No results!

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Bob Smith, Feb 14, 2004.

Cause of no results?

1. Bad training program

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Poor nutrition

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  3. Lack of consistency

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. Believing the magazines contain "information"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Following what the pros do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

What do you guys think is the single most detrimental factor to why so many people make zero gains despite going to the gym for years?

Crappy program, bad eating, consistency, reading the magazines.....what?

2. Peace Division

Peace Division Junior Member

I think it's a li'l bit of all of the above. When I first started working out, I made the usual newbie gains w/o knowing what I was doing in the gym or at the dinner table.

Having garnered a few years of quality experience, I think nutrition rules the roost. As long as you are consistent and have a good workout :D

3. Primo Max

Primo Max Junior Member

Maybe we should add "Devoting 75%of their gym time to arm training" to the list. If you walk in to the gym and the first exercise you do is triceps pushdowns or curls, you'll never be big, end of story. When I voted other, that's what I had in mind.

4. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

I'm going to sit the fence on this one. Like Peace said, you can make a case for all of them. If you are using a killer workout plan but your nutrition is shitty, then so are your gains. If your nutrition is spot on, but you don't squat, dead, clean, row, etc., then your gains are shit. If you are wishy washy and inconsistent with both of them, then your gains are shit.

All in all, BB is like the liberal arts. They all compliment one another.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  5. armsports

armsports Junior Member

1. Not eating enough.

2. Not training legs hard enough.

3. Too many isolation and not enough compound movements.

4. Failure to implement the overload principle.

5. Consistent wussiness.

Sorry I couldn't pick just one cause I've seen em' all so many times!

6. Gavin Laird

Gavin Laird Junior Member

Order of factors...

No stimulus (crap training program) = No potential for gains.

No nutrition = no realisation of gains.

So I'm putting training first. Thereafter how you eat can influence how much progress you make but without the training you will not make any progress at all even if your nutrition is "perfect".

Cheers,

Gav.

7. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

I like that. Good stuff, Gavin.

8. Freddy

Freddy Junior Member

Training.

Definitely training. You can practically starve yourself and not sleep at all and make good gains on the 5x5. As long as your training is really good, you're fine.

9. Phreezer

Phreezer Member

Agreed.. whole heartedly!

10. wic2111

wic2111 Junior Member

Agree 1000%, everything is interlocked and when one link is weak the chain breaks!!!!!!!!!

11. dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

Nutrition IMO, I think some people overlooked the word I highlighted in bold.

12. thick

thick Junior Member

Nobody overlooked it. I voted consistency. If you dont' show up it doesnt matter how good your program is. Now consistently show up with a bad program and you will get some gains but u will b disappointed and not be consistent. Be consistent with a good program and diet doesnt matter to an extent. You can get a very muscular physique on potato chips and ice cream if you are consistent with a good program.

13. Freddy

Freddy Junior Member

I'm in the JS and Louie Simmons camp, in that frankly...I think nutrition is terribly overrated. I maintain my original statement.

14. dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

You must not have read the posts on page one. :)

15. thick

thick Junior Member

;you lost me????

16. dolfe1

dolfe1 Junior Member

I was pointing out that Bob stated the word single and people were responding with answers like it's a combination of things, or it's a lot of different things, these are not answers to the question, but I suppose any opinion is valid here. :)

17. thick

thick Junior Member

well my answer is valid as were a couple of others. Yours was valid also but wrong lol

18. Chip Bronson

Chip Bronson Junior Member

perhaps if you're a genetic superior, this would be the case. but this is just not true for the majority. no way, you're going to practically starve yourself and not get good sleep and make progress. it aint' gonna happen, for the average joe. and there are way more average joes than genetic superiors...

first off, if you don't eat well and sleep enough, you won't have the energy to train properly, especially using the 5x5 method. second, how are you going to add mass even if you can somehow manage to get through a decent workout? out of thin air? i don't think so. training is important, but if you don't get enough fuel and rest, you won't be able to train effectively. no offense, and i admire your knowledge in the training department, but i think you need to re-think and re-word your post freddy. :)

19. Freddy

Freddy Junior Member

JS has seen this work exactly as I've said with a sample pool of some 70 athletes at once, and hundreds and hundreds over a period of many years, with a wide range of genetic abilities from piss poor all the way up to genetic freaks of nature.

My claim is totally backed by actual proof, not theory.

It works.

20. thick

thick Junior Member

A guy can do the potato chip diet every day and party alot and still make gains. Not optimal gains but good strength gains and some muscle gains. I wouldnt go to the extreme of starving but the average guy will get much stronger and will get results regardless of his nutrition IMO. so chip i think you need to reword your post lmao. I have been a pain in the ass today ;)