How many eggs can you/shoul you eat per day

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by cvictorg, Mar 23, 2014.

1. cvictorg

cvictorg Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    theshallowdeath likes this.
  2. corageon

corageon Banned

I am used to eating about 4-5 a day, I'm still living!
    My buddies eat 3-5 a day as well. Young, but even their fathers and grandfathers do the same. Still healthy. Not even a serum cholesterol elevation.

theshallowdeath likes this.
  3. Voltrader

Voltrader Member

I go on long spurts of 6-8 a day. Cholesterol has always been good. If you are predisposed to high cholesterol then I see people who it will skyrocket. I think there is some genetics at play when it comes to cholesterol.

4. ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

interesting you post this. vic, lw64, do you have a personal recomendation for daily egg consumption. i eat half a dozen most days.
    ive also read that dietary fiber and lecthin (which egg naturally contain) can reduce the cholesterol in eggs. any studys showing that?
    and what about eating regular eggs if i eat salmon or sardines regularly.

5. Jimmyinkedup

Jimmyinkedup Member

I eat about 5-6/day, 5 days/week.

6. JC3

JC3 Member

2-8 depending on the day. Always at least a couple whole eggs and usually a bunch of whites. Had this last 18 carton hardboiled and it lasted 4 days.

7. Poult Sci. 2000 Jul;79(7):971-4.
    Enriched eggs as a source of N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids for humans.
    Enriched eggs as a source of N-3 polyunsaturated f... [Poult Sci. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
    Lewis NM1, Seburg S, Flanagan NL.

Abstract

Dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids (n-3 PUFA) decreases the risk of heart disease, inhibits the growth of prostate and breast cancer, delays the loss of immunological functions, and is required for normal fetal brain and visual development. The US has not established a recommended daily intake for n-3 PUFA. However, Canada has established the Canadian Recommended Nutrient Intake (CRNI) at 0.5% of energy. Dietary sources of n-3 PUFA include fish, chicken, eggs, canola oil, and soybean oil. Food consumption studies in the US indicate that the majority of Americans do not meet the CRNI for n-3 PUFA. Mean n-3 PUFA consumption was 78% of the CRNI for Midwestern women during pregnancy. In Midwestern women at risk for breast cancer, the mean n-3 PUFA consumption is approximately 50% of the CRNI. Increased consumption of n-3 PUFA requires identification of a food source that the public would eat in sufficient amounts to meet recommended intake. N-3 PUFA-enriched eggs can be produced by modifying hens diets. When 70 g/kg of cod liver oil, canola oil, or linseed oil are added to a commercial control diet, the n-3 PUFA are increased from 1.2% of egg yolk fatty acids to 6.3, 4.6, and 7.8%, respectively. Feeding flaxseed increases linolenic acid in the egg yolk about 30-fold, and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) increases nearly fourfold. When individuals are fed four n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs a day for 4 wk, plasma total cholesterol levels and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) do not increase significantly. Plasma triglycerides (TG) are decreased by addition of n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs to the diet. N-3 PUFA may influence LDL particle size, causing a shift toward a less atherogenic particle. Blood platelet aggregation is significantly decreased in participants consuming n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs. Overall results of studies to date demonstrate positive effects and no negative effects from consumption of n-3-enriched eggs. Three n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs provide approximately the same amount of n-3 PUFA as one meal with fish. It is recommended that n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs be used as one source of n-3 PUFA to increase individual consumption to meet the current Canadian recommendations.

Nutrition. 1993 Nov-Dec;9(6):513-8.
    Consumption of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid-enriched eggs and changes in plasma lipids of human subjects.
    Consumption of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty a... [Nutrition. 1993 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI
    Jiang Z1, Sim JS.

Abstract

The cholesterolemic effect of chicken eggs enriched with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) was investigated in healthy volunteers. Twenty-three male university students consumed two regular or n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs per day with their habitual diet for 18 days. Plasma total cholesterol (TC) and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) levels were raised in subjects who consumed regular eggs but were maintained virtually unchanged in those who consumed n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs. Intake of two regular eggs a day did not affect plasma high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and plasma triglyceride (TG) levels, but intake of two n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs a day resulted in a significant elevation in HDL-C (p < 0.05) and a reduction in plasma TG (p < 0.01). Consuming regular eggs tended to decrease both HDL-C/TC and HDL-C/LDL-C ratios, whereas consuming n-3-enriched eggs tended to increase them. The n-3 PUFA contents in plasma lipids of subjects who consumed n-3 PUFA-enriched eggs were also found to be elevated. These results demonstrate that the cholesterolemic property of chicken eggs can be modified by altering the fatty acid composition of yolk lipids.

8. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Goodness mate that's probably a little to much, curious why so many my friend?

Regs
    jim

9. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Agreed CBS it's the FAT/F-As that will kill you and for most of those folks whom DON'T have a hereditary dyslipidemia eggs, are a MINOR contributor to elevated triglycerides that JI can eat FIVE EGGS per day PROVIDING everything else is in check (normal).

10. LW64

LW64 Member

As many as you like, unless you are one of the FEW hyper-responders who get a crazy increase in cholesterol.

11. ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

i keep it to a half dozen. thanks for the reply :).

12. GeneticBeastLobster

GeneticBeastLobster Junior Member

Especially when cutting I put down about 4 whole eggs + 4 egg whites a day 4 or 5 days a week. Last time it was checked (about 2 months ago) my cholesterol was all in check. But honestly I had never really thought twice about it when keeping it at that amount or lower a day.

13. ChillBill

ChillBill Member

2 to 4 a day. Sometimes more :) Me hungry :drooling:

14. Saka003

Saka003 Junior Member

I eat maximum 4 eggs. I can't eat more than 4 in a day.
    Usually I eat only 2 eggs in my daily breakfast. I think 2 eggs are enough for me to get good amount of the protein and energy.

15. ajmustard81

ajmustard81 Junior Member

4 eggs every morning 7 days a week.

16. paulietuck

paulietuck Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

6 every morning after the gym 7 days a week I eat the EB (egglands best) sometimes I might skip a couple of the yolks..:drooling:

17. skywalk

skywalk Member

sometimes after gym, or after a meal when im not full yet, i'll drink 12 half-boiled whites with just 1, or sometimes no yolk. (depends if I accidentally break the yolk or not lol)

I have 2 whole eggs for bfast everyday as well.

18. Saka003

Saka003 Junior Member

Any comment?

19. Oberno

Oberno Junior Member

5-6 eggs per day if bulking. if not 2-3 days are enough with emphasizing on egg whites.

20. Capt Forest

Capt Forest Member

there are days where i will eat about 10 whole eggs a day. I normally keep it to five.