakness for strength.

4. CAswole

CAswole Member

I did em for awhile in my garage when I had a rack but no bench. They shorten the range of motion giving your shoulders a little break. Great tricep pump I remember.

MindlessWork likes this.
  5. MindlessWork

Could you then go heavier on floor press than with regular bench press?

6. CAswole

CAswole Member

Yes. Shorter range of motion = more weight.

MindlessWork likes this.
  7. MindlessWork

That sounds great for breaking through some sticking points. I managed to nail a 315 on regular bench for a double a few weeks back, so I could try 335 floor press max.

8. showstoppa

showstoppa Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Honestly on floor presses at first you will prolly have to lighten the load until you get used to it. After a week or two you can start throwing on the weight and you should be able to move much more weight.

The lift should be tricep focused and used to improve lockout and/or the top half of the lift if that is where you struggle. It's similar to board presses.

9. Ironlord

Ironlord Member

Probably not lol.
    You're going to essentially be starting from a dead stop at most people's sticking point, so you'll have to lighten the weight quite a bit initially..
    On the up side floor presses do make your bench a lot stronger...

MindlessWork likes this.
  10. ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

I do them. I was formally introduced to them by this book.[​IMG]

as a "bodybuilder", I find a lot of benefit from that "squeeze" at the top. if you watch some bodybuilders you might notice a shortened range of motion.

and I can do them outside, without equipment, and get a tan. all which ive been known to do.

Last edited: May 8, 2018