Help with Proton Mail

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by anonynmous39596706, Sep 21, 2015.

1. I just recieved the confirmation for Proton Mail. In the set up it asks for a recovery email address. If I use my email won't that link them in some way. Sorry for tagging you @pumpingiron22 but I know you have the answer

2. turcao

turcao Member

I think the recovery address is just in case you lose your password and they have to send a reset link.

3. But is it safe to have the Proton email address connected to you by having them linked?

4. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Just create an unconnected email address solely for this purpose.

turcao likes this.
  5. Thank you. Does this have to be set up on a pre-pay phone to keep it from linking to your IP address?

6. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

You can use a VPN app (especially one with a killswitch) on your regular mobile as one way of hiding your real ip address...

anonynmous39596706 likes this.
  7. Bender83

Bender83 Member

^^ yes, this is what you want to do! My first protonmail account that I set up, I wasn't using my head, and linked it to one of my legit email addresses. Needless to say I had to apply for another protonmail account, and get a burner email addy to link to it.

anonynmous39596706 likes this.
  8. I was just about to finish the registration when I decided to ask. Glad I did, thanks

9. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

You can change your linked email in settings anytime

10. But I bet there would be a history of linked emails that might lead someone to you.

11. Bender83

Bender83 Member

I did not know this, but I would think the same thing as Rocco. I'm paranoid so I just made another. Cool thing was I only waited like a week for my 2nd account invite, so it was not a big deal.