Methylprednisolone metabolism

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by chemman, Apr 12, 2010.

chemman

chemman Member

The stated half life for methylprednisolone is 18-26 hours. I calculate that within 5 days the drug is essentially metabolized.

But this is on paper.

How long does it really take for the drug and its effects to completely wear off?

chemman

chemman Member

And I'm really wondering how long a medrol dose pack stays in the body from the last dose.

Thanks in advance.

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

Corticoids when testing should be minimum of 2 weeks to play safe..

chemman

chemman Member

Scally chime in whenever u want.

Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

You are correct in noting that it takes essentially 5 half-lives to be out of the body. But, the effects will still linger on the HPTA. As I have noted before, the predominant side effects of glucocorticoids are euphoria and hypomania. Even low doses of GC cause these psychological effects. Do not take this to mean adrenal fatigue, which is total BS.

chemman

chemman Member

No hypomania or euphoria here. There were a few moments on the dose pack when I felt extra chipper, however.

Coming off the dose pack has given me some intense anxiety and depression. I wonder if it is because of suppression of an already faulty HPTA. Also, the suppression of sluggish adrenal glands as well could be affecting me. This is all speculation, however.

Started feeling a little better this afternoon. I'm almost at 4 half lives since the last dose. Hopefully it keeps wearing off.

chemman

chemman Member

Also been experiencing some nausea today. Maybe it's because of the anxiety? Is this a common side effect from coming off a short course of steroids? I know it's a side effect of coming off of a longer stint of prednisone.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.