Help with security

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by Docd187123, May 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM.

1. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

looking to beef up my internet security and have a few questions. I’m looking into running TOR on a live OS like Tails. I also want to run the signal through a VPN provider, paid for with anonymous bitcoin. Ideally, I like the idea of running VPN over Tor so that I have the anonymity of TOR with the encryption and privacy of the VPN. My issue is this, everywhere I look, it says TOR won’t access .onion sites running this method since the final exit node of the internet traffic would be the VPN and not a TOR exit node. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Are there any workarounds to this that someone is aware of?

2. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

I guess nobody knows anything?

3. Thaistick

Thaistick Member

Try NordVPN with tor. It has specific settings and instructions that are so easy even a caveman can do it I would look on infosec sites for this info.

4. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Thank you Thai stick. I know NordVPN has built in servers/configurations for TOR over VPN traffic to make it seamless and easy. My question though is: can I do VPN over TOR while also retaining the ability to access .onion sites?

5. msl3862

msl3862 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

@Docd187123 I believe the answer is yes to both questions. I'm no expert and not advocating any particular VPN provider but Nord is the cheapest I found based outside the US with a no logging policy ($99 for 3 yrs). Hope these are helpful to you and others:

nordvpn.com/blog/5-linux-distributions-for-privacy-and-security/

tails.boum.org/blueprint/vpn_support/

nordvpn.com/blog/tor-over-vpn/

nordvpn.com/features/onion-over-vpn/

I intentionally did not post active links to commercial sites.

Docd187123 likes this.
  6. Eman

Eman Member

@grey can probably give you a hand, if I'm not mistaken.

Docd187123 likes this.
  7. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Thanks for the help MSL! I’ve looked into nord but the problem. Is that those are talking about tor over vpn. I’m trying to get vpn over tor going.

msl3862 likes this.
  8. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Is he still around?

9. msl3862

One more caveat: I have never visited any of the sites mentioned at the bottom of my third reference and DO NOT suggest anyone else do so. The diagram in the middle of the page helped me visualize the server connection pattern and what I hoped was the answer to Docd's exit node question. That is my only reason to mention it.

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM
  10. msl3862

Sorry I didn't know the answer. Hope someone else will.

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    Docd187123 likes this.
  11. Eman

Eman Member

He pops in from time to time I think...

Docd187123 likes this.