Is this enough for legs?

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Forum' started by NickHollywood, Jan 30, 2018.

1. NickHollywood

NickHollywood Junior Member

I never do lunges or hack squats, is that bad?. Its usually starting with 5 sets of heavy back squats 8 to 13 reps then finish with 3 sets of front squats. 5 sets of leg press usually 10 -12 reps very heavy. Leg extension and hamstring curl. I usually always start with squats and dont change up the order of exersice too much. What are your thoughts on this? Also is it too.much to do squats and hack squats same workout?

2. Switcher

Switcher Member

For a bodybuilder, its never too much to do any two exercises for the same body part in the same workout. Control the overall volume though.

3. D-max

D-max Member

Are you training for bodybuilding or powerlifting?

4. NickHollywood

Bodybuilding

5. D-max

D-max Member

When I do legs I always like to start with lying or seated leg curls. Something to get some blood flowing. Then I move to something where I push some weight, squats, front or back, leg press. I'll move to lunges, split squats, hack squats. Finish with something like leg extensions or stiff leg deadlifts.

jJjburton likes this.
  6. NickHollywood

Its just that I find if I do 2 major exercises to failure like squats and leg press, then I wont have any real energy to go onto a third like hack squat or lunges, atleast not with any decent amount of weight. Maybe its a healyh issue thing that fatigues me so bad becauae I get winded v fast and have to take longer breaks between sets. Are 2 major heavy movements for lega enough or should I add one or 2 more and decrease the intensity of the first 2?

7. NickHollywood

In your post did you mean you move on to lunges split squats and hack squats or do you choose one out of the 3? Also what are your thoughts on heavy l back then front squats in the same workout, too.much?

8. D-max

D-max Member

I'd only take one to failure with heavy weight. The rest I'd do enough weight to leave a couple reps in the tank. Think of the others as getting a huge pump or stretching the muscle.

9. D-max

D-max Member

For example I'd do...seated leg curls, back squats(heavy), leg press with feet wider to work quads more, then split or hacks, and maybe finish with leg extensions.

10. NickHollywood

Ok ty for the replies man

11. MaskedLiberty

MaskedLiberty Member

This 100 percent.

Edit, I will add to this. I like to also do some unilateral movements like a horizontal squat press with little to no weight to warm up the ligaments, tendons and joints involved in the heavier compound movements.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  12. beameupscotty

beameupscotty Member

Weighted lunges are essential in my opinion, as are one-legged leg press. Everyone's hip are slightly tilted, be naturally, learned gait, or some other external/internal variable, so adding single leg isolation movements are essential to fix muscle imbalances/asymmetry and therefore growth.

Also, try adding Romanian Dead Lifts for your hamstrings and glutes and pause squats (sets where you hold the squat at 90 degree for 2-3 seconds for each rep). My legs aren't huge, by any means, but all of these exercises have greatly contributed to accelerated growth and strength. And by not huge, I mean my quads are 26 inches. I'm hoping for 28 within the next year.

13. D-max

D-max Member

Forgot to add RDL's. One of my favorites for hams. Like the weighted lunges too. I usually use a kettleball. Good stuff.

14. ScabbyJr

ScabbyJr Member

I broke out my hams into a seperate day as they were not getting enough attention. When I did that, they really responded. I save leg extensions until the very end. That way my quads are exhausted and I don't have to go heavy. This saves stress on my knees.

15. Brolloks

Brolloks Member

Leg press is the weak man's squat. Well, not quite - you can get some benefit with feet placement to target inner or outer quads, but don't consider it a "major" exercise, and definitely don't expend all your energy on both at the beginning of your leg workout.

Leave the leg press and hack squats to the end to push to total exhaustion.

16. D-max

D-max Member

Weak man's squat? John Meadows almost never squats because of his back, and does a lot of leg press.

What is your opinion of his leg development?

17. MaskedLiberty

MaskedLiberty Member

Not that you asked me, but his leg development is awesome.

In my opinion I leave leg press more for reps, although I do hit it heavier, for many reps also on occasion.

Hack squats is a whole different story, that in my opinion is one bad ass leg developer and strength builder.

Liberty

18. D-max

D-max Member

I wish we had a hack squat machine at my gym. As is, I try to replicate them with the Smith machine. Definitely burn up my legs quick.

19. Brolloks

Brolloks Member

I didn't say you can't develop good legs with the leg press, but obviously John Meadow's has a weak back, so my statement is correct :p

My point was that it isn't productive to use both as your main movements on leg day, especially not initially as OP suggested. What is the point of going heavy on squats and leg press right after each other if you've already squatted to exhuastion? Which is why I suggested that he can use it as a supplementary exercise at the end of his workout if he insists on doing it on the same day.

20. D-max

D-max Member

Not entirely true. You got pretty technical with your response so I feel obligated to do same.

You said "weak man". Different from weak back in my eyes. I wouldn't consider John to be a "weak man".