marianco---adrenal fatigue

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by mxim, Mar 18, 2006.

mxim Junior Member

are you saying a longer acting stimulant would protect me from potential adrenal fatigue ? is it only seen with short acting drugs like ritalin? can using these drugs cause PERMANANT damade to the adrenal glands?

pmgamer18 Junior Member

I have been on Concerta since the drug came out and I have no problems.

marianco Doctor of Medicine

Adrenal Fatigue and Stimulants

Would you please point to the post where you came to your conclusion? Thanks.

All stimulants (both short and long-acting) demand more output from the adrenal glands. One metaphoric way of looking at this issue is that the adrenal glands are like the engine of a car. Using a stimulant is like pressing the accelerator pedal of the car.

All stimulants can eventually wear down the adrenal glands causing adrenal fatigue. Longer-acting stimulants can also cause adrenal fatigue. However, because the peak blood levels are lower, there is a lower risk of doing so. However the higher dose dose, the higher the risk of adrenal fatigue.

I do not know if they can cause permanent damage to the adrenal glands. I have yet to see a case of that in my more than 15 years of practice.

Total failure of the adrenal glands - an Addison's Disease crisis - quickly causes death (in about a day) since cortisol is absolutely necessary for life.

I haven't seen cases of Addison's disease (severe adrenal insufficiency) in patients treated appropriately with stimulants.

(reposted in adrenal thread)

mxim Junior Member

afrer reading the post about ritalin,i was under the impression that all stimulants cause adrenal fatigue,you never made that assertion. thanks marianco.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.