My doc suggets progesterone supplementation. Wise?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by Yowzer, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Yowzer

Yowzer Member

I have been on .4 ml test cypionate for 12 years and have good results with test in the 800-1200 range depending on time since last injection. For the first time my Estradials were somewhat elevated at 39which was top of range. Doc (actually my wife's gyno)said about 20 is best but I have normally been upper 20's which I thought was fine and has been good for my joints, libido, etc. She wanted to put me on an AI which I didn't want but said she would settle for me taking progesterone. My progesterone was <.5 with recommended range <1.4. She prescribed 10 mg/day. I cannot find much written on progesterone for men. I would be interested in people's thoughts on the ideal Estradial level as well as on supplementing the progesterone which she said would balance the higher estradial and would help with sleep. Thanks!

2. bambam333

bambam333 Member

Imo I would say if you feel good at that level then fuck the dr because it’s a bitch finding and staying in your sweet spot with e2 and if you have found it I wouldn’t throw a wrench in there and up crashing it which is way worse then a little elevated. Some guys feel great at 10 and some at 50 or higher I think it’s more of a ratio to your test levels. If you feel that you don’t feel right and need a change then go for it. Btw I’m talking about the ai I don’t know much about supplementing progesterone someone else will have to chime in on that I have never heard of it

88GENERAL88 likes this.
  3. Yowzer

Yowzer Member

Does anyone else here know anything about use of progesterone by men?

4. GymRaccoon

GymRaccoon Member

I've only read what the late Dr. Crisler had to say about it: Don't take it, it is a woman's hormone........or something to that effect.

88GENERAL88 and T-Bagger like this.
  5. dd340

dd340 Junior Member

You could try taking pregnenolone which is a precursor to progesterone among other hormones. I take it and it doesn’t have much effect on me to be honest.
    Also, please ignore her advice to keep E2 around 20. She’s wrong about that, just leave it alone to fall wherever it ends up when on TRT.

6. Yowzer

Yowzer Member

7. I’ve read the progesterone is an important hormone in men, curbs the negative effects of estrogens, helps keeping the masculine traits, it’s a precursor to T, can help libido, it’s neuro protective etc

8. dd340

dd340 Junior Member

Here is the problem with these studies that show high levels of E2 is correlated to poor health outcomes in males;
    They look at men that have various levels of E2 and when ranked it looks like the men with very high E2 have poor health outcomes which include heart disease. The problem is that people who have high absolute E2 levels almost always have metabolic disease which is what drives their E2 high and their testosterone low. The real reason they have poor health outcomes is due to the metabolic disease and absolutely nothing with E2 which is just a symptom of another disease.
    In studies where they supplement with estrogen to otherwise healthy men they do not have poor health outcomes, in fact it is very protective for men, especially if you have normal or above normal test levels.
    Men would be far better off if they would ignore the “keep your E2 low” dogma.

88GENERAL88 likes this.
  9. Yowzer

Yowzer Member

Thnaks dd340 Very interesting. Are you referring to high quality studies and is this thinking becoming more widely accepted either in the medical or bodybuilding community?

10. dd340

dd340 Junior Member

It doesn’t seem to be gaining any acceptance in the bodybuilding world but it is definitely become more common in hormone optimization and TRT.
    There is a couple of videos and podcasts with Dr Neal Rouzier. He is very influential in male hormones and he quotes many studies that show the health benefits of estrogen in men.
    It’s going to be along time until men finally give up their arimidex though.

11. 88GENERAL88

88GENERAL88 Member

My man, you are taking advice from your wife’s gyno??? Did I misunderstand that?? Wow hope so. Anyhow, your t levels are great brother, for you to start taking progesterone because of a slight elevation of e2 sounds really dramatic. 39 is the high end. You said that you feel great. I dont understand why on earth would you want to disrupt a good thing. Some men feel good at double the norm even triple. I am not going to act like I know anything about progesterone supplementation, if it was me, and I was told I need progesterone, I would add a low dose cycle of tren. 100mg/wk. atleast get the extra added benefits. That’s me though. Lol.