High Intensity Labour Job & Bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Steroid Forum' started by TownTX, Apr 5, 2020.

1. TownTX

TownTX Member

With the coronavirus fucking up my work I taken a job in a warehouse.

6 days a week, 8 hours per day with a 30 minute lunch break.

The job basically involves launching 20-30kg items into 18 wheel trucks for a straight 7.5 hours at a silly quick pace with the items flying down the belt one after the other. Monitored my heart rate on the 3rd shift and it stayed at a consecutive 130-150bpm for the entire 8 hours accept on the lunch break.

My concern is calorie consumption. This must be burning a fuck load of calories but I have no idea how to calculate how many. And as such not sure how to adjust training and diet. Any ideas on how I could calculate an approximate calorie outtake from the work?

Can I drop workouts back to 2 x each week and still make reasonable gains? Time is short and in all honesty my upper core is pretty burnt out when I get home.

bigrobbie likes this.
  2. Jankauskas

Jankauskas Member

Its going to be extremely hard, I would focus on the job for the time being and forget about the training, based on what you described you are not going to be able to do both things for long.

SomeRandoGuy likes this.
  3. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

Drop workouts until you adapt to the job. Then add in two to three workouts per week. Load up on carbs in the morning. Carbs and protein for lunch. Then less carbs and more protein at night. Hammer a protein shake before you go to bed. I've been there when I owned a fence company. Handling cedar posts,steel posts,rolls of wire,etc all day long. Short and sweet workout was icing on the cake. Eating is more important now than the workout after work though. Congratulations on the job. Lots of people are jobless with this flu and the price of oil crashing.

Human_backhoe and SomeRandoGuy like this.
  4. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

You'll get used to it. I worked for a moving company for two years and still trained and progressed. Get plenty of sleep and rest as much as possible outside of work and gym. Food wise just add calories until you get the desired effect. Listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right in training call it a day and move on. Even minor injuries make for bad times doing heavy labor.

Silentlemon1011 likes this.
  5. CDNGass

CDNGass Member

I’m a ironworker (rodman). It’s extremely labour intensive. Packing steel all day tying heavy bar, tight spaces. I have a hard time keeping muscle on, especially when I started years ago. My advice... if you think your eating enough, your not...EAT MORE! Good luck

Silentlemon1011 likes this.
  6. randomguy87

randomguy87 Member

Yeah this is just plain bad advice. Several people work incredibly labor intensive jobs and still lift regularly and consistently. I was doing concrete construction as a laborer for years and still lifting 4 days a week. That's digging trenches all day and running jack hammers. You need to just cut back some on the lifting but if you are serious you will find a way to get workouts in. One thing I've always done is always train on your days off. That's less you have to do during the week.

7. Jankauskas

Jankauskas Member

Yeah, fantastic advice right here, that way, you wont recover from either your workouts and from the job itself, and given that most jobs require you to work 5-6 days a week, that means that you will work out 1-2 days a week, which is really going to give you great results anyway.

8. randomguy87

randomguy87 Member

I have been lifting every Saturday and Sunday for years. And I work as much as 70 hours some weeks. You are clearly one of those that justs makes working out part of your work week with the way you are talking. Those of us that truly enjoy it work out on our days off as well. I never said I don't work out during the week as well. I lift at least 4 days a week, every week, always. The guy is working 6 days a week, 8 hours a day. That isn't even very much. So lift Sunday morning, Monday morning before work, and then you only need to spend 2 days during the week getting sessions in. Not that hard when you have 16 hours a day to figure it out.

9. Jankauskas

Jankauskas Member

You can do whatever the fuck you want and think that you are above every one else just because you work harder than them, but the bad news for you is that it’s not about training/working hard, it’s about doing it the smart way.

If you just train because you like the act lifting weights, that’s great for you, but there is no fucking way in hell that you are going to build a physique doing what you just described.

