Question about split

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by k0rkscrew, May 30, 2019.

1. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

Hey guys I have a question and would really like to hear your thoughts. It's about working chest/triceps and back/biceps on same day. I see this quite a bit in splits and would like your input.
    When working the chest, the triceps are being hit indirectly and same with biceps when working back. SO, I did this in the past but found my triceps just couldnt push as much weight as I knew they could after doing chest, same with biceps after back. I alternated and would do triceps before chest but then found I couldnt push as much weight doing chest due to triceps being hit first... same with back biceps. Eventually I just thought wtf why not hit chest and biceps on the same day and then hit triceps and back. So my split would look something like...
    Chest/biceps, Legs, back/triceps...then shoulders and another leg day. So pretty much I'm hitting biceps directly and then 48hrs later Indirectly(same with triceps) activating the muscle twice. I found I was able to push more weight this way by avoiding doing chest/tris and back/bis on same day.
    Ok so my question is, does that make sense or is it better to hit them both directly and indirectly on the same day? Haha I'm sorry if this is a simple answer or if I'm missing something obvious. Would appreciate your input on the matter. Just a guy trying to get the most out of my efforts :)

maxyshot likes this.
  2. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

Guess I should also add that certain workouts with back or chest can obviously hit the biceps or triceps more then others so that would come into play. Also technique, but I think you guys get where I'm coming from...

3. mr_meanor

mr_meanor Member

I personally do back/bi and chest/tri splits, but I go real hard on the former and just finish with a few sets of the latter. Then I dedicate a day to arms and do all bi/tri supersets that day. (My favorite day)

This was recommended to me years ago and not only did my arms grow, my back and chest showed improvement from the extra sets not saved for the 2nd half of my split.

T-Bagger and k0rkscrew like this.
  4. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

Ah ok, yes that makes sense. I am a little over 6'3 and have always had a hard time gaining mass on my arms. That is interesting tho, thank you very much for the reply. I also work in construction and take a beating at work Haha that's another thread tho... I will get this figured out!!! :mad:

5. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Have to find what works best for you.

I’ve done chest/tri and back/bi, that + a dedicated arm day, just a dedicated arm day, and gone as far as arms every day.

They all have their place.

6. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

Actually with the split I have now I can definatley work in an arm day. I am surprisingly strong for how lean my arm are compared to my core but I just cant seem to get that mass even tho the weight goes up... I will give that a try and see how i respond. Thanks for the input Mac and Meanor! Once I get this figured out I will def post what worked in Hope's of maybe helping others with same problem.

7. Mac11wildcat

One big key...keep the weight wheee you can FEEL the muscle work. Don’t be afraid of reps as low as 6 and as high as 15. NEVER leave the gym without a nasty pump on arm day. Straight sets. Supersets bis and tris. Drop sets. Work all angles.

T-Bagger, mr_meanor and k0rkscrew like this.
  8. mr_meanor

mr_meanor Member

So important

Mac11wildcat and k0rkscrew like this.
  9. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

Arms are where I get my best pumps and oddly enough where I excell... still not hitting that sweet tho. I do hit long and short head and bracealis, various techniques. My forearms tend to get in the way as far as pumps sometimes however so iv recently been trying different approaches like an open hand with plates(sorry dont know what that is called). I also wonder if work could be hindering my recovery time since I do very heavy lifting all day. It def effects my legs... but that's yet another thread Haha :(

10. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

So I got a new plan of attack AND I actually had my wife make a video of me doing some curls. My core is not swaying, no problem there but my elbows are actually moving a bit too much forward, activating my front delts and messin with the strength curve. Front delt will active for a FEW degrees to stabilize but I def am going a BIT too far. I was surprised, it felt good with no cheating(swaying of the body and elbow movement). We are talking very minimal amounts here, not swaying my body and swinging around like crazy Haha but still. Also i mentioned my forearms were getting too much of a pump and sure enough my wrists are too far forward or neutral rather then extended back a bit. So along with playing around with rep and weight ranges, i am going to utilize the "no money" and "drag" curls more to get away from that front delt activation. I obviously am no pro but I thought I for sure had curls down... just goes to show. So again, being where I'm at for training, taking a step back, lowering the weight and making sure technique is on point is very important, esp when fatigue starts to set in. Little adjustments like this will make a difference and its important(for me anyways)to make sure every now and then I look at technique and adjust accordingly. Just thought I'd post this up for some other novice lifters like myself. It's not all about sets and numbers and getting weight from point A to B. Dont be afraid to lower weight or worry cuz people may be watching... you will thank yourself later!

11. maxyshot

maxyshot Junior Member

My new 5 day split is this..

arm day [tricep and bicep]
    leg day
    shoulder day
    back day
    chest day
    [rest day] then startover

12. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

So you train "purely for strength" but you do a five day bodypart split?

Did your parents play a lot of full-contact sports with you as a toddler?

13. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

Try throwing in some heavy rep pause work for arms. That helped me a lot.

Pick a weight that will cause you to hit failure at 7-10 reps, take about 10 deep breaths and hit it again AMRAP. Repeat once more.

They suck in a good way.

k0rkscrew likes this.
  14. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

They used him as the ball in their rugby league.

FourOneDeuxFitt likes this.
  15. Mac11wildcat

Did anybody ask you? Aren’t you too concerned with your prolactin driving your small dick and arm numbness?

16. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

Hey, lay off! He got a trainer and his trainer has let him know we’re a bunch of dumb asses!

FourOneDeuxFitt and mr_meanor like this.
  17. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

Haha just got caught up on wtf is going on... love this place.

Anyways!!! Ya switched things up, thanks for the tips. Every now and then progress stalls and I just start questioning everything n wtf I'm doing. Sometimes just need to hear it from others Haha. I have more time in the gym now finally, dedicated arm day in there. Went back to chest/tris with just few accessory sets for tris after focusing on chest, same with back/bis. Forearm pumps were def getting in the way. Still got good pump but nothing like I should have been achieving. The pause method sounds great too, keep the muscle under tension rather then relaxed when alternating DB's... I'll get this. Had my first just arm day ina while yesterday and shit what a dif. Had some bad habits I picked up and really just went back to basics, like Mac said, just making sure I really FEEL that muscle working. Thanks again for the help guys, keep you posted on progress.

Mac11wildcat likes this.