Home Gym: Stack vs Cage

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by SomeRandoGuy, Mar 6, 2020.

1. SomeRandoGuy

SomeRandoGuy Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I’ve decided to purchase a home gym since my older kids have expressed an interest in it and I know I would use it if it meant not going to the gym.

I was originally focused on a stack system designed for beginners that was well within my desired budget of $500-750 (Marcy) but wondering if I’m doing myself a disservice by going that route and not something more advanced like a cage (1k)?

I’m a beginner that has focused mostly on cardio most of my life. The times I’ve lifted I’ve always used the station approach where I set the stack, sit in and perform the exercise. A cage seems far more flexible but leaves me open to the possibility of poor form etc.

Any thoughts on which way to go? Thanks!

2. BigBaldBeardGuy

BigBaldBeardGuy Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Free weights > machines

I’m going to open you to the world of garage gym addiction. Go on Craigslist. Check it 2-3 times a week. You can find decent racks for $200. Plates will be around $0.50-$0.60 a pound. Get a decent barbell for $150 and a nice adjustable bench for $200. Go to tractor supply and get 2 horse stall mats $35-$40 each. Boom. That’s all you need to start.

And here’s the addiction part... the stuff never devalues. So if you see a better rack that you like, but it and you should be able to sell your first one for at least the amount you paid for it.

I’ve gotten some great deals because people just want to unload what they got and get rid of it.

You can curl in your own rack too and there’s no waiting for it to open up. I have teenagers and they use all the equipment too.

In the age of YouTube, you can pickup technique in minutes.

3. SomeRandoGuy

Hadn’t thought to go the used route. I’m in a smaller city so might have limited options but thanks for making me think about this differently. Thanks BBBG!

4. Uglyrichie

Uglyrichie Member

Amazon has racks if I remember right dicks has weight set 300lbs for around 3 something in their sales most times

SomeRandoGuy likes this.
  5. SomeRandoGuy

Nice!! Thank you so much! Found a 20 percent off coupon good for this weekend so that’s a killer deal for 300 pounds.

6. It may be worth while to take a road trip sometimes. I’ve driven 1.5hrs one way at times to grab dumbbells/plates/cable system. I live in a large city so I did the opposite of what your talking about. You never know, just have to keep your eyes open.

BigBaldBeardGuy and SomeRandoGuy like this.
  7. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

If you can't move through three dimensions, there's not much point to training.

Just my opinion.

Just dont throw more weight on the bar than you can handle. Invest in a good coach to learn proper movement patterns if need be. You'll get way more out of it in the long run.

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  8. SomeRandoGuy

Thanks for your feedback. I’m assuming your referring to dimensions as in movements bring forward/backward etc? And not something like diet, lifting etc?

I’ve spent most of the day looking at programs from Meadows to PHAT and wondering if I wouldn’t be far better served by getting a coach to help setup a program with me.

I don’t have super lofty goals or unreasonable expectations (unless getting a little ab definition and feeling comfortable with a shirt off at the beach is unreasonable). I’m fully aware of the commitment it will take and am excited about the journey.

9. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

If you're just looking for programming, look up Brian Alsruh. He's put out a number of free programs that are on point.

His power building program is a good starter. Tons of fantastic advice if you're looking to refine technique as well.

I meant you should hit up a coach if you completely lack confidence in your form.

SomeRandoGuy likes this.
  10. Look at a local fitness shop near you (online I mean, unless they don't deliver). They might have decent deals. Here, there's a 300lbs + barbell for 375$ deal. A cage is always fun, because it has a lot of versatility, you can add pull down extensions, dip bars, landmines, incline & decline bench. Etc...

Something I've never thought about are the bowflex 1090 DBs... saves a lot of space. Then when you just buy good old 100s 110s and so on as you go heavier.

Sadly, I have to go to training band route and lots of little add ons since I live in a condo and can't have a squat rack in the middle of my fucking living room. Stay swole brothers.

SomeRandoGuy likes this.
  11. SomeRandoGuy

Yeah I like the look of the adjustable Bowflex dumbbells and there are lots of really positive reviews, but they (like nearly all gym equipment these days) seem to be out of stock.

Fattest_animal likes this.