Is This Deep Ketosis..how do I get out?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by gurjas, Jun 6, 2011.

gurjas

gurjas Junior Member

Hello Everyone. Im a 22 years old male. 5'11 about 150 lbs. I had seen an endo last month and he recommended me to avoid or cut back on grains under the diet portion of the treatment plan. There was no allergy reasons or anything like that. At that time I was fairly new to nutrition (still am now).

So I took his advice too literal and all of a sudden. The following day I stopped all grains. I now realize I was coming from a high carb diet and grains have been a huge part of mine, and my family's life. Pretty much every meal. I also do not drink sodas or fruit juices, just water.

I basically went 5-6 days with 0 - very low carb intake a day (40-50g MAX, some days less) in take. I had no simple sugar intake. By the end of the week I had low blood sugar sypmtoms....confusion, angry at people for no reason, almost fainting. I drank a bottle of OJ and went to the ER. They checked my sugar there and was normal (the OJ). Nest day similar sypmtoms and I checked my sugar at my Dads house (hes diabetic) and it was low 60s.

I basically had some toast here and there the next week not knowing what was going on and still lacked a normal carb intake, nowhere near my usual when I look back.

At the end of the second week I was feeling even more crappy with swings in my sugar levels. I ended up at the ER again feeling crappy. The doc told me I dont think its hypoglycemia.

So given how I got myself into this situation (carb elimination) and my current sypmtoms (NO appetite like at all, kinda thirsty and urinate quickly after water ingestion, occasional low grade nausea), Is it possible I am in Ketosis? All basic ER bloodwork, CBC, coming back nornal.

I tried to add a lot of carbs in yesterdays breakfast...actually more carbs than I probably had that whole first week...I broke into sweats, higher bp, anxious, etc...I read a post today that when trying to come of Ketosis you must slowly add carbs back in, if you do it to fast you well get a rebound effect from improper sugar and insulin (I guess thats what happened maybe).

Im posting here because the docs have told me we dont know and are not thinking hyopglycemia.

People on this forum who know diet...especially the body builders seem to know the best about this stuff.

Is this Ketosis? How can I get out of it? How slow do I bring carbs back in?

If anyone has any insight it would be great, im feeling like crap and have never "carb cut" before. Thank you I appreciate any help you have no idea.

GirlyMan

GirlyMan Junior Member

Get some KetoStix and pee on 'em. Shade of purple indicates degree of ketosis.

Drink some OJ. Days to get into it, minutes to get out of it. Happens almost instantly. Probably why your ER lab work didn't show it. (None of this applies to Type 1 diabetics, but if you were you wouldn't be asking this.) Why do you want to be in ketosis anyway?

LW64

LW64 Active Member

You may or may not be in ketosis but, at the very least, you're going through keto-adaptation. Your body is switching over to handling more fat and less carb and it can be stressful. It sounds like you got the "Atkins Flu". It takes anywhere from a few days to a couple months to get through it and feel better.

Trying to come out of it as abruptly as you went into it may not make you feel much better. You need to choose a daily intake level of carbs and stick with it for a while. In the meantime, INCREASE your fat intake and go easy on protein. One reason why you may be having such a hard time is that you lowered your carb intake but didnt take in enough fat to speed up your metabolic switch to running on ketone bodies. If you eat too much protein when switching to low carb, your liver will convert the protein to glucose so the switch to running on ketones gets slowed and you feel like shit a lot longer than you would if your fat intake was higher.

[1] Same gms of carbs every day
    [2] Increase your fat intake
    [3] Go easy on the protein.

gurjas

gurjas Junior Member

Thank you for your reply.

I do not want to be in Ketosis...I want to get out of it, got into by accident, never actually even heard of it until recent. Im going to get the test strip tonight.

