Protonmail currently under massive DDoS attack - out of service 36 hours and counting.

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by Millard Baker, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Protonmail has been under a massive DDoS attack that has taken its services offline for over 36 hours and counting. It has emphasized that all data is "safe and untouched" but it is seeking outside assistance to mitigate the attack and looking for other datacenters in Switzerland "brave enough" to host its servers. Protonmail's twitter page is the source of updates:

https://twitter.com/ProtonMail

screencapture-twitter-com-ProtonMail.jpg

2. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

I read this earlier. This is killin me. Proton was my #1 and safemail was my backup. Now I have no email (besides gmail). :(

heady muscle likes this.
  3. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

DDos?

4. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

https://protonmaildotcom.wordpress.com/

For people who don’t know what a DDOS attack is, here is a metaphor that best illustrates it:

Imagine yourself as a car on the freeway. You want to access ProtonMail, so you are driving to visit our site that’s located in Switzerland. Because the internet is amazing, it takes less than a second to arrive. During a DDOS attack, millions of fake cars join you on the freeway and cause a massive traffic jam. The result is that ProtonMail is unharmed and perfectly fine, but no one can visit because of the grid-lock.

5. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

It's back online.

6. DTdr2

DTdr2 Member

I can't help but wonder which gov/agency could be responsible. Proton must be doing something right.

MindlessWork likes this.
  7. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

The two posts on Protonmail's twitter time line immediately before the DDoS posts were about USA/CISA and UK/Investigatory Powers Bill.

flenser and gr8whitetrukker like this.
  8. pumpingiron22

pumpingiron22 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I noticed this. do you think gov hired hackers????

MindlessWork likes this.
  9. caveman72

caveman72 Member

ya its my first safe encryption email. how safe honestlu is out emails

10. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Protonmail is under DDoS attack again. It says it is a sophisticated attack with "capabilities more commonly possessed by state sponsored actors."

They have set up a gofundme page to raise donations for top-of-the-line DDoS prevention solutions:

https://www.gofundme.com/protonmaildefense

11. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

Damn. I went on trying to check and it was down again.

I read that they paid a 6000 bitcoin ransom earlier to get them to stop. Then the attack started back up.

Looks like I may have to find a new email service.

Darman likes this.
  12. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

No email service is safe these days. What about tutanota? They getting attacked too?

13. Darman

Darman Member

I just joined Tutanota, they are fine. Guess in this day and age we need multiple protected accounts

14. LifeSTRONG

LifeSTRONG Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I have them but from my understanding they don't have pgp encryption available at least from what I've seen.. Just end to end encryption. Man I was looking into proton mail too... That's crazy how you going to pay a 6000 btc random... Then ask to gofundme after you give away your Bitcoin.. Your only inviting more attackers..

Bradly and Darman like this.
  15. heady muscle

heady muscle Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Proton is still down for me. Good heads up Millard. First Safemail and now this. What the fuck is going on? The Feds are going nuts.

16. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

That looks like what happened. Some think a second group started a DDoS attack after Protonmail paid the first group.

17. ROB581211

ROB581211 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I just got into my account

18. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

LifeSTRONG and heady muscle like this.
  19. Darman

Darman Member

Still down for me, that's weird

20. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I'm good. Just logged in