Meal Planner/Macros Program or Software

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by mdhx3, Apr 1, 2018.

1. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

My time with my trainer has come to an end. I have really enjoyed his help and have experienced impressive results; however, financial changes have made it impossible for me to re-einlist his services.
    I've gotten used to the weekly meal plans he created; and I had a list of things I could substitute for foods I don't tolerate.
    I can use some of his ideas going forward; but I need to be able to "scale" my calories/macros for goals that are changing after this phase. I would also like to incorporate some new foods.
    I know I can look up nutritional content on apps like MyFitnessPal and such; but it is quite labor intensive for a month's worth of diverse meals with condiments accounted for.
    I have found a few such programs online; but the ones that are truly modifiable for TDEE gain/maintain/lose, and macro manipulation are all fee based.
    I would like to hear if someone knows of a good scalable meal planner that is worth the fee charged for its use.

2. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

My fitness pal and a scale and mirror

3. Eman

Eman Member

I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be... Eat what you've been eating and try something new once or twice per week. It's not labor intensive.

4. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

Yeah, you are probably right. I have a tendency to overthink everything. It's just that this is the first time in 15 years I have been truly happy with my appearance; and I don't want to screw up what I have worked so hard at.

Before October of last year, I always assumed carbs were the enemy. My trainer had me add them peri-workout; and the results were amazing compared to what I expected.
    Now, I would like to reduce my calories by 10% to define my abs, etc. In your opinion, where would you reduce calories....carbs, fat, or protein? I ask this because I am only eating 20% carbs now. If I were to go back to 10% or less carbs; I would likely reenter the unproductive ketogenic diet I was in for so long. That may be ok now because I am using TRT doses; but I just don't have the experience to know what to expect.
    Thanks for your help.

5. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

What is your current macro intake and calorie needs? What are your current stats? What's your TDEE?

6. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

4015kCal intake
    carbs= 200gm (20%)
    protein= 450gm (45%)
    fat= 155gm (35%)

Currently: 6'1/2", 258lbs, BF=14% (average between bioelectric scale and caliper results)
    Prior stats: 6'1/2", 236lbs, BF=21% (same method)

TDEE: 3650kCal (calculated 12/08/17)
    My trainer had me (bulk) in order to gain some muscle to increase my BMR before (cutting). I didn't like the idea, but he offered to give me another 3 months if I wasn't happy with where he got me.
    I'm happy and I want to keep using him; but 4 kids in spring athletics has drained my funds. This the first year they are all playing at the same time.

I do believe that I am overthinking it; but much has changed. I have gained a lot (in my opinion) of muscle and lost a good bit of fat.
    Honestly the mirror makes me much happier than the numbers.

7. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

You could def cut back on your cals to keep cutting weight by reducing protein and fats. You don’t need to adjust carbs at this point.

8. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

OK. Which would you suggest, protein or fat?
    I'll admit I had a terrible time stomaching this much food. If I can cut 10% of calories from protein without risking my muscle mass; I would like that. Chicken, in particular, is getting hard to enjoy.

Of note, my creatinine did increase to 1.0 to 1.3 during the last 3 months. I know creatinine will increase with muscle mass; but it did catch my attention. I am scheduled for a serum cystatin-C on Wednesday just to put my mind at ease.
    I did spill some protein in my urine back in mid-January; but I have dipped my urine many times since then with no protein.

9. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Are you still losing weight currently or has that stalled?

10. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

No sir. I wasn't losing at all. I gained 22lbs, much of it muscle; and no fat. I lost fat. I actually can see individual abdominal muscles now where there was zero separation before.
    My goal is changing from the "bulk" my trainer had me do, into a "cut" or refinement of my muscle gains.
    He said the approach was unconventional; but I had a very large muscle mass before I began this, so he said he thought a bulk before weight loss was my best bet.
    If I stayed exactly the way I look right now, I would be definitely happy. But I think I can improve my look now that I have a good workout plan, if I can make the right choices in nutrition for the "cut".

The reason, I use quotations for "bulk" and "cut" is because I am not a bodybuilder at all. I have no desire to compete. I am not a power lifter either; but I consider myself strong. All of my goals are health and aesthetics oriented.

11. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

When you gain muscle you also gain fat, it’s just the way it works. AAS can shift the weight gain towards more muscle but there will always be concomitant fat gain as well. What likely happened is you gained more muscle than fat so your overall body fat could have dropped.

As we speak, are you currently gaining weight or is it staying relatively consistent?

12. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

I understand.
    I gained 1.2lbs in the last 9 days. The weight gain has slowed somewhat since beginning; but still gaining on the current diet.

13. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

You could start cutting by reducing protein by 100-150g and cut fats by 30-50g. Keep this up for a couple weeks and assess your progress. If you’re losing weight then stick to it until it stalls then adjust again. If you maintain weight then reduce calories further.

14. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

Will do. Thank you.

Docd187123 likes this.