Lifting straps : Yeah or Gay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morefyah, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

The only people using these in my gym are old men and wanna be power lifters.
    If your using these and not moving serious weight, I call Gay!!

2. Sp2.0

Sp2.0 Member

I use them on occasion when my elbow tendons flair up. Damn now I've got to tell my wife I'm gay and I didn't know it.

TRT likes this.
  3. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

I’m sure it won’t be the last time. o_O

4. Evom1

Evom1 Member

For bodybuilding they're important. You get to a point where your back can move more weight than your grip can support, at that point you use straps because the goal is back growth, not grip strength

fodsod, Sk8man101, Burleyboyz and 9 others like this.
  5. Sp2.0

Sp2.0 Member

I threw you a softball and that's the response?

statler_waldorf_boooo.jpg

6. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

Like I said I see no issue with people using them to move heavy weight. It’s the people I see using them for everything, Dumbells, cable pulls, bench and shoulder press.
    @Sp2.0 your missing my point. I’m not saying your gay if you use them. It’s the act of using them while using light weight that I think is stupid, oh and pretty gay.

kendallkmw likes this.
  7. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

The muppets, yeah you must be old! :p

Sp2.0 likes this.
  8. Sp2.0

Sp2.0 Member

I got what you were saying. I just like goofing.

You'd be surprised how useful they are when golfers elbow kicks in and you're hard headed and don't want to take time off.

I personally like putting them on when I bench. Now that's a cool look.

9. BigNattyDaddy

BigNattyDaddy Member

Dumbells, bench and shoulder press??? How would that even help them lol

10. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Maybe wrist wraps instead of lifting straps?

Burleyboyz likes this.
  11. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I still use straps from time to time on heavy lifts to help keep my grip, and wear wrist wraps to keep my wrists stable.

12. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Ive always been a raw guy. As in fucking raw. No nothing. Last year i decided to buy some straps to help with certain things. Specifically my pulls. Obviously its helped a ton. I just pulled 730 for a 5lb pr the other day and i couldnt of done it w/o straps.

Another positive effect of using straps ive found is during ALL back work. Rows, rack pulls, pulldowns . Whatever. Because of the way im built my forearms tend to take over. Not any more. I just lock in my strap grip and peel the weight backwards with my lats. The actual working muscle. The intended target. I can do a my entire back workout now with little to no bicep or forearm assistance. Which is the point. Its a pretty invaluable tool come to find out

Dw725, fodsod, DrankSlangin and 5 others like this.
  13. Eman

Eman Member

A lot of people don't know how or when to even use them... One guy at the gym uses them on bench. Wtf.

I could go on and on about the fuckery at my gym... The worst is the weirdos asking for a spot on equipment/lifts that you do not need a spot for. Really.. you need me to spot you on lat pulldowns? How does that work, exactly? Oh, you need a spot on leg press? The leg press you're only quarter repping to begin with?

Straps are the least weird thing going on at my gym.

14. legendary

legendary Member

I use them. Had surgery on both hands and elbows.

15. Logan44551

Logan44551 Member

I agree with trukk, I recently got a pair I use on back day. They really help in taking my arms out of my back lifts. I don't know what eman is talking about, I always use a spot on my lat pull downs.... Lmao

MindlessWork and gr8whitetrukker like this.
  16. jackbladezzz

jackbladezzz Member

100% agree. I only used straps with heavy ass deads, shrugs and sometimes rows. That’s about it. You’ve always got tools who wear shit just to try and ‘look the part’ and not for functionality.

Yup. I genetically have tiny joints, it’s easy for my back to surpass what I can pull. Would never wear them if my grip could handle the weight, only when I couldn’t.

17. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Actually, and I'm not saying that the folks at your gym thinks of this, but at times I wish I had a "spot" or assist on exercises like those, for added negative work past point of failure, get another three four reps in and just focus on slow negative work.

18. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Pretty much the same early attitude and then change as you described.

I do so much TuT in many pulling exercises that my fingers give out, even with lower weights. Also, I have a slight trigger finger developing on my left middle finger so I try to keep that under as little load as possible.

19. SuperSwede

SuperSwede Member

Straps = Not gay.
    Gloves = Gay

20. jackbladezzz

jackbladezzz Member

I remember when I worked out with this guy and he pulled gloves out of his bag because he ‘works in an office environment and didn’t want calluses’.

I also remember when I ignored all his calls/text after that day.