How Many Days Per Week Do you Train?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by killerdice, Dec 19, 2003.

1. morepain

morepain Junior Member

Grizzly and Hogg have given you good advice, When i started at my company I made 6 bucks an hour redrawing cad files, that was 15 years ago. I could not have bought a freakin can of protein much less any gear, you need to forget about that for awhile. I paid my way thru college sometimes one freakin class at a time, engineering school at night after work, then i got a second degree in occupational leadership to allow me to move toward a graduate program. I am now VP of manufacturing for the same company and make around 80k a year plus bonuses and i still strive to better myself thru furthering my education. And you know what, now i get to concentrate on my bodybuilding endeavors. SOmetimes you have to put off what you want for what you truly need. Oh and BTW i still drive a 1999 toyota pickup that is paid for, it is funny when you get to the point where you can afford nice cars you typically have learned enough about the value of a dollar to realize that it is just not worth it.

2. Hogg

Hogg Junior Member

People who come from humble roots realize the value of a buck. A man who is poor, intelligent, and hungry is the guy who will make something of himself. A lot of people were born with a silver spoon in their ass and never had to work hard for anything....living trusts kicking them down $ 5K a month to go to school, BMWs since graduation, and leveraged to the fucking hilt at the age of 30. Money never stops spending.......

Anybody notice all of these debt consolidation firms advertising on the air??? I sent this to my girlfriend last week and some of you might find it interesting, the initial commentary is from me, the balance was from motley fool or some other similar site....

Get a load of this....specifically the debt picture. Notice how these credit restoration non-profit organizations have been popping up left and right??? Notice how they have been advertising "If you have more than $ 4,000 of credit card debt, you should contact us"

Well well well.....I'd bet that that 'if you have $ 4,000 of credit card debt" statement is designed to send shockwaves to people because the average is $ 18,900! Hah! You see, and with defaults occuring at a more frequent pace, one would think that a percentage of the country is essentially going to file bankruptcy at some point in the near future....meaning that they will have to sell their homes, meaning foreclosure opportunities, etc.

Just think, we might end up getting a nice house at a fire sale price just because all of the idiots in this world have been spending themselves to death :)

The bear case for the economy
    That's a strong bullish case, but I think the bearish one is equally, if not more, compelling. Summarizing the bearish argument, to quote Jeremy Grantham, we're experiencing " The Greatest Sucker Rally in History" as investors pile back into the most speculative profitless companies, while ignoring many dark clouds on the horizon, among them:

a.. The economy, especially consumer spending, which accounts for roughly two-thirds of the nation's economic activity, has benefited mightily from two short-term factors: easy year-over-year comparisons and a massive injection of liquidity from low interest rates, tax cuts, increased government spending, and the lingering benefits from the massive wave of home refinancings. When these factors pass -- I can't think of any more liquidity levers that the government or Fed can pull -- look out below!

b.. By almost any measure, the American consumer appears overextended after 47 consecutive quarters of increased spending. As Fred Hickey notes in the latest The High-Tech Strategist: "Consumer debt (credit cards and auto loans) have more than doubled over the past ten years to $2 trillion, with the rate of growth accelerating in the last two years. That equates to every household in America with $18,700 in credit debt. This does not include mortgage debt, which has soared at a 14% annual pace over the past year...Consumer credit as a percentage of income is at a record 19%. Household debt as a percentage of household assets is also at a record. Total U.S. debt is $33 trillion, or three times GSP. No major nation has ever carried such a sum (in dollars or as a percent of GDP). The consumer savings rate is almost negligible at 2%. The debt is a ticking time bomb."

c.. There are some signs that the bomb could start to go off: The American Bankers Association just reported that the percentage of consumers who were late on their credit card bills hit a record high in the third quarter of last year, and retail sales during the holidays were disappointing, despite very easy year-over-year comps.

d.. The latest employment figures aren't promising either: The Labor Department report released this morning showed that while the unemployment rate hit a one-year low, the number of workers on U.S. payrolls outside the farm sector in December increased by just 1,000, far below expectations of 150,000-200,000. And the manufacturing sector, which many expected would finally take on new workers in December amid signs of a turnaround, instead shed another 26,000 jobs, the 41st month of declines.

e.. Oil, natural gas, gold, silver, copper, and other commodity prices are at exceptionally high levels.

f.. The trade and budget deficits are high and rising, triggering the dollar to multi-year lows against many major currencies.
    In short, there's a lot to worry about, yet both stock and bond investors seem oblivious to the risks.

Interest rates
    With interest rates at or near multi-decade lows, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the next big move can only be in one direction. I don't know when and by how much interest rates will rise, but when they do, imagine what will happen to the highly leveraged American consumer (not to mention corporation).

3. Chip Bronson

Chip Bronson Junior Member

dynamite post hogg, as usual. how do you find the time is beyond me...

but as you said, the key is to get rid of your debt and save some cash, cash, cash. i know i'll be ready to take advantage when shit hits the fan (e.g. foreclosure opps) and i'll be picking me up another 2 or 3-family house. when that goes down, i should be set for my retirement, which won't be that far off. but then again, i live a meager existence...