Fuel injuction carburetors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ickyrica, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I have a 86 monte and want to convert to a fuel injection system. They have kits to convert over, starts around 1k. Basically it's a carb replacement that looks like a carb but isn't.

Anyone ever use these? Experience?

Thanks guys

2. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I’m from the world of LS SWAP THAT BITCH.

3. ickyrica

Would if I could. Ballin on a budget.

Anyone trade for some test?

Burrr, T-Bagger and Mac11wildcat like this.
  4. Mac11wildcat

Post a link. I’m interested.

This sounds like it could be a bitch. Fuel injection is a bit more complicated than this kit sounds to pull off.

5. ickyrica

Holley Sniper EFI 550-511 Holley Sniper EFI Self-Tuning Kit - Black Ceramic Finish

Something like this. Seems pretty easy, couple sensors, fuel inlet etc. And I have all the ancillary stuff in place, just need to swap the carb out. I want the Fi kit because it's a bitch to keep her purring with the gas around here. I don't want to have to keep up on it anymore. Either getting this done or maybe selling her, not sure.

T-Bagger and Mac11wildcat like this.
  6. Mac11wildcat

My advice would be call somebody who’s big into domestic engines and ask them what their recommendation is for carb to FI. If this is it then cool. I’d ask a pro. I know it says it self times but I’d inquire if it is manually tunable and hit the dyno with a local shop if so.

ickyrica likes this.
  7. Find you a used TPI unit from the "85-91" Camaro z28-Trans-Am-Corvette . It will add a lot of power plus they look cool . Like a big tarantula sitting on your motor . The late model LT-1 unit will fit your early block too . Both will work but you will need the same computer/harness. Check the junkyard...

148_0207_tpi_lead_z.jpg

Big_paul, Burrr, T-Bagger and 2 others like this.
  8. ickyrica

for the cost, I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go. More research to come but I'll end up contacting a manufacturer most likely.

lol, I like it!

9. Icky-- That Holley Sniper unit might work pretty good too . Looks complete .

ickyrica likes this.
  10. ickyrica

bought the 550-510 master kit today. EFI setup with an electrical fuel pump kit. Mechanical pump block off plate as well. Will update after install.

11. Cool , you keep that Ol' Monte on the road !

T-Bagger and ickyrica like this.
  12. ickyrica

She's been sitting for so long. Maybe 100 miles a year since I bought her, it's not fair. She needs the open road.

T-Bagger and Oregongearhead like this.

13. YES SHE DOES !!
    ls0916-254241_1@2x.jpg

14. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

My good friend had that car when we were in high school. I mean that car. Oldschool cool right der. Hope you have been well OGH.

Logan44551 likes this.
  15. ickyrica

Mine isn't that nice, but I like her. I have a wicked soft spot for baby blue g body cars. My ultimate favorite is a mid 80s Buick regal t type. I saw a cherry black t type for sale online like 3 years ago, 14k. I didn't have the flexibility to buy it then. I have called the dealer that sold it 3 times now trying to get them to broker a deal with the folks that bought it. Ultimate sleeper. Here is my monte, nothing great but it's a pretty clean way back time machine for sure. 20190222_141711.jpg

16. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Just do the LS swap. I think that's what I'm gonna do with my Nova eventually.

ickyrica and Oregongearhead like this.
  17. douchebag

douchebag Member

the cheapest and easiest to install is made by fitech its a basic kit made for do it urselfers i installed many and they work there much more better kits made by fast but no need to waste the money for ur application .basic 400hp kit is fine . your gonna have to run a 3/8 return line to tank and also buy a sender for your gas tank for an electric fuel pump. also ditch the factory intake w a basic edelbrock performer you can swap this kit onto a 350 once u get some money for a decent motor

18. ickyrica

$$$$ need $$$$

I have so much cash tied up in my crib right now. It's scary how much cash a remodel will swipe from a check book. I'll trade oils for one, no joke lol. If I get an LS I need to work on the 200r4, pretty sure an LS would pull that apart in no time.

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  19. ickyrica

It's a stock 305, maybe 200hp. Baby motor for Sunday driving haha

20. ickyrica

Still have to run the return line with the holly. Seems pretty easy though.