ProtonMail now providing VPN

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by Eman, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Eman

Eman Member

ProtonMail makes its free VPN service available to everyone

ProtonMail, the encrypted email created by CERN and MIT scientists, has released a new product in response to the administration's roll back of Obama-era internet privacy rules. Starting today, you can try out the company's VPN service, which was in beta testing by 10,000 initial users for a year, by getting it from the official ProtonVPN website. The great thing about it is that it has a free tier that's free forever. It might not be as robust as the paid ones, but it still routes your connection through multiple encrypted tunnels in three countries.

By offering free options, the company can reach more people, especially now that there's a lot more interest in using VPN all over the world. In the US, the new FCC chairman and various Senators want to kill net neutrality in addition to nullifying rules that protect user data. UK Prime Minister Theresa May wants to regulate the internet. People in China, Egypt and other places where the internet is heavily censored also need VPNs to get around restrictions, while others need the service to keep their info secure and private.

If you decide to stick with ProtoMail's service as your primary VPN provider after using it for a while, you can always choose to pay later to help the company continue offering its free services. ProtonMail says it relies on user upgrades to keep the company running, because (in its own fighting words) it doesn't "abuse user privacy to sell advertisements" like "Google and Facebook."

ProtonVPN

tandd6, Bigdog08, 8654 and 9 others like this.
  2. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I use protonmail and will check out the VPN service. If it works for me I am willing to pay for it.

Thanks for sharing this @Eman !

3. master.on

master.on Member

Insteresting

Keep in mind that VPN needs download (that may contain spyware) to work. Be careful
    Maybe protonmail in any browser was secure before, not anymore with the potential spyware.

4. MindlessWork

I am sure we might have heard about it by now if that were the case. But yes it is a good point there.

5. Eman

Eman Member

You're the equivalent to spyware on Meso, sort of like a digital cockroach.

TRT, gr8whitetrukker, Ripped and 2 others like this.
  6. System7

System7 Member

A retarded digital cockroach

TRT, gr8whitetrukker, Ripped and 2 others like this.
  7. master.on

master.on Member

Ask yourself
    Since when does NSA hold press conference on their new spyware developments?

8. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

How does ProtonVPN turn TOR on and off for all traffic?

MindlessWork and Ripped like this.
  9. MindlessWork

They don't, and users have to still be on guard as VPN is not always what is cracked up to be.

10. Eman

Eman Member

Not positive I understand your question, or maybe it was rhetorical, but I believe it's manually turned on and off.

11. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Ok. I just figured it out. You must select and connect to a specific ProtonVPN TOR node. ProtonVPN has only 3 TOR nodes at the moment - in US, CH and HK e.g. CH#9-TOR:

protonvpn-tor-servers.jpg

Eman likes this.
  12. TRT

TRT Member

So, when Chris one do we choose?

13. I will be giving the VPN a try. Better to loop in too much security vs not enough

Since the alphabay take down, I'm a little creeped out. Especially since LE intentionally went after users by hijacking hansa. This was a sobering read:

Five Lessons from the Hansa and AlphaBay Busts

Roger rabbit and MindlessWork like this.
  14. 8654

8654 Member

Good stuff. Appreciate guys like you. Thanks.

15. MindlessWork

I also have a funny feeling that secure chat apps are now another target. The new update to Wickr will make only the paid pro version really secure and the free one won't be as secure.

16. meatball59

meatball59 Junior Member

Tried both proton mail and vpn and the only thing I don't like is whenever you log in its in your ISP history but I gave Tor browser and mail2tor a shot and there is nothing in your browser history at all.

Tags: