Low Platelet Count

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by 1cc, Dec 21, 2005.

1cc Junior Member

My platelet count is slightly below the normal range. One of the symptoms is easy bruising, which I have. This is the first time it has dropped below normal.

Platelet Count 143 150-400

A low platelet count can be caused by some sort of internal bleeding. I take 6 grams of fish oil per day and 600iu of vitamin E d-alpha-tocophyrel. Both of these thin the blood, which I'm thinking may be causing this.

Anyone have any information about this?

HeadDoc Psychologist; Super Moderator

good thought! I reviewed Ron Rothenberg's articles on omega 3's before responding and I could not find anything that would directly answer your question. However, an imbalance of the omega's and an ensuing increase in the wrong eiconosoids would have the opposite effect: platlet aggregation. Sorry I don't have a better answer. At my height and weight, 6 gms would not be unreasonable. I'm a big guy (6'1", 235 lbs.). Ron also indicated that the purity of the oil mattered. The closer to pharmaceutical grade the less would be needed.

I guess, if it were me, I'd cut back and retest. On the other hand, my doc would also be able to tell me whether this value is something that I should be concerned about.

cpeil2 Junior Member

Each agent by itself has a pretty mild platelet effect, even in the amounts you are taking (I am on high-intensity warfarin therapy, and I am still allowed up to 800 IU of vit E). But maybe their additive effect is enough to make you bruise a little easier.

How was your Hct? If you had a platelet count done, you must have had a CBC. Hct is ususally how they pick up internal bleeding.

I don't think anti-platelet agents decrease platelet nos., they effect platelet adhesiveness.

Your platelet count is so close to normal, that it is still essentially normal, although it merits a re-check.

1cc Junior Member

I don't think it is a major concern yet, because it is very close to normal. I do however like everything to be within the normal ranges. I will be stopping the Fish Oil and vitamin E for a while and then test again to see if that is the cause. My RBC and Hematocrit are a little above normal, so I donated a pint of blood yesterday at the red cross, which resolved that last time they were elevated.

Another interesting fact is that people usually take blood thinners because the Platelets are what causes blood clotting. I read somewhere that an elevated Hematocrit is less of a concern depending on how high Platelet counts are. I thought that was interesting.

I will be seeing my doc in the next couple of days. I just wanted to see if anyone had any helpfull information about this.

WBC 5.2 4.1 11.3
    RBC 5.69 4.20-5.50 High
    Hemoglobin 16.7 13.0-17.0
    Hematocrit 51.8 37.5-50.7 High
    MCV 91 82-103
    MCH 29.4 27.0-34.0
    MCHC 32.3 30.9-35.4
    RDW 13.1 10.8-14.8
    Platelet Count 143 150-400 Low
    MPV 9.0 7.1-12.1
    Neutrophils 58.4%
    Lymphocites 31.1%
    Monocytes 9.1%
    Eosinophils 0.4%
    Basophils 1.0%
    Nucleated RBC's 0 per 100 WBCS
    Absolute Neutrophils 3037 1500-7800
    Absolute Lymphocites 1617 850-3900
    Absolute Monocytes 473 200-950
    Absolute Eosinophils 21 15-500
    Absolute Basophils 52 0-200
    Absolute Nucleated RBC's 0 0

cpeil2 Junior Member

Actually, come to think of it, a lowish platelet count with an elevated Hct might not be such a bad thing - the elevated Hct increases blood viscosity, which increases risk of clotting. A lower platelet count could help to reduce the risk of clotting caused by the increased blood viscosity.

I'm sure you know that "blood thinners" don't actually effect blood viscosity. Blood thinners like aspirin decrease platelet adhesiveness. The others, like warfarin, inhibit clotting proteins.

FunkOdyssey Junior Member

Might want to check your E2.

1cc Junior Member

Thanks, that was very interesting. My Estradiol is 29 13-54, so I guess that probably can be ruled out.

marianco Doctor of Medicine

Look up the subject "Thrombocytopenia" on Google to find resources about it. A couple:

There are multiple causes of low platelet counts including auto-immune diseases where antibodies to platelets cause platelets to be stuck in the spleen, where they are destroyed; and drug-induced conditions, where platelet production from bone marrow is reduced.

mxim Junior Member

my friend had the same problem and his doc said not to worry;it was because he was on a very low fat diet and worked out. in other words,he was in fantastic shape. better blood flow i suspect.

