Push/pull meet prep

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by Brandaddy, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Just signed up for my first powerlifting meet. I've been wanting to compete for the longest time but life always gets in the way.

I just tested my maxes and I'm at a 585 conventional deadlift and a 375 bench, I currently weigh 200lbs, and will be competing at 205, so I luckily shouldn't have to worry about cutting at all. Hoping to hit a 600+ deadlift and a 385 bench.

I personally prefer a higher volume / frequency routine. So if you're looking to switch things up and want to try a program I've used, and have used with other people to help them also increase their total, feel free to follow along.

I'm off for the weekend, but I'll be back in the gym Monday and will start updating then!

Bigxj, Oldschool, Kakarot and 4 others like this.
  2. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Weight today was, 201.8

Workout was,

3x5 squats @ 405lbs
    3x5 paused bench @ 305lbs
    3x5 deadlifts @ 470lbs

This was my first time since last year that I have done working sets this heavy. It was a little rough, but I got them all up without acquiring any new injuries, so I would consider It a successful day. Haha.

3. Glad to see you back my man

Brandaddy likes this.
  4. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Weight today was 204.2

Workout was,

3x8 lat pull down
    3x8 t-bar rows
    2x6 seated db press
    4x8 weighted dips
    4x15 triceps pushdowns
    5x8 hammer curls
    1x20 db curls
    4x10 th curls

Decent little accessory workout today, got a pretty good arm pump.

Gobuckeyes0122 and ickyrica like this.
  5. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Yeah, it's been awhile. All the family and personal stuff going on kind of knocked me off track for awhile. I seemed to have maintained my strength and size pretty good though, so now it's just gains city from here.

6. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Weight today was, 204.2

Workout was,

3x4 beltless paused front squats @ 275lbs
    3x4 paused bench @ 310lbs
    3x8 leg extensions
    3x8 leg curls
    4x15 calf raises

I've been having some elbow pain the last week now, so I decided to swap back squats for front squats. Good news is I did them 100% raw and paused and they still felt pretty light. I might try 315x3 for my next session.

Gobuckeyes0122 and ickyrica like this.
  7. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Been digging on front squats for a while now. Really honest squat position for me, no cheating form at all.

Kakarot and Brandaddy like this.
  8. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

I like them. I might just swap them for back squats for awhile seeing as I'll probably only compete push/pull anyways.

ickyrica likes this.
  9. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Weight today was, 204.2

Workout was,

3x3 deadlifts @ 495lbs
    3x12 lat pulldowns
    3x12 seated cable rows
    3x12 lateral raises
    4x8 preacher curls
    1x30 db curl
    3x30 db curl
    1x30 db curl
    3x15 db curl
    4x8 skull crushers
    1x30 triceps pushdowns
    3x15 triceps pushdowns
    1x30 triceps pushdowns
    3x30 triceps pushdowns

Deadlifts felt good. Obviously heavy, but I felt as if I still could have squeezed out a few more reps even on the last set.

ickyrica likes this.
  10. ickyrica

What's with the progression? High rep/1 set into half the reps and 3 sets, and back and forth? Is that from anything specific or something that you do own your own?

11. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

It's something I kind of copied from a program I ran once. I like it, for some reason it gives a pretty killer pump. 4 sets in your arms are just full of blood and you can hardly even do your reps, the last 3 sets are pretty nasty after that. Haha.

ickyrica likes this.
  12. ickyrica

Nice, I like stuff like that sometimes

Brandaddy likes this.
  13. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Weight today was 204.6
    Workout was,

3x3 beltless paused front squats @ 315lbs
    3x3 paused bench @ 320lbs
    3x12 leg extensions
    4x8 calf raises
    4x15 calf raises

Fronts squats were pretty smooth. I almost dropped one of the reps but held it up by my thumb. Ha. I'll have to say 315 was a good 3 rep, any heavier probably would have been some grinders.

ickyrica and Gobuckeyes0122 like this.
  14. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Weight today was, 205.6

Workout was,

4x5 beltless paused front squats @ 275lbs
    4x5 paused bench @ 305
    4x5 deadlifts @ 470lbs

Kind of bummed out... I feel strong as fuck, even with more volume all the reps are still coming up smooth. The problem is I wanted to bulk into the meet, but two weeks into prep I'm already .6lbs over... It'll be hard to get those dirty bulk gains watching what I'm eating. Lol

ickyrica and theprodgicalson like this.
  15. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Weight today was 203.4

Workout was,

2x8 db bench
    3x8 lat pull down
    3x8 t-bar rows
    3x8 db press
    5x8 hammer curls
    5x10 db curls
    4x8 skull crushers
    4x15 triceps pushdowns

Started to get a little flare up in the elbow on the db bench. I toughed it out though and it didn't get too bad. It's been about half an hour since the gym, and the inflammation has almost completely subsided.

16. What weight class do you want to compete in?

17. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

I'm competing at 205 for this meet. I really want to hit the iron hard after this and see if I close in on a 600 raw squat and 700 deadlift. If I could be benching low 4's squatting around 600, and deadlifting almost 7, I might as well try to get into nationals next year at 205.

Gobuckeyes0122 and Kakarot like this.
  18. USAPL then I take it?

Brandaddy likes this.
  19. Brandaddy

Brandaddy Member

Yeah. Considering I'm basically natural at the moment I figured I would. They're the only federation that is actually good in my area. Definitely some really good competition at my weight.

20. Good luck bro! Sounds like your killing it. I hope to hit those numbers next year.

Brandaddy likes this.