How much could the average Gorilla lift?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ronin_, Feb 17, 2004.

Ronin_

Ronin_ Junior Member

lol I'm bored so got to thinking how strong is a gorilla? If you could get them to bench press, do you think an average gorilla no training could do 500lbs or more?

Fast Food

Fast Food Junior Member

This is simple, first find out how much speedobo weighs or just ask his gorilla / monkey neighbor.... hope this helps!

dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

Depends on how much the gorilla weighs, people have the misconception that gorillas have some sort of superhero muscle, but the fact is if you took a human with equal amounts of muscle mass it is more likely the human would be stronger.

Ronin_

Ronin_ Junior Member

You're getting obsessed with speedo-boy FF!

Ronin_

Ronin_ Junior Member

How much does the average gorilla weigh then? I would have thought they were much stronger, chimps especially for their weight as they are in the trees all the time.

dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

I don't know how much the average gorilla weighs. If swinging in trees made you stronger and don't think we would be spending all of our time in the gym. ;)

Ronin_

Ronin_ Junior Member

lol well it's not the same exactly, but male gymnasts have very good physiques and strength

eleven11

eleven11 Junior Member

I had an arguement once with a guy about who would win a fight between a gorilla and a kodiak brown bear. I said the bear and he lost it.
    1500lbs vs what? 400lbs no contest........11

dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

lol thats a funny argument :D

thick

thick Junior Member

lmao. I disagree with dolfe and i can't believe i am getting ready to argue about how strong a gorilla is lmfao. Ok, I think they are pound for pound stronger. They handle their body weight like it is nothing. Look at bigger/heavier humans. They struggle compared to lighter humans with body weight exercises such as chinups etc. With that said and no training involved there is no way they could do 500 pounds. They could probably pick up close to that in a deadlift sort of move. Gorillas don't seem to use their chest much. I doubt they could do 200 pounds. Their chests are big due to swelling from the constant beating they inflict on themselves trying to impress the females

dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

I don't see how your agrument contradicts mine, I think you're just accustomed to disagree with me.

ijustmegdu

ijustmegdu Junior Member

while at the dan deigo zoo i was told that there 300lb orangatang (sp?) is exteremly strong, storgner then several men. translate that into a bigger gorillia and i think it would be no contest for the animal. remember on fox last year they had a tug of war with a o-rang and a sumo wrestler, o-rang kicked ass.

thick

thick Junior Member

that must be it :D Just, that is back, arms, and legs which they dominate compared to us. They only use their chest as a drum set

dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

Again as I stated in my first post, equal amounts of muscle mass, think about it, a sumo wrestler? Come on. I'd like to see that thing tug with Mariusz.

dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

Of course they dominate, they have more muscle, they weigh more, their strench is not due to muscle fibers, but muscle mass.

ijustmegdu

ijustmegdu Junior Member

also remember that these animals walk with their arms alot, a 400lb silverback pushing its weight around all day does work the chest. hands down it could bang out at least 400.

Mark Kerr

Mark Kerr Junior Member

Ok, this is ridiculous. First, a gorilla is SEVERAL TIMES stronger than a human being, even with EQUAL muscle mass. Why? Because their muscle insertions are on different places on the bone, thus causing greater leverage. This is why small apes (chimps, etc.) are so freakishly strong. It has nothing to do with their swinging in trees. Even lab-raised apes are much stronger than a human pound for pound. As far as the strength of a gorilla, they could EASILY bench press 500lbs. Gorillas are known to carry other gorillas their own body weight under their own arm (like a loaf of bread). I dont know of any powerlifter who could easily carry another powerlifter long distances while holding him under his arm.

[MK]

P.S. Now the kodiak bear versus gorilla thing has my brain going. Thinking about this matchup is stupid, but I cant stop doing it!

thick

thick Junior Member

nice post. I still think it would need to lift a few weeks just for coordination but i agree with all else. I think the bear could take the gorilla lmao who knows

Rod

Rod Junior Member

Mark, you do raise some good points, your best point is "kodiak bear versus gorilla who can tell the outcome? I would bet even money on the gorilla, but the Kodiak bear is my sentimental favorite.

chris gordon

chris gordon Junior Member

exactly....nothin to do with muscle mass...or the type of physical activities they do...all boils down to physiology...their bodies are meant to be stronger than ours...ever see a gorilla tear trees from the ground like its nothin? anybody ever try that?

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.