Millitary press Form?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by atlmo, Dec 26, 2003.

1. atlmo

atlmo Junior Member

Guys I've been doing mililtary presses for a while now. I am now workinig with 260 pounds while doing seated millitary presses in the Smith. I want to be sure that I am doing my reps correctly. I lower the weight untill my upper arm is parallell with the ground, the n I push it back up. Should I be going down lower or is parallel with the ground the right way to do it?

2. Peace Division

Peace Division Junior Member

This is a good question. I bring the bar down to below my chin and then start back up. Now I have an impingement of my suprasinatus in my left shoulder. I'm not sure if this one exercise is the reason for it, but it may be part of the reason. I'm unable to press 8 lbs. overhead now. Hopefully my ART guy will be able to fix that one up. I'd like to hear what some other bros have to say. Peace.

3. Meathead74

Meathead74 Junior Member

Overhead presses

Man, when I do overhead pressing, I go all the way down to the collarbone. I do 'em standing up, in strict military form (feet together, press around the head), and I don't have any problems....I know alot of guys who only go to the eyes or chin. I think that it's personal preference. I would say get off of the smith machine and do them, but lately, I have definitely become anti machine lately. :eek:

Meathead

4. Phreezer

Phreezer Member

I agree, I think this is a personal preference and one of comfort level...I usually go to about my chin when I do Military..Then I pause and explode the weight back up....I actually do pushpresses as my primary delt exercise, and military as my secondary delt work..but I'm a powerlifter, so my workouts will be a little differant than your own..but still, wrt to form, I'd say anywhere from nose to collar bone is an effective range to build in...and you should go with whatever is more comfortable...

5. atlmo

atlmo Junior Member

Well I here what you guys are saying about personal preference, just for information sake though it should be noted that when my tricep is parrallel with the ground the bar is no where near my nose it is pretty much at my forehead, I guess I have long arms. I'll try bringing it lower and see how it feels.