opinions on email providers

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by borderbound, Aug 11, 2014.

1. borderbound

borderbound Member

Who are some of the best email providers staying under $10 a month ? That will takea prepaid visa for payment ?

2. i just do a two week free trial of anonymousspeech theyre great

3. cazper

cazper Member

NOTE! TRIAL MEMBER! For security/abuse reasons we save IP addresses of trial user.

Abusive language strictly forbidden!

Paid memberships do not show this email footer.

Once you become a paid member all emails sent in your trial period will be anonymized.

workinghard89 likes this.
  4. cazper

cazper Member

Just sayin ^

5. sluggy

sluggy Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Proton mail is the most promising

6. TheSpectre

TheSpectre Member

Securenym = shitty layout IMO

Countermail = won't work on a phone or most tablets. Uses Java.

Anonymousspeech = best all around IMO, but expensive compared to the other two unless you pay for two years at a time.

7. MythotiK

MythotiK Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Mozilla Thunderbird :)

cazper likes this.
  8. fastasf

fastasf Member

I use neomailbox.

9. cazper

cazper Member

"Anonymousspeach trial:"

Your Anonymity Level:OFF Upgrade here
    Membership Until:Trial Membership (14days)

10. cazper

cazper Member

I'm using this now with kleopatra.

11. Bender83

Bender83 Member

x2 also using enigmail for encryption and torbirdy.

There is a thread in general discussion about this that I posted a question in, but maybe this forum gets more traffic, so I'll ask again here. What do these email services (countermail/hushmail/proton, etc) offer over just using PGP with say a gmail address?

A little while back, I quickly glanced over countermail's website ( I think that was the one, not too sure now) and it seems as though its just a web based email service that's hosted overseas, and uses PGP to encrypt emails. So other than being hosted overseas, its basically the same thing as using tbird and enigmail (or whatever you want to use for PGP) w/ a gmail account right?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    newerest likes this.
  12. dper726

dper726 Member

I've used securenym for years. It had never failed. And I feel it is very consistent. After all us humans are creatures of habit :)

Zaphod likes this.
  13. FuriousWO

FuriousWO Member

Increased privacy, US based email providers either scan your current email for "advertising purposes" or will roll right over when homeland security wants everyone email messages. This isn't chicken little "the sky is falling" conspiracy theory, it's the truth.

Using Swiss or other European countries they have better privacy laws but they will now too provide your email messages to the US gvmt if provided with evidence that a crime has been committed.

Also email client is kinda irrelevant to this discussion (thunderbird, outlook, whatever...), it's the provider that counts. But if you are going to go to all the trouble to get an email provider that protects your privacy, why would you download email messages to your local pc or mobile device? Use the given web interface.

14. Bender83

Bender83 Member

I completely believe you about U.S. based email providers "rolling over" and giving your emails to gvmt.

So, U.S. providers will basically hand over whatever the government wants whenever it wants it, and the Swiss/Euro guys will at least require proof from the gvmt of a committal of a crime before they do the same. I can see how it would be safer to use a foreign provider because of that.

Also yes, I would think that if you used a web based secure email provider, it'd be best to use their web interface to be the most secure, I was just using tbird/enigmail/gmail as an example since that's what I'm using. But, if you were downloading sensitive emails to your computer, you could use a shredder program to permanently delete them after you were done right?

15. FuriousWO

FuriousWO Member

Yep using a secure program to delete the emails if you bring them down locally is important too.

Think of security and privacy as layers of defense. You want to have has many controls in place to create defense in depth. Kinda like ( to quote Shrek) peeling back the layers of an onion. You want as many layers as possible to keep yourself safe.

But always remember this is only as good as the persons security on the other end. If they don't follow all these steps then you are only as secure as they are. Weakest link thing

16. FuriousWO

FuriousWO Member

Oh and the same goes if you are using a VPN provider. If your using one of the US based ones like hidemyass or similar, don't. Same rules apply to turning over VPN logs with IP address assignments.

17. Zaphod

Zaphod Member

Whats your opinion on "Private Internet Access" for a VPN?

18. FuriousWO

FuriousWO Member

For my money I would use a foreign provider. Always read the terms of service and privacy policy, but remember that it's an easy thing for Homeland Security, DEA, etc to obtain servers and logs from any US entity.

19. FuriousWO

FuriousWO Member

It's a lot of work for LE to jump through all these hoops for a small time end user. But if your going to take this seriously then do the whole thing IMO.

20. TheSpectre

TheSpectre Member

Then again, IP - biggest UG source ever used gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc... for twenty years and he/they never got caught. Customs is a different animal. If you're smart money can keep you free.