Intramuscular Vit D therapy

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by 2yung4this, Sep 9, 2010.

2yung4this

2yung4this Junior Member

I have been taking Vit d Daily at a dose of 1000iu. I know that there are IM shots of Vit d. How are these shots dosed? weekly? monthly? And how are they absorbed? Like if I take 1000 a day, would the shot then be 30,000iu one shot per month? Or does it degrade faster than that, say I need 60,000 units to get the same results?

cvictorg

cvictorg Well-Known Member

eMJA: Annual intramuscular injection of a megadose of cholecalciferol for treatment of vitamin D deficiency: efficacy and safety data

Annual intramuscular injection of a megadose of cholecalciferol for treatment of vitamin D deficiency: efficacy and safety data

Participants: Five men and 45 women (mean age 66.3 years) with vitamin D deficiency who were given a single therapeutic intramuscular injection of 600 000 IU (15 mg) cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Conclusions: Once-yearly intramuscular cholecalciferol injection (600 000 IU) is effective therapy for vitamin D deficiency. While this therapy appears to be safe, the potential for developing hypercalciuria needs to be examined in a large randomised controlled trial.

In our study, a single annual intramuscular injection of 600 000 IU cholecalciferol was administered to 50 vitamin D-deficient participants. The therapy was effective, with normalisation of serum 25OHD levels and maintenance of a level well above 50 nmol/L at 12 months. This result was achieved with very little change in serum calcium levels and no deterioration in renal function, although there was a progressive increase in urine calcium excretion indices. The latter usually suggests an obligatory calcium loss, and may have been affected by oral calcium intakes. These findings raise the possibility of hypercalciuria. Future randomised controlled trials which include 24-hour urine calcium excretion measurements will be essential for validating the safety of megadose intramuscular cholecalciferol therapy.

We suggest that a once-yearly intramuscular cholecalciferol injection (600 000 IU) should be further investigated as a therapeutic option for treating vitamin D deficiency. This treatment is currently unavailable in Australia, and there is no ideal preparation of megadose vitamin D2 or D3 to fill this therapeutic gap. However, at a cost of $5–$10 per injection annually compared with $35 for a monthly course of 5 Ostelin capsules daily (suggested dosages to treat vitamin D deficiency),4 it is remarkably cost-effective. The simple dosing regimen also allows convenient outpatient management and may improve patient compliance.

EVALUATION OF VITAMIN D REPLETION REGIMENS TO CORRECT VITAMIN D STATUS IN ADULTS

Results
    We identified 36 discrete prescribing regimens. The 3 most common regimens were ergocalciferol 50,000 IU once weekly for 4 weeks followed by 50,000 IU once monthly for 5 months (n = 48); ergocalciferol 50,000 IU once monthly for 6 months (n = 80); and ergocalciferol 50,000 IU 3 times weekly for 6 weeks (n = 27). Each of these 3 treatments significantly increased serum 25-OHD (P<.01), but vitamin D sufficiency was achieved in only 38%, 42%, and 82% of study subjects, respectively. Regimens with >600,000 IU of ergocalciferol given for a mean of 60 ± 40 days achieved sufficiency in 64% of cases, without vitamin D toxicity

Conclusion
    In this study, regimens that contained at least 600,000 IU of ergocalciferol appeared to be the most effective in achieving vitamin D sufficiency. Guidelines for the treatment of vitamin D insufficiency in healthy adults should be developed.
    EVALUATION OF VITAMIN D REPLETION REGIMENS TO CORRECT VITAMIN D STATUS IN ADULTS

mrmorris

mrmorris Active Member

Hey,

Well it seems like you are getting plenty of vit d, everyday. What type are you taking? I take Vitamin D3 capsules. Each capsule contains 5000iu, taken once daily. It is recommended that adults get 5000iu of vit D per day. Vitamin D3 is the best form to take.

Are you Vitamin D Deficienct?
    If you are or not i don't think vit d injections is nessasary. BUT that is of course up to you and your Phyisican.

Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.