Low cortisol versus high cortisol.

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by chemman, Feb 24, 2010.

chemman

chemman Member

Difference in symptoms? Could stiff/shifty/cracking joints be from low, high, or either?

chemman

chemman Member

By the way there is little to no joint pain....yet. But TMJ and ear pressure symptoms are creeping in.

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

impossible to tell get saliva test to verify.

chemman

chemman Member

Is "damage" reversible upon normalization of cortisol levels?

m_ob

m_ob Active Member

No damage is really done with cortisol unless extremely high as it is a catabolic hormone.

chemman

chemman Member

For a while I thought that my cortisol was insufficient due to "adrenal fatigue." But then I read into cortisol and realized that it is catabolic. Well, all of my connective tissue feels like it's broken down. To me that sounds like the result of chronic HIGH cortisol. But as HAN said, I won't know until I get the saliva testing done.

Every once in a while everything will feel normal and well-lubricated. This has been happening more often lately. And my body hair is growing back.

Am I pulling out of this deep, dark hole?

Let's hope so.

m_ob

m_ob Active Member

As I sadi earlier, catabolic hormone.

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

depending on what stage he is in and most I see are low very rarely see any one high or there will be a fluctating pattern

Electric Eye

Electric Eye Junior Member

HAN,

I posted on the propecia help site regarding my problems, and some of the guys over there thought I might have overactive adrenals, causing high cortisol. They said that I probably had an underlying adrenal disorder after I quit Propecia, and when I took Wellbutrin it tipped them over the edge. Here's the thread:

PROPECIAHELP: Unresolved Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects info & forum

One person there mentioned that he had the same symptoms and was able to lower his cortisol levels by using a benzodiazepine.

My blood cortisol test was high but in range, however the reference range given was for an 8 AM sample and mine wasn't taken until 9:45, and I've heard that blood cortisol tests are usually inaccurate anyway.

Do you think this could be the explanation?

Crazy Crew

Crazy Crew Member

When these symptoms happened to me it was because of low E2.

chemman

chemman Member

Yea I had really low E2 (I am assuming it was 0) about 9 months ago from an arimidex overdose. My life has not been the same since. The problem is that whatever the arimidex did to my other pathways screwed me up to the point that it has been impossible to recover. It made me go hypothyroid and very hypogonadal, whereas before I was just borderline hypogonadal. This further inhibits my ability to recover healthy E2 levels.

My current suspicion is that I may have triggered an autoimmune response from the shock of the arimidex and caused hypothyroidism, which would slow down everything in my body, including testosterone production (and hence E2 and DHT). Just a suspicion. I may have been borderline hypothyroid before all this. Who knows, really. My TSH was .6 but I never had labs for T4, etc. Now my TSH has tripled to 1.8 and I have low free T4.

I am willing to bet that the sheer amount of stress placed on my body has caused some type of adrenal insufficiency as well. (I tested low for DHEA-S) in October

My chest hair is back (after almost fading away almost completely), which makes me think that my Testosterone and DHT is up. This would also mean that my E2 should be on the rise as well.

I still feel very sick (bedridden) sometimes and pretty blah the rest of the time.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.