How much could this bar hold?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Chmewy, May 15, 2020.

1. Chmewy

Chmewy Member

I don’t know the bran because it was given to me for free. But is either a 15 or 20 pound bar cause it’s reading about 17-18 on my scale which doesn’t make sense but ok. But I don’t have any other bar and I’m broke due to this shit going on. I would like to add 225+ at least to the bar but I got a feelin this shit gonna snap. The plates as well are my homemade concrete molds that are around 48 pounds

2. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Um...is it an EZ Curl bar?

I've never run across a barbell that weighed so little.

3. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Maybe one of the skinny ones that have the screw on collars?

LeoTC and Mac11wildcat like this.
  4. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Thinking the same. The little plastic or rubber coated weight sets essentially for aerobics lol.

OP, throw 225 on and see, but take a video :rolleyes:

Blitz Comet, flenser, Heynow and 7 others like this.
  5. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I'd enjoy watching it fail. N95 and you're ready for Meso prime time. Don't feel bad if it happens. It's going to be funny as fuck and tbh, I've been alone at the gym and had a couple bench press fails before. Last rep on a 5x5, bar comes down and it decides to not move back up.... You learn quickly what your threshold for a weighted sit-up is :) and yes, I tape my sets :D

6. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

A KMart special?

I honestly dont think I could even use one of those guys. They're so thin the feel would just be...wrong. o_O

ickyrica likes this.
  7. Isnt that what the ladies say about your cock? Lol jk

CAswole, MindlessWork and ickyrica like this.
  8. Eman

Eman Member

If it's an Olympic barbell, it should be fine. Those are rated for more than they look like.

The real problem is if it's poor quality it'll bend. I've even had decent quality ones bend, but I had like 405 on the bar. The bend wasn't even the scary part, it was the whip.

Millard Baker likes this.
  9. The whip? Explain, please. Break it down to me like you're talking to a 5th grader too, 'cause i don't understand what that means.

10. Eman

Eman Member

Barbell whip is just how the bar bends. Manufacturers actually test this. If they create a bar that has no whip at all, it's advertised as a stiff bar.

Deadlift barbells commonly have a fair amount of good whip built into them. They bend fast and let you start moving the barbell before the weight is moving. Olympic weightlifting barbells also should have some whip but I would think they'd want less... Not really familiar with that world. Generally, it's something that has been intentionally built into the bar...

However, cheap barbells will also have whip just because they're cheap and they are real bendy. Good barbells should be able to bend but go back to their normal state when the force is removed... See the Joe Sullivan squat video.

Squats are a good lift to not have any whip in the barbell. It'll bend up and down if you have too much weight and the force will feel like you're getting nailed into the floor.

Millard Baker, LeoTC, flenser and 2 others like this.
  11. Chmewy

Chmewy Member

Ya exactly one of those lol.

12. Chmewy

Chmewy Member

Thanks for the reply’s, I’ve been sick and haven’t had the thought to see the reply’s. Anyway I just loaded 225 on it and I’m still alive. It didn’t bend I don’t think but when I deadlift tomorrow I’ll be able to see. But man does that fuck your palms cause that thing is so thin

flenser and ickyrica like this.
  13. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Only until I put it in the butt.

notanothersnake and Oldschool like this.
  14. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

My bar actually has a good amount of whip. I loved squatting because it almost wraps around my shoulders north of three plates.

That said, after training with it for years and then using a stiff squat bar...holy fuck.

I still like the whip in my bar when I'm doing rep work though.

15. Eman

Eman Member

I kinda liked that feel too.. But I was squatting 405, maybe it was 495, I forget... Lost my balance ever so slightly and that fucking bar started wobbling. I'd stand up a little and it would try to bounce me back down. That shit was unpleasant.

BigBaldBeardGuy likes this.
  16. I didnt know joe sullivan was such a big name. Hes always at all of my meets whether im competing or spotting. Nice guy

Eman likes this.
  17. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

How much you benching these days? Seems like I remember you having a 2x bodyweight bench a few years ago when we were on the SG forum.

18. . Yeah, im a hair under 200 body weight. Best comp is 413, 420 in gym. Doing my first bench only meet in july, so we will see how that goes.

Im impressed by your memory!

19. Eman

Eman Member

I really enjoy his videos and such, definitely a good resource and seems like a cool dude. I think he might own his own gym? I know he has been very involved with eliteFTS over the years, not sure if he still is or not.