Attention Guest: Please make sure that you are using a unique password to login to MESO. If you have used your MESO password on another website, change it immediately. You should NEVER share the same login credentials on multiple websites.

HAM radio enthusiasts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Logan44551, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Logan44551

Logan44551 Member

Any operators on here? My house uncle recently passed away and I inherited all his HAM radio equipment. Looks like I need to get an antenna, but have everything else to set up a small bench. I have been studying online to take the operator test. Any advice would be appreciated in terms of set up. Thanks fellas

ickyrica likes this.
  2. Uglyrichie

Uglyrichie Member

My brother in law and my father in law are big into it I can ask them if you want. If so let me shoot me ur questions

3. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Subbed cuz I'm a nerd

sinewave3 and Logan44551 like this.
  4. sinewave3

sinewave3 Member

Taking the test and getting some Ham gear is on my list of fun stuff but I never get around to it.

Once you pass the 1st test you get one of those badass call signs too!

Logan44551 and ickyrica like this.
  5. rugerjitsu

rugerjitsu Member

I had a buddy that lived was into the sticks of wv that was really into this stuff. He told me he talked to a guy in Jamaica on his radio...could that be true?

Aside from making friends in different places, what is there to do? Could you start a radio show or something?

Logan44551 and ickyrica like this.
  6. Endure

Endure Member

You can communicate around the world on certain radio frequencies, yes. It's all based on propagation and physics.

Logan44551 and rugerjitsu like this.
  7. Kakarot

Kakarot Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Its true, my old service manager was into it big time. Went to all these HAMfests where teams try to get the most contacts in a set amount of time. They can bounce off the space station when it's in range and get crazy fucking distance.

sinewave3, Logan44551 and rugerjitsu like this.
  8. Neewbiest guy

Neewbiest guy Member

I used to operate HAM radio years ago. I would talk to people in Australia. I'd give my call sign but then you'd know who I was if you liked it up.

Logan44551 likes this.
  9. Neewbiest guy

Neewbiest guy Member

What kinds of radios do you have, uhf, vhf, 10 meter, HF? I had a couple of hand helds, a VHF/UHF in my work truck, and the a pioneer HF on my bench at home. I don't have any of it anymore, but they were fun to tinker with.