Rep Progression

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Gbro, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Gbro

Gbro Member

I'm getting older. I've hurt my shoulders a few times. My back is fubar. Joints are achy and stiff. I'm using mostly dumbbells and avoiding low rep/heavy weight.

For shoulders I'm doing 5 sets of ten reps for front shoulder raises, and the same for side shoulder raises.

When I can complete ten reps on the last set, I repeat the weight the next time, but pause at the top for a one count. When I get all my reps that way, I go for a two count. At this point, I up the weight and start the cycle over.

I'm doing shoulders twice a week. I've been using this scheme for about four weeks now. So far the shoulders feel good, and I'm comfortable with my progress.

Any thoughts or feedback?

2. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Progressive overload can be achieved in a number of ways: weights, reps, sets, TUT, etc.

Seems to me like it’s working if you’re happy with it.

EazyE and Gbro like this.
  3. notdeadYET

notdeadYET Member

I call bullshit. Leave the fat girls alone and you'll feel better.

And yes, I'm in the over 40 crowd, rheumatoid arthritis setting in. Do what feels good. There are days I avoid squats and deadlifts if my back is FUBAR. My shoulders generally feel good tho so I get to go heavy on my presses.

Gbro likes this.
  4. Gbro

Gbro Member

I'm basically using TUT as a baseline for increasing weight.

5. Gbro

Gbro Member

Shoulders are all I've got left, I don't want those going fubar too!

6. Switcher

Switcher Member

Any lifting scheme is good if you see benefit. Don't be too myopic into believing any system is the end all though. Variation is key.

My lessons learned as I am aging are the value of stretching before lifting, using wraps on vulnerable joints, and keeping covered up until I warm up. Frankly, everyone always talks about stretching but in 36 years I never see too many people ever doing it.

Gbro likes this.
  7. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

For the most part stretching after training is more beneficial. Active warmups and such work better pre, but whatever keeps you safe and in the gym long term.

jJjburton, bbrsimon50 and EazyE like this.
  8. Gbro

Gbro Member

That's something I need to do more. I always talk about it, but rarely do any stretching.