Lower Back Support

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by jJjburton, May 6, 2020.

1. jJjburton

jJjburton Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Looking for a weight lifting belt for Someone who works out 5 days a week, for Back support. I was thinking a nylon one for continuous use throughout many different exercises. Anyone else use anything for their back? This is for a friend.

i thought leather was strictly for more squats and deadlifting. Not overall exercising. And leather was more for 1 rep max, stuff.

would a 4 inch or 6 inch be better?

Cause of the lockdown, all these new exercises are difficult since their back was always supported by a machine. So hopefully this will teach them how to use proper form, and slowly remove the belt to do the exercises without the belt, when their strength increases and the gym opens again.

i found a E23 or E26 nylon, velcro slip lock, that looked good. Its 4 inches.

anyone have ideas or incite?

2. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

Typically, weight belts are more for helping to brace your core than for helping with back issues.

I mean, they'll help indirectly with certain lifts because they allow you to stay "tighter" but they're not going to do anything to protect your back by virtue of simply wearing one. For deadlifts and squats, absolutely it will help. For dumbell rows etc. not so much.

NIOSH has conducted an audit of research on the subject of back supports preventing injury and they found that there was no conclusive evidence that lifting belts did anything to prevent injury (keep in mind that this was in relation to industrial applications, not weightlifting specifically).

I hurt my lower back years back and what helped me the most was doing strict weighted back extensions and strengthening the area around the injury.

3. jJjburton

Ok, my thought was it would help with form, and aid with squats. Not every exercise.

i understand the stretching, and core exercise will help more then a belt. But for now I was hoping it would help them. Until they stretch their hip flexors and do core exercises.

4. jJjburton

In the gym its not an issue cause the machines support the back and body so much, but with free weights and squats they are new to that, and during this quarentine all we can do.

5. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

A cheapy belt isn't going to hurt, that's for sure.

I don't know how much your friend squats, but nylon belts aren't the best for heavier weight. If his squat is on the more moderate end then it's probably fine to get nylon.

4 inch will allow more mobility, 6 will let you brace more effectively.

jJjburton likes this.
  6. Villain

Villain Member

A doctor actually told me to save money and just buy the back brace from Home Depot.

jJjburton likes this.
  7. Johnny250

Johnny250 Member

The cheap 5in Rogue nylon weightlifting belt has been a life saver for my lower back. Its great quality for $21.

jJjburton and Villain like this.
  8. jJjburton

Yes found a good nylon one on amazon its 4 inches with lock grip and velcro. Going to try it for harder squats, like front squats or other variations.

Villain likes this.
  9. jJjburton

I found this one called Element 26. Seems really good. 4 inch