How do you count calories burned from cardio?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by M. Tugboat, Oct 19, 2019.

1. M. Tugboat

M. Tugboat Member

I think we all know that the readings on the cardio machines are inaccurate, so what I do is that I watch my heart rate and I just put the number along with how long I run.

But yesterday I was running for 90 minutes and my heart rate was anywhere from 120 to 190-200, so at the end of my session the treadmill said that my average heart rate was 180.

So what do I do? Do I put 180 for 90 minutes? Or I take everything on its own and add it up, like 120 for 30, 150 for 20, 180 for 10 etc etc?

What would give me a more accurate number?

2. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I would just use the number on the machine as relative measure. Today, you did x mins for y calories. Tomorrow, based on your goal, use that to do a mins for b calories.

Make sense?

If the goal is cardio endurance, then cals don’t matter and you’ll have to adjust intensity by either length or effort. Not easy to “track” unless you use a specific format like HIIT.

3. M. Tugboat

M. Tugboat Member

Weight loss is the goal.

And how is HIIT easy to track?

4. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Because HIIT should be very simple:
    -X number of intervals
    -y seconds of sprint
    -z seconds of rest

to make it harder you either increase sprint time, decrease rest time, or simply do more intervals.

5. johntt44

johntt44 Member

I use one of those online calculators and just figure that it's relatively close. I actually go ride my bicycle.

FLTestlab likes this.