1cc Junior Member

It's been a couple months now that I stopped the vitamin E and Fish oil. My platelet count has recovered back to normal. I have also noticed that I don't bruise as easily anymore, and after a shot I don't bleed as much. I do however need to donate a pint of blood because my RBC, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit are elevated.

WBC 5.9 4.1-11.3
    RBC 5.83 4.20-5.50 High
    Hemoglobin 17.6 13.0-17.0 High
    Hematocrit 54.2 37.5-50.7 High
    MCV 93 82-103
    MCH 30.2 27.0-34.0
    MCHC 32.6 30.9-35.4
    RDW 12.8 10.8-14.8
    Platelet Count 190 150-400 Normal
    MPV 9.3 7.1-12.1
    Neutrophils 60.7%
    Lymphocites 30.9%
    Monocytes 7.3%
    Eosinophils 0.9%
    Basophils 0.2%
    Nucleated RBC's 0 per 100 WBCS
    Absolute Neutrophils 3581 1500-7800
    Absolute Lymphocites 1823 850-3900
    Absolute Monocytes 431 200-950
    Absolute Eosinophils 53 15-500
    Absolute Basophils 12 0-200
    Absolute Nucleated RBC's 0 0

thanks for the follow up.

FunkOdyssey Junior Member

Hmm, I thought fish oil reduced platelet aggregation (tendency to clump up and clot), not actual platelet count.

You think fish oil directly reduced your platelet count in this case?

pmgamer18 Junior Member

How much fish oil did you take a day my Dr. told me 4 to 5 g's a day but I can't stand the back up taste. I cut back on my fish oil a long time ago went from 12 gel caps a day to 3.

cpeil2 Junior Member

My doc told me that if it has any fish taste to it, it's rancid. The Carlsson's has zero fish taste. It is lemon-flavored, but I think it would have a completely neutral taste even without the lemon flavoring.

pmgamer18 Junior Member

Hay fish has a taste break one of them open and smell it and taste it. My caps are coated and don't back up on me but taking a lot of them coated or not they will back up on me.

1cc Junior Member

Fish oil and vitamin E causes the blood to thin. This in turn increases the likelyhood of bleeding, like bruising easily or other internal bleeding etc. The bleeding causes an increased demand for platelets. The platelet count then decreases because so many platelets are used up.

So, there can be too much of a good thing. I was taking 6grams of fish oil and 600iu of vitamin E per day. The important thing to know when taking anything that thins the blood, is to monitor platelet count which will tell you if you are taking too much.

cpeil2 Junior Member

I take the Carlsson's by the spoonful, it doesn't back up. No fish flavor, no lemon flavor.

1cc Junior Member

I donated blood today, which should bring my hematocrit down to high normal, because it was much higher than usual this time. Usually my hematocrit is 48.4 37.5-50.7, and I'd like to maintain it there.

Does anyone know when is the soonest I could do a phlebotomy again. Where would something like this be done if I have a doctors script for it?

wait 8 weeks for whole blood and 16 weeks for red blood cells. Once you've given with one of the organized services, like United Blood Service, they will call you.

TWMac Junior Member

Morning all,

I'm glad I found this thread. I got a letter from my community blood service in the mail this week. They advised me that my hematocrit was high on my last donation, which, in their words, shortens the shelf life of the pint of blood. They also told me they went back through all of my previous donations and found my hematocrit to be within their range of normal, but still on the high end. Bottom line is, when I go in to donate next time, they want to withdraw a small sample for testing prior to letting me drop off a pint.

Mt questions to you more knowledgeable members is this: first of all, what is the cause of this and is this something to be concerned with? I've done some searching and really haven't found any answers to this yet.

And second question is, I thought donating blood was a good method to help prevent this, or at least keep this under control. I try and donate every 8-9 weeks, which is as often as this blood bank allows. What more can I do to help keep this within the normal range?

I apologize as I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this really hit home with me this morning.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.