Pia vpn with open vpn

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by bambam333, Jan 5, 2019.

1. bambam333

bambam333 Member

i Don’t have much knowledge in this I’m just looking for a regular vpn but keep seeing that I’m supposed to run open vpn with pia vpn or any vpn that I choose. Is this necessary or would the standalone vpn be fine on its own

2. Vipera1

Vipera1 Member

What's your purpose for the VPN?

Just for ordering products online or other?

Tails OS bootable on USB, +VPN, preferably random wifi, and you are good to.

Btw, make sure nothing us traced back to you.

mr_meanor, MindlessWork and bambam333 like this.
  3. bambam333

bambam333 Member

Yea pretty much just anonymity for whatever I’m doing

4. I’ve used NordVPN, they don’t keep logs so if even if LE issued them a warrant they have nothing to give them but their hq is outside the US, Panama, so that’s likely never happening. It’s especially good if you don’t know much or don’t want to do much configuration on your own, tho you could.

MindlessWork and bambam333 like this.
  5. ryan1007

ryan1007 Junior Member

Use Nord as well and am very satisfied with it. Very easy to use and the app works well.

bambam333 and The Terminator like this.
  6. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Heard good things about them as well and they do support OpenVPN which is perfect for my Linux rig.

The Terminator likes this.
  7. Yea i like it, a lot of servers to choose from and openvpn is the default set up on the app.

Oh I just remembered if you or the OP or anyone else is interested I think the coupon 70off is still valid for 1 year subscription. Might be $70 off the full price not sale price not sure, regardless still cheaper than most of their promo prices.

MindlessWork likes this.
  8. MindlessWork

I will check it out as never heard about that special.

The Terminator likes this.
  9. bambam333

bambam333 Member

Yea I think for January the 3 year subscription is like 100 bux

10. I heard it from a guy on a forum, you just click on the coupon button and enter the code, 99% sure it’s for 1 yr only

11. MindlessWork

I'll check that out as well and maybe use $100 from my tax refund for it.

12. bambam333

bambam333 Member

Yea I just checked again at the nord site it says 9 hours left for 2.99. A month for 3 years comes to 107 and some change it says

13. Glocker

Glocker Member

I would not use PIA or any vpn service domiciled in the US regardless of my residency. US intel agencies already know if you use your right hand or your left for picking your nose and they log that datapoint forever to be used for later analysis. And depending on where you are located I would look for a service provider in a country that is hostile or at least not under the political or financial influence of your home country. Nordvpn has a good reputation overall but there has been some controversy about them linked to a data-mining company. Search for Tesonet; There could be some truth or it could be a smear campaign. There is no way to be 100% anonymous using vpn-only to connect but i think each of the reputable ones are just as secure as the other. As far as openvpn; as i understand this its just a connection protocol that may vpn providers give you as an option other than connecting using their client. So when you say you are supposed to use openvpn is this for linux? I am not sure any vpn providers have a client for linux and you probably need the openvpn to access their servers. If you are running thru windows most vpn providers have a client you install on the desktop and using openvpn instead is optional not required.

bambam333 likes this.
  14. Sniggles

Sniggles Member

Has anybody used the free VPN offered by protonmail?

15. balco

balco Member

Protonmail is trustworthy and has proved it in the past.

Sniggles likes this.
  16. balco

balco Member

Proton VPN and AirVPN are the both two I could recommend for anonymity. There are other very small very secure VPN'S but those are the two I'm aware of.

When it comes to VPN's you generally need to choose between speed and security. For example express VPN is one of the fastest but they are a corporation and with that comes security issues (generally).

If you are just using the VPN for AAS you can't get better than proton if you take price, security and speed into consideration.

Last thing; it's a major pro if your VPN provider provides a warrant canary where users can see each and every warrant the VPN receives.

17. mr_meanor

mr_meanor Member

I personally just pay 70$ a year for IPVanish. It is really fast and has great apps for my phone and other devices, which is ideal because I stayed logged in 24/7. It is a no log vpn, so even though it is based in the USA, if for some reason the feds pulled a warrant they have no back logs to provide. If I didn't pay for IPVanish I would use proton.

18. mr_meanor

mr_meanor Member

The only 100% secure method