I want to bring back on carbs/grains in my diet to return to my normal feeling state. I just dont feel good without them. I had a bowl of gluten free oatmeal yesterday with like 25g of carbs and that messed up my sugar balance. I guess to much carbs at once. Gives me hypoglycemic sypmtoms when I have to many at once.

When I have stuff like OJ it causes spikes in my sugar/insulin and I get hypoglycemic effects as well.

So I was wondering if I do small meals spread out every 2-3 hours with a protein source and carbs, how many carbs should I include per meal for how many days and what rate should I increase at? Maybe start at 15 carbs per meal? How fast do I increase things?

Is there a diet to get out of ketosis and back on more carbs?

When I ingest to much carbs glocose gets to high cause my liver is making it to and my insulin shoots up and knocks off the balance. I didnt know dropping carbs fast or fully can make on seem hypoglycemic.

gurjas

gurjas Junior Member

"Trying to come out of it as abruptly as you went into it may not make you feel much better. You need to choose a daily intake level of carbs and stick with it for a while. In the meantime, INCREASE your fat intake and go easy on protein. One reason why you may be having such a hard time is that you lowered your carb intake but didnt take in enough fat to speed up your metabolic switch to running on ketone bodies. If you eat too much protein when switching to low carb, your liver will convert the protein to glucose so the switch to running on ketones gets slowed and you feel like shit a lot longer than you would if your fat intake was higher.

[1] Same gms of carbs every day
    [2] Increase your fat intake
    [3] Go easy on the protein."

I was really focusing on my protein intake and did not even think about fat...

Thank you. I will work on that. Meal: Maybe half a piece of toast l...1-2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil...will that be ok?

LW64

LW64 Active Member

Yep.

Also, think BACON.

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

As mentioned on the phone when carbs are low boost your fats. Protein should stay about your body weight carbs 100 grams complex. Fats about 75-90 grams. Holding this for a few days then we can adjust up on down, based on how you feel.

gurjas

gurjas Junior Member

Thank you LW64!

Thank you Shawn!

For the first time in days im nausea free without zofran. and i even feel a little hungry. couple days in a row even thinking of food would make me gag and almost vomit.

gurjas

gurjas Junior Member

Thank you GirlyMan!

hardasnails1973

Just hang in there things will balance them selfs out. Best piece of advice is do not get wrapped up in exact numbers down to tsp, just use a normal amount and judgment. 25-30 grams protein carbs will no make that huge of a difference. Do not fall into category of micromaging like many people do making matters worse adding stress

heavyiron

heavyiron Member

I can't go into ketosis unless my carbs are under 20 grams daily. As soon as I eat anymore than that I immediately come out of ketosis.

Structure

Structure Junior Member

I agree. This is very good advice.

I would add that, if you can do it, to split this up into five meals. If you have a family history of diabetes (and it sounds like you do), then splitting your intake into smaller, more frequent meals, is easier on your pancreas. In this particular example, that would work out to 5 meals of around 20 complex carbs each.

Personally, I eat 6 to 8 meals a day, but it's not for everyone (nor is it necessary).

GirlyMan

GirlyMan Junior Member

Yeah, I'm not getting all this talk about coming out of ketosis gradually. OP was out of ketosis within an hour of the bottle of OJ .

LW64

LW64 Active Member

Yep.

The OP is suffering from making the switch to low-carb without adding in enough fat to help it happen fast enough. He got de-hydrated and de-mineralized all while his BG was just high enough from all the protein he was eating to keep him in keto-adaptation limbo too long. If he had raised his fat intake, drank water until he floated, and added some salt (for weakness or nausea) and potassium (if he had muscle cramps) he would be past it much easier and he'd be happily eating low-carb with no sides within a day or two.

The lesson to be learned from this is that if you're going low-carb, you need to pretty much go face-down into the animal fat right away and go easy on the protein.

hardasnails1973

He is doing much better know. His cardiologist was very nice on the phone and admired he did know how the diet could have affected his symptoms but was open to it. I think he is good hands with a good team of drs

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.