Rear delts get sore after bench press

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Forum' started by Apexvallen, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Apexvallen

Apexvallen Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

What could I possibly be doing wrong? Elbows too flared?

2. Bigxj

Bigxj Member

How far down on your chest do you take the bar

3. Probably not a bad thing tbh. If I retract my scapula a lot and use a proper bench setup which I don't often do I get pumped rear delts.

Ozzy619 likes this.
  4. Apexvallen

Pretty high. Half way between collar bone and nipples.

Oh, really?

5. Bigxj

Bigxj Member

It help to bring it to the nipple or lower and tuck the elbows at the end. Might get some more power out of it too

6. Apexvallen

Thankyou, I will try that.

Bigxj likes this.
  7. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

Sounds like a rotator cuff issue. Do you ever work the rotator cuff?

Burleyboyz and CrispyRockClimber like this.
  8. I also alway try to do this but sometimes by the end of the set I find my shoulders moving forward as I push out the last part of the motion kind like when doing triceps extension, the back can start to hunch over if you don't focus on form.
    Make sure your scapulas and shoulders stay in contact with the bench keeping shoulders and chest flat no "bowing up"

9. Apexvallen

No I never have. I had somewhat rounded shoulders which I am slowly correcting through physical therapy. Now that I think about it, I should have mentioned that.

CrispyRockClimber likes this.
  10. I've found that Trigger-Point massage and fascia stretch therapy have been very beneficial to correct and easing then pain. Anything you've found to work best?

11. Apexvallen

Fascia stretching for sure. And I use my handheld electric pulse therapy thing back there and it makes the pain go away till next time I bench. Its sounding more and more like I have to focus on keeping my shoulders flat against the bench.

12. I've had one of those electric stim devices in my closet since PT they game ur to me for free. Never used it tho, the first time at PT they hooked me up to their Stim I had a sore back (from disc to scapula even down to my pinky) for two weeks. I assume they just placed them wrong. Maybe I'll give it a try it only runs on 2 double AAs can't be that powerful.

13. Apexvallen

Yeah theyre a bit hit or miss. I find it fixed my 'grapplers shoulder'. (knot behind the shoulder blade). I find they loosen me up a bit. If I am doing bis and chest at the gym that day, I will hit em for 5 mins each at moderate intensity with the electric massager and I swear I feel more loose and limber.
    Thanks for your replies btw.

14. Ozzy619

Ozzy619 Member

I used to get this too from poor set up and elbow positioning. @mghoward74 has a good stretching guide that helped me a lot. He actually has a thread dedicated to it. Just search his posts and youll find it.

Oldschool, Apexvallen and Oldman. like this.
  15. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

I was just about to say my elbow position makes a huge difference in how my shoulders feel after pressing. Keep the wrists stacked(not rolled back) and elbows out not tucked.

16. C-Dale

C-Dale Member

I like a shoulder width grip and keep the elbows in close to the torso when going thru the motion of the lift. So the starting position has my hands/arms inline with the shoulders. elbows in, not out.