The OP is in this circumstance temporarily from what I understand, because he lost his actual job and has to provide for himself or for him and his family, and in this case the wisest thing to do is to focus on his lifeline instead of lifting fucking weights on top of almost 50 hours of hard labour every week.

It seems to me that you have been influenced by the motivational bullshit on social media platforms because it’s clearly reflected on your spiel, but you are just another dumb fuck giving dumb fucking advice on the internet, you have no background on training because if you did you would actually understand the importance of recovery, and that training on top of hard labour isn’t getting you anywhere, and on top of that it’s hurting your performance in your actual job that, you know, is how you are able to put food on the fucking table.

Yeah, it’s a sad reality, but unfortunately there are some people that can’t/shouldn’t be lifting weights because of numerous reasons, their job being one of them.

10. Hawkins

Hawkins Member

Fellas, this is all solid advice here. Let’s not get too worked up. I lean more towards what @Jankauskas is saying. I worked a labor for 3 years after college and I can tell you the stress (physical and mental) took a toll.

If I could go back I would have trained when I could and relaxed a little more.

I had to do it to provide for my wife. I made minimal progress. The training was more for an outlet.

OP - I’d back off volume and intensity for a few weeks if you want to keep cranking, then slowing introduce V&I. If not, drop the training for the time being. You’ll bounce right back brother...

Jankauskas likes this.
  11. movingiron88

movingiron88 Member

I laborered in heavy construction for years and made good progress. The key for me was to lift before work. For many reasons. If you can get enough sleep then the only missing peice is eating enough food. Which is possible. You will adapt. We are humans that's what we do.

Millard Baker likes this.
  12. Human_backhoe

Human_backhoe Member

I tend to agree with @Oldschool. I love to lift a bit first thing in the morning, nothing too heavy! even before throwing 50lb hay bales all day and into the dusk in the heat of the summer. Diet seems to me to be the most important part of it all. I try to never get carb depleted. Both types of fiber with your meals slows the release of sugars and helps to not spike blood glucose levels. Same as fiber with your night time protein shake. It will slow the digestion down and slowly release the protein required for synthesis. Ease into it and take it slow. Lots of water!!!

Some of the biggest dudes I have known were farmers or tradesman. It just takes time to get the swing of it and learn your new caloric needs. Don't hammer it all at once.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  13. SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly Junior Member

I do residential construction work, very fast paced physical work with only 1 lunch break. I can manage to gain weight but I need to be super prepared and plan everything or else it's almost impossible. It's not the best solution but it's easy and works is weight gainer shakes. The high carb and calories will replace everything you burn and it takes no time to drink them. I'd prefer real food but I dont have the time and I already eat as much as I can in the short break I get. So not the greatest but it works

Oldschool likes this.
  14. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

Right on man. Takes a few seconds to mix up a shake. Saves the day for many working men.

15. Jankauskas

Jankauskas Member

You could make your own powder with whey, dextrose and ground oats.

If You look at the ingredients of most gainers, that’s what they are made with.

Human_backhoe likes this.
  16. Uglyrichie

Uglyrichie Member

fuck the patch I hated bar loved structural

17. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

It depends on the type of labor and opportunity for breaks. With construction work it's extremely difficult because outside of lunch there are usually no breaks.

Being a skilled laborer in a shop was different for me though from construction work. Although labor intensive I could still get a couple extra meals inbetween projects. I managed to gain mass, diet down and compete, all while still doing a labor intensive job. But with commercial construction it would have been a different ballgame. That was sort of just survival mode and training becaise I loved training. And in the summers when we started at 6am and I was getting up at 4am, REAL TOUGH!

My advice is to do what you gotta do to pay the bills, but either work your way up to a supervisor or keep an eye out for other job opportunities down the road

Jankauskas and boost creep like this.
  18. bigrobbie

bigrobbie Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I moved furniture for many years, just eat like a horse. You'll have to, if you're trying to maintain a competitive fisique you may be SOL, hard to maintain substantial mass, but while your doing this job focus on cutting. Train 2-3x week and just get chiseled! Imo