Job related inballances. How to correct them?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Oldman., Mar 18, 2018.

1. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

I am sure there are many of us that have this problem. A body part that is over developed due to your work. I have spent many years swinging hammers and tools of all sorts. My problem is my 15.5” forearms and my now 16” biceps. It’s frustrating to have nice looking forearms and them make your arm look so out of proportion.

Lately I have been using straps for all pulling movements to try and prevent them getting bigger as I attempt to grow the biceps. 854E1F95-4F1E-4ECF-92C4-7C66A3DEDE89.jpeg

Do any of you have a work/job related imbalance and What are you doing differently in your training to fix the imbalance?

CrispyRockClimber likes this.
  2. Heynow

Heynow Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Work your triceps.

CrispyRockClimber and Kakarot like this.
  3. Gbro

Gbro Member

^this

You may see your biceps, but everyone else will notice your triceps.

Kakarot likes this.
  4. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

Thanks for the advice. I work them lots but it’s slow growing. It’s the slowest growing body part for me. The biceps and triceps. I have tried heavy, volume, drop sets, super sets, weighted dips...... patients is most likely what it will take to get the upper arm larger than the lower.

I see stone masons that look really off balance with how there bodies changed to adapt to there work. I am glad my issue is only my forearms.

5. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

There is no reason to purposefully hinder forearm growth to try and let your upper arms grow more.. I would imagine your logic for this is that your forearms make your upper arms look small? If that's true, don't worry about that.. just keeping hitting them all equally as hard and let them both grow as much as you can.

Millard Baker and Oldman. like this.
  6. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

Nailed it in one. It’s frustrating when you need 19” arms to get them in balance. I don’t want arms that big to be honest. But I do want them balanced. Catch 22

7. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

20180318_095838.png
    Why only have like 15" forearms though when they could be bigger and look more powerful? Personally I respect someone's arms more when they have big, meaty, vascular forearms that are almost the same size as their upper arms compared to tiny little forearms that make them loom like they have never worked a day in their life.

Look at Frank McGrath for example. His arm proportions aren't "ideal" but if definitely take his arms over mine any day. Lol

20180318_095838.png

8. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

I suppose once you are simply masive it looks good. I don’t know Which I prefer honestly. But the way they look now is not what I am looking for. It may just take a few more years for everything to fill in.

9. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Yeah.. that's all I'm really trying to say. Lol. Just let them grow. I can almost guarantee you will be happy with the results regardless of the proportions. The only ones that really matter a lot IMO are the core measurements. As long as you have a lean waist, wide shoulders, and big arms. The small things like forearm to upper arm ratios are almost pointless. Obviously if you plan on being an Olympia physique competitor the fine details matter. Lol. But for the average joe, no one will ever notice. Ha.

prkway likes this.
  10. Few suggestions if you are having issues with bicep and tricep growth:

For bicep training, start off with a movement that hits your brachialis (varying hammer curl movements), then move onto your normal movements, (preacher curl, barbell curl etc)

For triceps, start off with some higher volume work on pushdowns before doing heavier movements. Do a dipping movement too but I wouldn't recommend weighted dips for triceps, I would suggest dips between benches with as many plates on your lap as you can, taking your time.

Then move onto an explosive movement (look up JM press, this will be your best friend if you are having issues adding arm size on), then start adding band tension or chains to these movements.

Then finish off with something to stretch them out like some lying extensions.

Then alternate order of the movements on a weekly basis: do a bicep lift, then a tricep lift, and go back and forth until you've done all lifts. Then have a day where you superset a set of biceps with a set of biceps, then try a day where you do biceps first, then triceps.

Arm training doesn't have to be very scientific. Just train your brachialis to add to the illusion and make sure you're doing a dipping movement and some heavy fucking press for triceps and you're good.

Anyway this imbalance isn't that extreme and is to be expected from working a job that requires you to use your grip.

11. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

My issue is heavy pressing. I have hardware in my left forearm that prevents me going super heavy. I have never tried the jm press though. I will give it a try.

12. You don't have to go heavy per se but just train some explosive movements for triceps in the 6-8 range on occasion, I generally prefer using band tension and chain tension past a certain point on tricep pressing movements with a barbell ( I even use a yoke bar for JM presses too sometimes just to vary bars).

13. I have the same "problem" but don't mind that much. I think a lot of this is length of the humerus. And especially the ratio upper arm to lower arm.
    I have short a humerus bone, so when I lost a lot of muscle (back in high school I had upper arms the size of my head), after I got heavy into climbing and a good pump I would get that POPEYE-THE-SAILORMAN look.
    I also own a tire shop and not your average corner gas station shop "all we do is tires" about 7000 tires a year so my forearms/hand and back never got a brake.
    Between these two activities it has caused a lot of pronation in the shoulders/back/chest leaving me more prone to injuries, rotatorcuff/weak insertions into bicep, shoulders are always tight and locked up, back goes out all the time. But that's life!!

Oldman., Kakarot and weighted chinup like this.
  14. Kakarot

Kakarot Member

Ugh fuck tires I hopefully never have to do that shit again. The new hunter machines are nice and take most of the work out of it, these new techs will never understand the struggle:oops:.

CrispyRockClimber likes this.
  15. Yea we still have pretty basic equipment. We have the arms to help articulate the runflats and lowpros but haven't pulled the trigger on one of the new fully automated machines yet, still pretty old school. I have another invention to save my back but still in the works can't give details tho.

Kakarot likes this.
  16. Kakarot

Kakarot Member

Bead roller was the best invention in the tire mounting world point blank. Hope it works out for you patents can be a bitch.