Front squat help

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by CAswole, May 22, 2019.

1. CAswole

CAswole Member

Hey dudes, I'm thinking of adding front squats to my routine to help build my deadlift. However in the past any time I've ever tried them I completely suck at them as they are awkward and I give up quickly. I'm thinking of trying them with a safety squat bar turned backwards.? Any of you guys out there with some tips would be appreciate it.

2. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Get a front squat harness. I got one a few months ago and love it.

CAswole, T-Bagger and ickyrica like this.
  3. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

CAswole likes this.
  4. Eman

Eman Member

I think I know why you suck at them. :)

Just keep practicing, man. I was never great at them but I did a program that included them after back squats twice a week. They were awkward at first but I eventually got quite good at them. Bracing properly is really key to keeping the tight form... not unlike back squats. I don't have great shoulder mobility so I tend to cross my arms... I probably should have gotten mobility issues worked out while I was doing the program.

5. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I can't keep my elbows and chest up with cross armed grip. Makes me dump the weight.

CAswole likes this.
  6. Eman

Eman Member

My elbows drop occasionally but as long as my core stays tight the bar holds in place behind my front delts. However, if I don't get it just right it can push back on my throat and get uncomfortable. I take plenty of time to get set up just right.

7. @gr8whitetrukker can give you great advice , hes got the front squat down good (I hate them). And the quads to prove it...;)

8. CAswole

CAswole Member

You beat me to it. I was going to tag him. :)

Oregongearhead likes this.
  9. CAswole

CAswole Member

Also back to my original post, anyone ever try these with a safety squat bar turned backwards?

10. Mayne

Mayne Member

A bit more information about what exactly is wrong with your front squat? I am training with weightlifters and front squat often with a very non-oly build (big arms, immobile hips, long femur, rounded shoulders) which I am working on and yet I am able to front rack with 5 fingers under the bar if you don't have extremely bad build you have no reason to doubt you will be able to do them if you work hard enough. I have many videos to help you with each aspect if you would provide more detail on what you need to work on. Easiest way to do it would be with straps just watch a video on youtube to understand

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    CAswole likes this.
  11. Ironlord

Ironlord Member

I use straps. Wrap around the bar and then just pull up on them. After a certain weight it gets hard to not dump the bar with crossed arms as mentioned above. And yes, core bracing is definitely important...

CAswole likes this.
  12. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

If you can only front rack with one finger, do it and squat. Eventually you'll get two in there, then three and so on.

I found that the issue wasn't at all my shoulders, but just an extreme tightness in my forearms. Just took time and reps to stretch everything out.

CAswole likes this.
  13. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Zombie squats
    Then youll really see where your weaknesses are. Nothing to brace against. Just your abs, erectors and the bar
    Dont bail...

Oldschool, TANGO.ECHO.KILO and Eman like this.
  14. Eman

Eman Member

I think they're also called Frankenstein squats! Good suggestion.

gr8whitetrukker likes this.
  15. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

They are only awkward because you come to accept BS as the standard. No different than some new squatter just learning to do a basic BS. I would even say its just mental for you. It was for me back when i had to start over. Cuz thats what it is for alot of ppl. Starting over. Embrace it and learn from the suck youll benefit in the end. Most of all be positive. Nothing kills progress more than negativity. Mindset is key

CAswole likes this.
  16. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

Sounds like how you start a woman out on anal.

Found this video helpful:

I like that harness though @Perrin Aybara

17. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

It's working well for me. Lets me get what I want out of front squats without worrying about being able to hold the bar up or not limiting my weight and reps.

T-Bagger likes this.
  18. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

Dont forget the parsley. :oops:
    @gr8whitetrukker summed up the front squat in another post year or so ago. I had it saved on my phone but that phone is dead and gone. It was truly the best summary of the front squat. Thinking hip mobility has a lot to do with it. Nice thread swole!

CAswole and gr8whitetrukker like this.
  19. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Nice dig.

Since we're apparently still on that trip, ready for that programming, Bubba? All ready to go as soon as I've got your 1RM's.

Assuming you have time to lift between dodging and deflecting questions.

20. cfreetenor

cfreetenor Member

Thinking of bringing my elbows together usually helps me. Also just try to keep the top half of your chest up. Hope that makes sense.