Need advice from car guys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Perrin Aybara, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Right when I pulled into the gym this morning my car shifted down on the driver's side. I got out and my tire was tilted in. I got under it and can see where a bolt and bushing had come out.

Here's the driver's side

20180805_123247.jpg

Here's the passenger side that's still intact

20180805_123224.jpg

Is this as simple as replacing that bushing and nut? I left my car at the gym for now. If I have to have it towed I'd rather wait till tomorrow to avoid weekend rates. If it's something simple I can fix to at least get it home I'd rather do that though. I've never done any front end work, but I don't see anything else wrong with it.

2. rubisean

rubisean Member

Who put the lift on your truck?
    At best I would replace the upper ball joint.

You may be able to get a nut on the ball joint if the threads are not buggered up.

And for Pete's sake put a cotter pin in the ball joint .

3. D-max

D-max Member

You should just be able to put it back together with a new washer and nut. Look at the 2 places I circled for wear. If it was running loose for awhile they may not fit together right. It's a tapered fit and needs to wedge together tight.

20180805_131055.jpeg

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  4. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

It's a 1963 Chevy II. I had it worked on last year and I'm thinking they didn't replace the cotter pins and it must've vibrated off.

I'd really just at least like to get back home in the garage where I can deal with whenever. What about the bushing? Won't it need that to drive?

5. D-max

D-max Member

I think your calling bushing what I'm calling a washer. The flat silver thing under the nut? You can get those from a parts store. And yes definitely put cotter pins thru all those castle nuts.

6. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

No, I see the washer under the castle nut. I meant this piece here.

20180805_132753.jpg

I'm gonna run by NAPA and see if they everything.

7. D-max

D-max Member

Oh that's just a rubber boot to keep dirt and crap out of the ball joint. Wont need it to get you home.

If you just buy a new upper ball joint itll come with everything, including a cotter pin.

It also looks like it's a screw in ball joint, so it shouldn't be too hard to replace it.

Brandaddy and Perrin Aybara like this.
  8. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Just looked and seems to be a pretty cheap part to replace. Luckily it happened in a parking lot where it'll be easy to work on and not while I was going 65mph on the way to the gym.

Thanks, @D-max and @rubisean will update tomorrow when I go work on it. When it happened I was thinking tow bill and repair bill, might get off for like $50 or less now.

ickyrica and D-max like this.
  9. BIGSWEEZ

BIGSWEEZ Member

Put a pin that lower ball joint too. Safety of course.

10. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Car is home safely in my garage. Was able to get another nut on far enough to get it home, but the thread is ruined. Picked up a replacement ball joint earlier and will get that on when I've got some free time.

MindlessWork, Brandaddy and D-max like this.
  11. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Good that you got yourself and your car home safely. That must been one badass old car you got and it's one year older than me!

Would been a dangerous situation if the wheel came entirely off the car when going at highway speed.

12. Kakarot

Kakarot Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

If theirs no hole in the ball joint stud for a cotter pin you need lock nuts on there not castle nuts. Make sure the new ball joint is designed to fit those tubular control arms.

13. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

It's got the hole for the cotter pins. Haven't opened the new ball joint yet.

Kakarot likes this.
  14. Kakarot

It's on your nova right? Most aftermarket control arms use a non factory...or factory for something newer balljoint that may or may not need to be pressed in.

15. Ive seen pics of @Perrin Aybara "63 Chevy II and its pretty bitchin...love those early Nova"s :cool:....now fix that ball joint ! :D ~Ogh

Perrin Aybara and Kakarot like this.
  16. HIGHRISK

HIGHRISK Member

Whoever put those castle nuts back on should be punched in the face. They didn't put the cotter pin back in either side. That
    Should never happen! Make sure you put a cotter pin in the other side as well so you don't have a repeat event.

Kakarot and Perrin Aybara like this.
  17. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

The guy at NAPA said a pipe wrench will open it up where I can swap it and then tighten it back.

I'm a couple states away for work at the moment. Soon.

Yeah, it was a friend of my brother offered to do some work cheap awhile back. Was hurting for money at the time.

18. Kakarot

Not sure what the guy at napa meant by that. Never used a pipe wrench to replace a balljoint. They look pressed in and probably have a snap ring you have to take off first. Autozone (along with most other parts stores) have a loan/rent a tool program, you'll need the ball joint tool they have to make your life easier.

ickyrica and Perrin Aybara like this.
  19. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

He said there was a tool, but they didn't have one and a large pipe wrench would work.

20180808_213030.jpg

Unless I misunderstood he said that top part would unscrew and the ball joint would come out. Everyone else says what you said though about needing to press it.

Kakarot likes this.
  20. Kakarot

They're not threaded but you might get lucky (really lucky) if you turned it with a wrench while popping it with a hammer(preferably a dead blow hammer). Personally I'd find another parts store and rent the tool.lol